I just got Adobe Soundbooth and I've been trying to record stuff. I hooked up my amp (Line 6 Spider II 30W) into the mic jack and recorded a few things. The problem is that the quality is horrible. I want it to sound close, or as close as I can get it, to the real thing. I'm new to recording so I have almost no clue about what I'm doing. Can anyone help?

PS: Is Adobe Soundbooth a good program to record music with or should I try another program like Audacity?
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
It's more of an editing/mastering software than a recorder. Try a free multitracker like Ardour or Reaper and se if you find that more useful.

As for the 'horrible quality' it shouldn't be that bad. It could be to do with the line6's speaker simulator (or lack of) on the line out. It should also be plugged into your PC's Line In jack, not the microphone.
Quote by kyle62
It's more of an editing/mastering software than a recorder. Try a free multitracker like Ardour or Reaper and se if you find that more useful.

As for the 'horrible quality' it shouldn't be that bad. It could be to do with the line6's speaker simulator (or lack of) on the line out. It should also be plugged into your PC's Line In jack, not the microphone.

I tried recording with audacity but I got the exact same sound as with soundbooth.

Can you explain the 2nd part of you quote a little more plz. I have a small cable in my CD/MP3 IN jack on my amp and the other end of the cable in the mic jack on the computer. Is this wrong and if so, how should it be?
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
Quote by deathnote29
I tried recording with audacity but I got the exact same sound as with soundbooth.

That comes as no surprise. The recording software itself doesn't have any noticeable effect on the recorded sound (the dry signal, before you actual do anything with it using the software, EQ, FX, etc).

Recording into your stock soundcard from your amp will never sound great, and will mostly likely sound pretty poor. Ideally, you want to record using an audio interface. This is a unit which connects to your computer using USB or firewire, which you can then connect instruments or mics to. Read the FAQ to get some information, then ask any more questions you have here.
There is poetry in despair.