I'm an intermediate guitar player, and I seem to have hit a wall.

I don't seem to be getting any better. Do any of you have advice on how to progress my playing beyond medium difficulty songs, and take that next step in my playing?
Not an option. No money + 6 courses in my final year of university + 6 volunteer services in uni and the community = no time for formal lessons.

I can only play when I get a spare hour here or there, usually once every few days.
Instead of just trying to progress to the next level, try taking this time to learn songs you really love. Just play music for the sake of enjoying it. Sometimes you gotta let go to progress farther.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Try to play harder songs at a slower tempo. Increase the tempo as you being to feel more comfortable with the song.
Quote by Srgt. Pepper
Well thats kind of your problem right there.

That's silly advice. You don't need to play all day, every day to progress.

My suggestion is to listen to unfamiliar music. Pandora is a great website for finding new music you've never heard and it's all free.

Don't worry about progression. It has a way of sorting itself out. I'd also recommend trying to play with friends (if you don't already) or even get yourself a small gig or two. They do wonders for upping the excitement level.
practice with a metronome

****e's hard... play with it speeding it up and slowing it down
The one thing that I find myself doing is worrying about not progressing for a while, forgetting about it, becoming dedicated to learning some song that is normally out of my league, and then learning it, and then learning some easy songs, and then magically finding myself better than I thought I was.

It is counter-intuitive because we have been taught to practice before we do anything since we were young, but after learning the fundamentals, and as long as you have all the techniques you need, the best practice is to learn songs and enjoy doing it.
Quote by captivate
Instead of just trying to progress to the next level, try taking this time to learn songs you really love. Just play music for the sake of enjoying it. Sometimes you gotta let go to progress farther.

This.

Actually, to be completely honest, the only times I've seen myself get better at guitar is when I learn songs that I love, or songs from artists I love.

Like recently, I learned my first Stevie Ray Vaughan song, Life By The Drop. Not particularly hard, and I learned it pretty easily, but it helped build my confidence up that I can play harder songs than just chording and strumming.

Right now I'm working on Relient K's "Getting Into You". There is a part where you have to jump from an E chord to playing

G|--9--|
D|--9--|
A|--7--|
E|--9--|

Again, not incredibly hard, but its a challenge for me at my very low skill level.

And I got into Jack Johnson, so that has really helped with hand strength/barre chords.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
This.

Actually, to be completely honest, the only times I've seen myself get better at guitar is when I learn songs that I love, or songs from artists I love.

Like recently, I learned my first Stevie Ray Vaughan song, Life By The Drop. Not particularly hard, and I learned it pretty easily, but it helped build my confidence up that I can play harder songs than just chording and strumming.

Right now I'm working on Relient K's "Getting Into You". There is a part where you have to jump from an E chord to playing

G|--9--|
D|--9--|
A|--7--|
E|--9--|

Again, not incredibly hard, but its a challenge for me at my very low skill level.

And I got into Jack Johnson, so that has really helped with hand strength/barre chords.

I dont get your little diagram thing.. but G to E is relatively easy, but you're doing really high barre chords, huh?
his diagram is just tablature form, so he's jumpring from E chord all the way down on the 1st and 2nd fret to a 4 fingered barre down on the 7th and 9th frets...so i think he's just saying its an example of how he becomes better, doing things that are just above his skill level and practicing it and becoming good at it.

as far as answering the post, learning guitar seems to happen like that, you hit a plateau and stay there for a while, then one day you realize you can do things you couldnt before...at least thats how it happens for me. just keep playing and practicing and you'll improve as long as your really into it.

who needs formal lessons
The way I get past these blocks is to learn a song slightly out of your league and really stick to it or to start playing a new style of music.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by ReChord
The one thing that I find myself doing is worrying about not progressing for a while, forgetting about it, becoming dedicated to learning some song that is normally out of my league, and then learning it, and then learning some easy songs, and then magically finding myself better than I thought I was.

It is counter-intuitive because we have been taught to practice before we do anything since we were young, but after learning the fundamentals, and as long as you have all the techniques you need, the best practice is to learn songs and enjoy doing it.

Yep good advice, I'm doing something similar going for stuff I know will sound like **** and annoy the other half for a while but when you finally get there it's rewarding.

I've found myself going back into the theory a little more too and actually trying to learn something rather than just reciting tabs
Quote by ReChord

This is what has worked for me in the past, especially with fingerpicking. I don't fingerpick much and I'm still not very good at it but what I would normally do was try to learn a song that was out of my league. I would work at it for awhile and then usually give up because it was too hard. Then I'd go back to songs with flatpicking for awhile and do only a small amount of fingerpicking. When I would come back to the original fingerpicking song, usually weeks later, it was easier than when I had practiced it repeatedly for hours!

I think that speed is not just about synchronization but about actually building the muscles in your fingers and this is especially true for acoustic. It seems like most of the articles that I've read focus only on synchronization. In other words, don't be afraid to play something fast and sloppy at first if it gives you the burn in your hands and fingers.*

*Statement not evaluated by the FDA
I think a lot of times guitarists underrate themselves and because of that don't attempt to learn songs that actually are within their skill level.

Another thing I would do is start wrinting your own songs, rhythms, and riffs.

And really, just play what you want to play. If you play a song that is more difficult for you than what you've been playing before, it will only make you better, and there is also a chance that you can learn some new techniques through playing more difficult songs.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 11, 2009,