Net Applications released updated global browser market share numbers today, indicating that IE is losing users at an accelerated pace. The browser’s share dropped from 69.77% in November to 68.15% in December. Most rivals were able to pick up a portion of what IE surrendered. Firefox gained more than half a point and ended up at 21.34%, Safari approaches the next big hurdle with 7.93% and Chrome came in at 1.04%, the first time Google was able to cross the 1% mark. Opera remained stable 0.71%, but it is clear that the Norwegian browser cannot attract any users IE loses.

Over the past 12 months, IE gave up 7.9 points of market share, while Firefox gained 4.5 points and Safari nearly 2.4 points. Chrome, released in September of this year, is an entirely new player and Opera was able to add 0.7 points to its usage share and remains just above Netscape, which is still listed at a slowly declining 0.57%.

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-40800-113.html

I'm always surprised that they still retain such a high market share till I remember old people, companies that for some odd reason don't bother to change and schools that only stick with the Microsoft standard software because DOWNLOADING ANYTHING ELSE IS DANGEROUS

Let the arguing about which browser is better begin.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I'm also suprised.. i though firefox kicked IEs butt.. but apparently not.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I'd like to think I had a part in this
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Internet explorer needs improve itself in any way if it is going to even be used by anybody but the lazy who won't download firefox, etc.

and schools that only stick with the Microsoft standard software because DOWNLOADING ANYTHING ELSE IS DANGEROUS

No, schools fear kids will install a simple proxy ad-on and override their blocking settings.
Last edited by bendystraw at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by bendystraw

No, schools fear kids will install a simple proxy ad-on and override their blocking settings.

As opposed to just using a proxy site like pr2xy.team-duck.com or whatever

, my school teachers didn't know what a proxy was.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
As opposed to just using a proxy site like pr2xy.team-duck.com or whatever

, my school teachers didn't know what a proxy was.

Unfortunatly ours did.
Hurp De Durp
Why is it that somebody always has to raid Fark and post the articles here in the Pit?

Anyways, im glad to see that people are using a more secure browser, schools should also use firefox
My school blocks most proxy sites

Everybody should download Chrome or, at least firefox.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Firefox still has huge compatibility issues, there's nothing wrong with explorer.

I find explorer horribly slow, ugly and unable to load certain videos. Not to mention the lack of add ons like mouse gestures that I can't really browse without.

I've never encountered any compatibility issues with firefox.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Pretty clear why IE has such a huge share still, because most people have PC's and IE is built-in, so the majority of PC users who are not too caring/informed on technicalities just stick with what's there.
I just downloaded Firefox. I've installed a few useful add-ons. I'm going to try it even though I don't know much about it.
Quote by Slut
Nobody likes you and your opinion on life does not matter. Also your sister is pregnant with my child.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I find explorer horribly slow, ugly and unable to load certain videos. Not to mention the lack of add ons like mouse gestures that I can't really browse without.

I've never encountered any compatibility issues with firefox.

Then you havn't looked very far. I update both regularly and often have to open IE to open something that Firefox simply can't manage.

Internet explorer isn't actually slow at all, it's a bit of a myth (once may have been true) which has been perpetuated.

In what way is it ugly? Thats rubbish tbh, you can just take out whatever you don't like.

Also the newest version of Firefox is horrendous. The smart-bar is the biggest joke-addition 'update' that has ever been made. I've played with the settings and managed to turn it off but now it doesn't show previously typed sites. Idiots.

Edit: I accept your opinion of course and do actually use FF most of the time, but there's definately nothing wrong with IE.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Jan 3, 2009,
Firefox doesnt really work for me for some reason. Facebook doesnt work properly (items on the page which load without refreshing the whole page dont actually load) and other websites have similar problems, just saying that certain elements are loading constantly. I still use it, its just irritating.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Then you havn't looked very far. I update both regularly and often have to open IE to open something that Firefox simply can't manage.

There's an add on that deals with this. Although I've never had to use it.

Internet explorer isn't actually slow at all, it's a bit of a myth (once may have been true) which has been perpetuated.

Perhaps it's because I have messed with the about:config in firefox to make it faster but whenever I use IE I find it horribly slow

In what way is it ugly? Thats rubbish tbh, you can just take out whatever you don't like.

I don't like the entire way it looks. I have firefox set up so it looks almost exactly like Google Chrome

Also the newest version of Firefox is horrendous. The smart-bar is the biggest joke-addition 'update' that has ever been made. I've played with the settings and managed to turn it off but now it doesn't show previously typed sites. Idiots.

I suppose that's just a difference of opinion but I love the smart bar. It means that I don't have to remember the url, pretty much just what the article was about.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
On the subject of schools, i have firefox portable, chrome portable, opera portable and safari portable, all in different folders named as something else, just in case an admin finds one and deletes it. i hate IE.
hello
My external HDD died a few days ago, and Firefox was installed on it, so I had to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox again.

Problem one; Our internet normally downloads at 8 MBit or 900 kb/ps; IE was downloading at less than 512k or 55 kb/ps.

Problem two; So many pages wouldn't load, so it was incredibly hard to find a working Firefox link.

Problem three; I know I'm picking around the bones now, but seriously, all those goddamn warning messages, which actually don't protect against anything as it turns out. I can't click anything without being warned for something, it's rediculous.