I'm just completely amazed by the guitar playing of John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He plays these complicated riffs and these verisons of chords that sound beatiful but never occur to me to be played in this way.

What kind of lessons should I look into to learn some of these chord variations and scales that he uses? I wanna say under some funk kinda lesson but I'm not sure.
It'd be mad helpful if you're able to give me a link to a lesson as well.

Thanks
Quote by captaincrunk
This isn't a guitar forum.

Try WebMD.

Quote by MH400
www.ultimate-guitar.com

all he does is embellish (amzingly dont get me wrong) on bar chords that are played in second inversion.... take under the bridge for example he takes a simple e chord, moves it up an octave to 7999 (i dont do ascii well) and presto one of the sexiest e chords i have ever heard 0.o

Btw, i do love red hot chili peppers and John Frusciante, and for those who flame me for my inability to put what goes on in my head down on paper ,,l,, but really dude, just learn chords, play around with them and get every finger to become independant then play around with the chords some more
~Defiant~
thanks man, I gotta learn more of chord inversions and stuff. and actually listening and playing under the bridge got me thinking about this haha
Quote by captaincrunk

Try WebMD.

Quote by MH400
www.ultimate-guitar.com

yeah i got a question that kinda has to do with this thread.
in the verse of under the bridge when he fools around with E, B, G#minor, and A; what is that style of playing called???
cause everyone here has to admit, it sounds AWSOME.
its like funk-ish with some other influences....
idk, its just awsome
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
John Frusciante is a GOD. Under the Bridge is a good song, too. About fear-the-reaper's question, yes, funk lessons are best. I would suggest looking at this video, it includes many examples of the playing styles he's influenced by and his philosophy on his personal style and soloing/improv. It's not instructional, but try to learn something from it. Actually, look at most of the vids of him at home. They're somewhat instructional. Anyway, here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqgXSmmzFCU&feature=related

musicTHEORYnerd, I believe that style of playing is very light acoustic funk.
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.
Last edited by AwesomenessFTW at Jan 3, 2009,
Yeah he's definitely based around a funk style with all of these crazy yet beatiful chords on the higher strings. And thanks the video really helps
Quote by captaincrunk

Try WebMD.

Quote by MH400
www.ultimate-guitar.com

Yeah, I know from experience that those higher chords sound beautiful. Hope all the info helps.
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.
The playing in Under the Bridge is influenced by Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix, and I believe is known as "Little Wing style." Snow is the same i think. Also, check out Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam for similar ideas.

The concept is to play chords and "embellishments" at the same time to give the impression of 2 guitarists. I'd say you generally have to use your ear to figure out which embellishment to use, but general tips are to stay in key and make use of the 9th and 11ths of each chord. By just learning how to play a couple of songs in the style, you'd be armed with a fairly large repertoire to choose from during rhythm playing.
Last edited by Declan87 at Jan 3, 2009,