Don't get your hopes up, I didn't buy anything!

I did, however, try out a few amps. I finally got to test the Valvetronix line, and I must say, they're quite awesome.

I tried the 100-watter. I went through every amp model and they all seemed pretty usable. The few that stood out to me were the Boutique Clean, UK80's, and Nu-Metal channels.

As for all the clean channels on the amp....well, I'm kinda biased. I'm a rock and roll kinda guy and I don't really mess with cleans all that much. The only clean channel I spent any amount of time on was the Boutique Clean. It sounded really amazing. Very thick, yet retaining the proper amount of treble to achieve an even tonal balance. I was impressed.

Like I said, the others were nice, but I probably wouldn't use them that much, so I passed them by fairly quickly.

Being the AC/DC and Airbourne fan that I am, I LOVED the UK80's channel. It actually cleaned up a little when the gain was rolled back, but at about 2 o'clock it drove up to a nice, crunchy AC/DC tone. With the gain at full blast it achieved heavy, thick distortion. I fell in love with this channel.

The next channel I really enjoyed was the Nu-metal. Thick, chugging, metal distortion, no but's and's or if's about it. Plenty of gain IMO, although some seem to complain about a lack thereof....

The effects were good, but a little complicated to control. All the holding down of knobs and buttons and turning involved pushed me to just bypass the effects all together.

I also checked out a Roland Cube, and I actually wasn't impressed....

It was very digital sounding and harsh. I actually couldn't get a metal tone that I liked out of this amp. Maybe I suck at finding tones or something, but it just wasn't there for me...

One thing I did prefer on the Roland was the amount of control I had over the effects.

So that was my day in a nutshell. If anyone has any questions regarding either amp, shoot!
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
inb4 reviews.

But yes, the valvetronix amps are great.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
inb4 reviews.

But yes, the valvetronix amps are great.

Well, considering the amount of completely useless "Which Amp?" threads that go unclosed every day in spite of the "ONLY Which Amp?" thread, it would be very hypocritical if this is closed....

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I'm fond of the Boutique Clean model myself. It's based on the clean channel of a Dumble Overdrive Special, and it's orgasmic. The only problem I have with it is that it's really boomy on the lower strings if you turn the bass up past 6 or so.
I think the reason people say the vox AD series cant handle metal is 1. they don't use the compressor and 2. vox has an AD-XL series that is catered to metal, making it sound like the normal version is enough for it..

Edit: I kinda thought the only good clean channel was the tweed, the blackface and boutique clean seem kind of sterile to me
Last edited by HibyPrime at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by dudetheman
Well, considering the amount of completely useless "Which Amp?" threads that go unclosed every day in spite of the "ONLY Which Amp?" thread, it would be very hypocritical if this is closed....

Who said anything about the thread being closed?

I own an AD30VT, the only model I like anymore is the Boutique OD. Great lead sound and I'd love to be able to find it in another amp, but all higher end "lead amps" out there that I've tried are unable to achieve its tone thus far, which makes me sad

The Nu-Metal and US High-Gain models are alright, yes they have lots of gain, but I don't feel they're particularly voiced well for metal, hard rock is fine, but modern metal, it does not excel at imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Holy Katana
I'm fond of the Boutique Clean model myself. It's based on the clean channel of a Dumble Overdrive Special, and it's orgasmic. The only problem I have with it is that it's really boomy on the lower strings if you turn the bass up past 6 or so.

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

I kept the bass around 9 o'clock, the middle at 2 o'clock and the treble around 12 o'clock.

Sounded great.

Quote by MatrixClaw
The Nu-Metal and US High-Gain models are alright, yes they have lots of gain, but I don't feel they're particularly voiced well for metal, hard rock is fine, but modern metal, it does not excel at imo.

Really? I quite enjoyed the Nu-Metal. I dropped the guitar down to D and chugged away. It sounded fine to me. Ah well,you know what they say; one man's trash....

The US HiGain was OK, very usable for what it is, but it just wasn't my cup-o-tea. It had a very boxed-in sound IMO.

EDIT: Very Mesa-ish, now that I think about it.

But I'm not a fan of Mesa amps or their sound.

*puts up flame-shield*

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Last edited by dudetheman at Jan 3, 2009,
I hate all your amps.

Jk, good on you, you're testing things and formulating your own opinion instead of just taking what people say here as fact. My favorite thing to do is go to guitar center and play amps and then watch all the wannabe shredders. Good times. That's why I play blues, so I don't have to pretend like I can shred.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Cool story, Hansel.
I'm proud to say that i never asked a "which amp" question!!

....and my first big amp ended up being a spider

but nonetheless, good post
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
I'm proud to say that i never asked a "which amp" question!!

....and my first big amp ended up being a spider

but nonetheless, good post

Judging by your fender hot rod, I think you more than made up for your mistake :P
Quote by HibyPrime
Judging by your fender hot rod, I think you more than made up for your mistake :P

lol yea a total of $1100 later. but yes, the problem was fixed
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by dudetheman
Really? I quite enjoyed the Nu-Metal. I dropped the guitar down to D and chugged away. It sounded fine to me. Ah well,you know what they say; one man's trash....

The US HiGain was OK, very usable for what it is, but it just wasn't my cup-o-tea. It had a very boxed-in sound IMO.

EDIT: Very Mesa-ish, now that I think about it.

But I'm not a fan of Mesa amps or their sound.

*puts up flame-shield*

I dunno, i just don't think the sound is aggressive enough. I like a distortion pedal through it better if I'm going for metal
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I dunno, i just don't think the sound is aggressive enough. I like a distortion pedal through it better if I'm going for metal

Meh, to each his own I guess...

And I can see where you're coming from. I love my Metal Muff as if it were my child, but I have to give this amp credit where credit is due....

...I really didn't expect to hear a Metal tone like that coming from a preppy-looking, chrome-grilled Vox.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by MatrixClaw

Did you happen to try it with the compressor on?

I think the distortion from them on all channels is very loose without it, which isn't a bad thing, but wont cut it for metal
There's a compressor?!?!

Where is it? On the back?

I couldn't get to the back of the amp. It was on one of those damn shelves they have a GC and I couldn't be arsed to pull it all the way out with all the people there.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
There's a compressor?!?!

Where is it? On the back?

I couldn't get to the back of the amp. It was on one of those damn shelves they have a GC and I couldn't be arsed to pull it all the way out with all the people there.

it's second on the effects knob after auto-wah

on the back theres an attenuator on the 30 watt versions and up, but I don't quite get why a solid state amp has an attenuator? lol
Quote by HibyPrime
it's second on the effects knob after auto-wah

on the back theres an attenuator on the 30 watt versions and up, but I don't quite get why a solid state amp has an attenuator? lol

It's comp. + Phaser, right?

I remember playing with that on the Nu-Metal channel but the phaser was up WAY too high Like I said, the effects were a little complicated for me, so I pretty much gave up on dialing them. I left them off most of the time.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by HibyPrime
the effects still confuse me, and I've had the amp almost a year lol

There is a setting for comp only - http://www.voxamps.de/fileadmin/_vox/produkte/ad_valvetronix/ad15vt/Detailbilder/AD15VT_TOP.jpg

Ah well, I didn't play with the effects much.

I threw on some chorus with the Boutique Clean and some reverb with the UK80's, but other than that I didn't really tackle the effects.

EDIT: The ones I did use were very well-emulated, though, just a little complicated to manipulate.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by HibyPrime
Did you happen to try it with the compressor on?

I think the distortion from them on all channels is very loose without it, which isn't a bad thing, but wont cut it for metal

I only use it on comp or reverb for that model

I thought it could be that the speaker is smaller than would be in a bigger model, but then that doesn't make sense why I think it sounds better with a distortion pedal
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I only use it on comp or reverb for that model

I thought it could be that the speaker is smaller than would be in a bigger model, but then that doesn't make sense why I think it sounds better with a distortion pedal

Curious, what pedal do you use with your AD?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
Curious, what pedal do you use with your AD?

Monte Allums modded Boss MT-2 or a Marshall Guv'nor Plus, but I don't use them with it anymore, too much of a hassle, I only play the AD when I jam along to stuff while I'm listening on my computer, otherwise I just go in the other room and plug into my other amps
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
if youre getting an AD theres little point in a 100w one, unless youre gigging large venues but even then you'd want something nicer
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by dudetheman
Ah well, I didn't play with the effects much.

I threw on some chorus with the Boutique Clean and some reverb with the UK80's, but other than that I didn't really tackle the effects.

EDIT: The ones I did use were very well-emulated, though, just a little complicated to manipulate.

They're not too hard to figure out with the manual. The knob itself generally controls the level, the tap-tempo button contols speed, the tap-tempo button plus the knob gives you a better control of the speed, and the effects on/off button plus the knob controls resonance or intensity, except on the reverb, where it controls the amount of high damping.

Also, you can control the amount of noise reduction by holding the effects on/off button and turning the knob while you have the effects off.
Quote by Holy Katana
They're not too hard to figure out with the manual. The knob itself generally controls the level, the tap-tempo button contols speed, the tap-tempo button plus the knob gives you a better control of the speed, and the effects on/off button plus the knob controls resonance or intensity, except on the reverb, where it controls the amount of high damping.

Also, you can control the amount of noise reduction by holding the effects on/off button and turning the knob while you have the effects off.

And you're saying it's not too hard to figure out?

Thats more complicated than a multi-FX pedal
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
if youre getting an AD theres little point in a 100w one, unless youre gigging large venues but even then you'd want something nicer

I probably won't get the 100W.

Probably the 50W.

I need something worthy of small, local gigs that has a lot of versatility, and the Vox is the best thing I've found to meet those criteria thus far.

I'll probably buy the Vox and then save for a nice tube amp (Kustom Coupe 212 would be very nice).

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by HibyPrime
And you're saying it's not too hard to figure out?

Thats more complicated than a multi-FX pedal

I guess I just grasp things like that easily. If you want confusing, try programming a synth!
i own the Valvetronix 50 watt.
I bought the amplifier because it sounds similar to vintage tube tone, but because of the computing power of the amplifier as well, its very versatile. And once you get the Foot switch(which does not come with the 50 watt model) the amplifier contains a large palette of sounds.
My favorite amp models on the valvetronix are the Boutique Clean( if you tweak the second channel right it sounds really close to SRV, since he used A dumble) and I also use the ac30 Model. The boutique overdrive is ok, but really the second channel of the CLEAN boutique overdrive is the way to go.
by the way, screw the attentuator on the back. This amp has tube power amplifying( the preamp is SS) so by turning the master volume to about 11 o clock, it sounds even better.
dudetheman, if you are thinking of spending the money on this amp, you probably wont regret it.
Thats my review, just thought i would chip in, since I do own one. Is there a club?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC