i wouldn't say im amazing at bass, but i am decent, and i'm in a band. I really want to be able to play a song and sing it at the same time, how would i go about doing this? what things should i practice (i dont care if i have to start off on songs like Smells like teen spirit)
Try doing it very slowly and then build in terms of speed. Maybe start with something basic.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Start with simple songs, something like all the small things, and work your way up
Songs where the vocal melody follows the music closely are good to start with. This will get you used to the multi-tasking aspect of it. Really learn the music to it a song before singing it, learn it so well that you barely need to think about what your hands are doing, and can concentrate more on your singing. Learning the lines differently helps too I find. Rather than learning the lines as they are, learn which words go where in the bar. There's often overlapping involved, where the line starts before the bar starts or somesuch. If you know which word the bar starts on you'll be able to play it much easier.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
i agree with rednightmare. i would say the key is being able to leave your hands on autopilot while you concentrate on vocal delivery. make it so that you don't have to think about your playing OR the lyrics, just how you sing. if you're thinking what lyrics come next, you'll probably f**k up with your playing, and so on. also, knowing where certain words are in correlation to the music is good too, especially for chord transitions.
Muscle Memory. Play the song so many times that you can play it with the lights out, with your eyes closed, eating and then scratching your ass and your ready to go.
DB Player
Quote by Iplaydabasss
what are some songs that follow that type of melody renightmare?

most primus songs.

a really good one to try is Paranoid by Black Sabbath, really simple.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
honestly just practice doing it

Like, 3 weeks ago I tried and I couldn't do it
But what you have to do is just keep doing it. Hold a conversation while playing. I had my guitarist ask me random questions that I had to think about
while I practiced basslines and scales

Today I was running scales through at [idk like low 100s 16th notes] and singing along to a song playing in the background.
And now I can pretty much sing and play at the same time
For me it was putting singing on the back burner and bass as my focus. but might be the other way for you
memorize both the lyrics and music

play the music slowly, humming along
get faster and faster
then start turnings hums into words
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by .oxygen
honestly just practice doing it

Like, 3 weeks ago I tried and I couldn't do it
But what you have to do is just keep doing it. Hold a conversation while playing. I had my guitarist ask me random questions that I had to think about
while I practiced basslines and scales

Today I was running scales through at [idk like low 100s 16th notes] and singing along to a song playing in the background.
And now I can pretty much sing and play at the same time
For me it was putting singing on the back burner and bass as my focus. but might be the other way for you

shows how people are different.

I can talk all I want while I play fine, carrying a melody is much more difficult.

I have been known to accidently follow the drums when I talk.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hah, guess you're right then. I couldn't even talk while playing bass like a month ago. It was kind of comical honestly. I think it really, for me, came down to just doing it. Not over thinking.

So in conclusion, just do it.
I think it was said before, but yeah, seperate both the singing and the bass parts and practice them individually until youve got them down, then put them together. Same way you teach yourself to play something on piano that involves playing something diffrent with each hand. Geddy Lee does essentially the same thing - you just need to practice, practice, practice, practice until the basslines are so effortless, you dont even need to think about them, your hands just go autopilot while your singing.

Oh yes. Then practice more.
Quote by Amitio
Start with simple songs, something like all the small things, and work your way up

yea when i was learning how to play and sing i started with Blitzkrieg bop...
three notes... and the singing with it isnt hard... then go from there.
Like everyone else is saying, memorise the bass parts, lyrics as well as the melody of the singing. In my opinion the bass part comes first then put the vocal melody over it, you don't have to sing the words straight off just make sure you can do both of these simultaneously without screwing up one or the other. Then chuck the lyrics on top.

Never start off doing both slowly only to find that you can't keep up with the rest of your bands speed, because bass and drums is the foundation of a good sound, you have to keep the groove there while you are singing.

Songs that i recommend to start off with are Message in a Bottle by The Police and Everlong by Foo Fighters.
And i you are a good singer go for Alien Ant Farm's version of Smooth Criminal
Practice. Sometimes it helps to play with a pick.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I think Green Day has some good songs to practice this with. A lot of their stuff has very rhythmic vocal lines and simple chord progressions, both of which make for easy music to learn with.
Nope, no sig here.
I dont sing much when playing bass but i have realized on songs that i knew, inside and out, i could sing too. I think the reason is because if your learning the song for the first time or a song your not familiar with then your constantly trying to get the notes and rythme right. Add on top of that sing, which usually does not follow the bass then you got like 5.

But if you were to know the bass part, note for note, beat for beat, then when it comes down to singing to the song, it will come much much easier.

Here's a few songs that i learned to sing and play bass with...
New Orleans is Sinking - The Tragically Hip (if you cant find tabs, its just basically a 12bar blues sceme with the bass line doing the 1-b3-4 of the root)
Come Together- The Beatles actually any beatles song would do... I <3 the beatles lol
Rocking in the Free World - Neil Young

and if your really daring

Lets get it on - Marvin Gaye
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Just a Phase by Incubus is a song that, even though the bass and vocal melody are fairly off time, it's very possible. However, it's all about practice. Learning a particular song will get that song down. However, the more you do, the easier it becomes. It'll always be a process.