How do you decide if you've mastered the part at a certain tempo?

Do you play it a certain number of times (in a row or not) perfectly?

Or do you play it perfectly for a certain amount of time (Like 5 minutes straight)?
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Certain number of times (in a row) perfectly. As in a lot. Then piece it all together. And play it a certain number of times (in a row) perfectly.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
Certain number of times (in a row) perfectly. As in a lot. Then piece it all together. And play it a certain number of times (in a row) perfectly.

True, but its not just that you can play it x number of times perfectly, it has to FEEL easy and comfortable.
Quote by se012101
True, but its not just that you can play it x number of times perfectly, it has to FEEL easy and comfortable.

But isn't one of the things that makes playing a lick perfectly is how comfy you play it?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Can i play cliffs of dover with a slower tempo? I hear it's at 190bpm? But i can't play it that quick (the fast runs anyway).

Can i slow it down to whatever tempo i want? Or does it have to be say half of 190 etc?
Quote by steeLmonkeyz
Can i play cliffs of dover with a slower tempo? I hear it's at 190bpm? But i can't play it that quick (the fast runs anyway).

Can i slow it down to whatever tempo i want? Or does it have to be say half of 190 etc?

Slow it down to whatever is the most comfortable. Even if it's slow, if its comfy, practice at that speed, whether its 70bpm or 20bpm.

And when you play it a number of times at that speed, up the metronome 4-6 bpm, to get faster little by little.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Just a quick question actually... Am i supposed to be playing a note on every click?

When i try to get the beat feel out of the metronome, which i usually can do (i play with a drummer) it just doesnt feel like the right tempo to play at.

So should i be playing a note a click? Then 2 notes a click?
^ you can do that to get the hang of a certain lick, but the goal is to play the real rhythm over it just like it was a drummer.