My band finally played in front of people on New Years Eve, and I thought I'd share the experience with you all. I thought it went heaps well even though hardly anyone turned up ( Iwas kinda ****ty about that, so I got heaps drunk before we played - but that didnt seem to affect my playing).

During the first two songs though, my bass kept cutting out. I thinking its a loose connection somewhere so I'll have to pull the bass apart and check everything. For the rest of the set everything seemed to work fine, so Im not sure what was happening.

We played five songs all up, two covers and three originals. We got a pretty good reaction for our originals which was nice to hear after working on them for so long. We just played at my drummer's house party, but now we're all pumped up to play at a proper venue.

If anyone's interested, there's a vid of one of our songs on youtube:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2KxdjtIlhh8

To keep it relevant to this forum, any polite criticism of my playing would be appreciated. My bass is real loud, so you should be able to hear it fine!

And feel free to add your own stories about your first gig(s), Im sure there's some interesting tales out there.
Lol, I played a show at a house party on new years as well.

One thing I learned, when your drunk you may think you sound good and are on time, but its usually quite the opposite :P.

God my head still hurts...
Your drummer is too loud. IMO metal should be Guitar + bass, then vocals, then drums. Drums being the most quiet. However, I'm a pretty biased metal kind of guy.

You might want to get a better amp for your vocalist. You guys seemed tight and strong while playing with eachother, but you might want to work on 'helping' or 'reinforcing' eachother more if you know what I mean. Play with eachothers instruments while still playing your own, play something and have your guitarist create something reflecting that. A lot of good bands use this often to build songs to a climax.

I think that if you get drunk before a show, it shows a lot even if you don't notice it. Some people here play shows a bit drunk or ditzy, and honestly when they think their show went great, it was pretty bad. I drink water and only water before a show.
DB Player
mmm
its not the kinda music i hear
but it sounds good for an original recording
i got to say that your vocalist is not too loud like the rest of the band
thats all i think
Hola.
Drums are way too loud.

Cut off his arms. Tell him to stop using the crash so bloody much
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I didnt even notice the guitar player till his solo and then it was still just a little bit xD.

Sound wise the drummer is by far the loudest, then you, the guitarist and finally the singer ... wish i could go see yall in person, would probably sound alot better.

Grats on your first show as well!
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Jan 4, 2009,
Really anybody that says getting drunk before a show makes you play like crap either doesn't drink much or doesn't practice drunk.

Pro tip...If you want to get drunk or high or whatever at your show, you should practice in that same mind set.
Maybe it's just me but it sounds like your drummer is off time with his bass drumming.
I think he was a little nervous and is still getting used to playing ith two bass drums.
And yeah it sounds very different on the video cos my amp was pointed at the camera so the mic on the cam picked up most of that. Everyone who was there said they could hear everything fine.

The drums are mega-loud, i think thats from them reflecting off the tin roof above us. And I cant tell him to play less crash, that'd be like taking away a little kid's favourite toy!
Congrats on the first gig man!!!

Tell your singer to sing into the microphone... and not hold its side past his mouth.

looks stupid, but cool... sounds alot worse and thiner.

but all pretty cool
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
ooh harsh. But yeah he kinda is. We're his first band and until NYE he'd never played in front of anyone but us three. He'll get better.

As for the snger cupping the mic, its actually a shure mic modelled on the old 50s style grille mics. The capsule actually faces to the side, so he's singing straight into it! Its sounds **** and thin cos he's just not loud enough...we didnt want to hire a PA cos we weren't sure who'd be coming.
my first show was at lunch for our middle school. we played a talent show the day before (i guess this would be my first public act but eh) and the principal asked us too

it was alright i guess we played a few decent covers
GEAR
Fender American Jazz Standard Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Peavy Max 700 Bass Amp w/ Peavy Pro 410 Bass Cab
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
I could barely hear the bass because your drummer was raping the bass drum so much.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Our first gig was to a 200 strong crowd, and believe me, I would much rather have had very few people at it. It was my first time playing in front of a crowd ever.

And yet now, two years later, we are pretty established where we live. Last month we ventured into far off lands where the venue hadn't heard of us, and we got to play ...first.

...To around eight people.

At least the venue apologised to us alot and promised us a much higher spot next time, while we basically said 'Aii right' and left.
Quote by Casketcreep
Our first gig was to a 200 strong crowd, and believe me, I would much rather have had very few people at it. It was my first time playing in front of a crowd ever.

And yet now, two years later, we are pretty established where we live. Last month we ventured into far off lands where the venue hadn't heard of us, and we got to play ...first.

...To around eight people.

At least the venue apologised to us alot and promised us a much higher spot next time, while we basically said 'Aii right' and left.

Ugh, I hate playing first... my favourite spot is one below headlining for some reason... but yeah, first is horrid.

Especially when the headlining band was a bloody indie cover band. I was mortified. Then again, we got the longest set of the night by about 20 minutes
Just before the headliners is usually the best I've found.
Most people get bored and leave by the last band.

We used to gig around with a 'we're so punk we hate maggy thatcher' band called the Spastic Dokters, (Such a shame they split :L) and they would put in so much time organising these gigs and getting it all set-up, and by the end of the night they would have about 7 people watching them, and 80 people in the smoking area.