I have a Jackson Kelley. and the neck is pretty long and uncomfortable to play with. its a bolt on neck and i have no idea what to do to replace it with a smaller one. looked online and e-mailed jackson. nothing from either. any help is appreciated
You need a guitar with a smaller scale length. If you replace the neck without moving the bridge closer then the intonation will never be right.
So you want a shorter scale guitar?

If so you've bought into the wrong brand to be honest, you can get a replacement neck but you'll have to make sure everything with the scale is accurate and you've got the neck bolted in properly.
It can be alot of work, Jackson Kellys are great guitars so I think it may be better if you just bought another cheaper 24.75/25" scale rather than cannibalize your Jackson.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
ya it really pisses me off cause i just got new pickups for it and it sounds amazing but the neck is too long for my liking. but i used to play on a ibanez starter kit guitar and it has a short neck so maybe im not used to it?? had it for a year so i dont think thats the problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaHaRUPfKok

If she can do that, you can play a full scale. Play over your left leg, its more comfortable, and you twist your back less.

Also, changing the scale length pretty much isn't going to happen unless you get a custom neck built. If you really insist on a shorter scale length, sell you guitar, and buy a kids 3/4 size guitar, or look into a fender jaguar.
Are you like... really tiny?

I mean, I'm 5'10" and 15 years old and I'll admit that when I started playing when I was a kid it was hard, but I just got used to it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
^ Other way around

Why?

If the head stock is too far away and he is right handed, then he should move the body closer to his right side, this bringing the headstock closer to his left side?

Or is he left handed?
Quote by Skeet UK
Why?

If the head stock is too far away and he is right handed, then he should move the body closer to his right side, this bringing the headstock closer to his left side?

Or is he left handed?

Because you twist your back less, it is better posture and is more comfortable even then a lot of people don't. If you move it to your right your playing with your arms out on either side on you, this way one is infront, and if he finds the lower frets to far, all he has to do it tilt the guitar upwards. This is better playing posture from a physio therapist for musicians. I bet you never knew there was such a thing.
Its going to be pretty hard to get a replacement neck of a shorter scale to fit the neck pocket of the jackson.

Also the jackson is like 25.5? and a shorter scale of say 24 3/4 really isnt going to make that much difference as far as lengt of neck is concerned, and you will have to either loose frets or loose a neck pup to fit it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by PainIsPower
Because you twist your back less, it is better posture and is more comfortable even then a lot of people don't. If you move it to your right your playing with your arms out on either side on you, this way one is infront, and if he finds the lower frets to far, all he has to do it tilt the guitar upwards. This is better playing posture from a physio therapist for musicians. I bet you never knew there was such a thing.

Ah, from that point of view then yes I can see what you mean. And yes, I can imagine that there are Physiotherapists for all manner of things. I have a friend who is a Physio for Paintballers! Kinda sports Physio, but with added paintball specific areas.
Quote by Øttər
Are you like... really tiny?

I mean, I'm 5'10" and 15 years old and I'll admit that when I started playing when I was a kid it was hard, but I just got used to it.

i was 5'3 when i was 13 or 14 and started playing

im 5'5 now and im 16, i play a full scale guitar with no problems what so ever.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
i was 5'3 when i was 13 or 14 and started playing

im 5'5 now and im 16, i play a full scale guitar with no problems what so ever.

He might have short arms.

I have a friend with short arms, but he's a T-Rex, so we don't take the piss.

Its due to the body shape not the scale length or length of the neck. By the looks of it the strap button is on the neck plate which puts it about the 20th fret. This pushes the headstock out farther much further from your body. Whereas something like a strat the button is about the 13th fret. There isnt much your gonna be able to do about this issue. Some guitars are made more for looks than how they play. The headstock on my 25.5 fender is closer to my body then the headstock on my 24.75 LP due to where the strap button is. Your gonna need a different guitar one thats less cool looking more playable.
Well look on the bright side- if you played bass then you'd be dealing with a 35 inch scale!
Short scale guitars have lower string tension if I remember correctly making them easier to play. Though some like the Jag are really supposed to be strung with higher gauge strings to compensate for this. The Jag case also has to do with keeping it's finicky trem happy.

Edit: The hello kitty guitar is killer. I would totally rock that on stage, though there was a custom shop one that looked nicer.
try looking at warmoth necks. they make special necks to convert your guitar to a shorter scale.

Jackson 24 3/4" neck
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by Absent Mind
Also the jackson is like 25.5? and a shorter scale of say 24 3/4 really isnt going to make that much difference

Exactly what I thought. At most, you could get a 24" scale, but its still only 1.5" shorter.