A Melodic Folk Metal peice i wrote not long ago. Hope you like it.

P.s. i only just named it, so maybe it isn't the most fitting title...i think it's better than leaving it untitled though.
Attachments:
Folk (2).zip
intro was good, maybe a bit less generic.. i feel like ive heard that played in many songs. but it really picks up with the ocarina. that sent shivers down my spine. for the ocarina vocals, i think you should use a different note at bar 20 as well as the fourth note in 22. dont fit the chords in the background imo. the end of the phrase at 24. i swearrrrr i have heard that before, probably in music class. i think its from some famous song... whatever. its good. 32 somehow sounds interesting. nice. as well as 40, what a good way to connect to the next part. woowwwww, ending is really nice. the violin and ocarina together give me a musical boner. congrats, good song. 9/10.
My Metal (gp5) Songs

Quote by iimjpii

Quote by TEK34
A PE teachers got a shotput in the side of the dead

Head + dead = dead?
Quote by jamesdtsx
i think you should use a different note at bar 20 as well as the fourth note in 22. dont fit the chords in the background imo

Yes i see what you mean. It sound better with a B instead of an E

What do you mean about the part 'from some famous song'? was that bar 24?
yup bar 24. it sounds like something ive played in my band class at school haha but its good.
My Metal (gp5) Songs

Quote by iimjpii

Quote by TEK34
A PE teachers got a shotput in the side of the dead

Head + dead = dead?
I generally don't listen to this type of music but I'll give it a crit anyway.

I really liked the intro, at first I thought it was going to sound a bit generic but you used different note choice than what I expected. I really thought that the rhythm was more interesting than the lead over it, but since its folk I guess it fits. I didn't care too much for the lead around 1 minute in, it wasn't bad but it didn't do too much for me either, however it picks up nicely around 1:21.

1:40 is a nice riff and I think the drums helped to add to it. Again, the lead didn't do too much for me, but your riff that followed it around 2:23 is also a nice one. 2:40 was probably my favorite use of a lead that you used in the song, and the rhythms underneath it kept interesting enough for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of when the lead just went solo and you had no rhythm underneath it because it just sounded empty to me. You led up to that with a good lead and an interesting rhythm and when it got to that point it just seemed a bit empty. Nice job with the song overall though, you had some nice riffs in it.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037972
^ I'll get on it

Quote by jamesdtsx
yup bar 24. it sounds like something ive played in my band class at school haha but its good.

Mmm i guess it does seem a bit familiar. Thanks for the crit
Wow. That's all I can say really.

I really liked this song. I can't really say I've listened to that much melodic folk metal in my life, but I may just have to get into it if it's all like this.

I suppose to me this was like a more metal version of Wishbone Ash, wish is no bad thing!

I really liked the outro transitions. It's very nice to see smooth changes in dynamics into the violin-only outro. Very nice.

I can't really say much to improve this. I think the only thing was a few duff notes here and there on the bass. The one I can find is bar 78, the 8 on the G. There are more occurances - take them out! : )

Very good song, at least a 9/10, fix the bass and it's pretty much perfect.
Overall pretty good song. I enjoyed most of the sections, one thing that could be improved is definitely variety. you need more sections going in this song IMO.

The main melody line reminds me of Where Dead Angels Lie, by Dissection. It reminds me of the chorus riff :P.

Overall 8/10, pretty good song though could add more riffs.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037874
We can only guffaw at all the humbug we are told about martyrs.
i liked it alot although it's not my kind of music

don't have much to crit for the song , everything seems smooth and fits nicely

but i got some suggestions for the drums

first of all , i think, the kickdrum-only beat when the drums first enter could be either cut out till bar 17 , or change it to maybe some sweet snaredrum rolls, because IMO the kickdrum-only doesn't get the drums going , it just sounds i dunno , dull or something.

plus i would suggest to add more variety in the drums in the whole song , there's to much double bass. and you could try out to set the snare drum (in some parts) on a different beat count... not always: 1 2 3 snare 2 3 1 2 3 snare 2 3 .. but maybe: 1 snare 3 1 snare 3.
for the part beginning at 57 for example.
also some open hihat in exchange for the ride bells here and there maybe?
well , just trying to throw out some ideas...

i think if you get the drums more interesting you got a really great improvement!
keep it up see ya!
english is not my native language
very nice man. I like the acoustic intro. Generic chord progression: yes, but does it sound good? hells yeah. I really like the vocal melody with the ocarina. Melody at bar 17 was nice, but the part at bar 25 kind of dragge on, but I'm sure with vocals, that won't be a problem.

Riff at bar 41 was really nice, I liked the harmonization, but I feel like the drums could have been a little more intense. I didn't like how you put the melody at bar 49 again, an actual solo would be much better. Riff at bar 57 was really sweet, and I liked it when the violin melody came in; it fit nicely. Fadeout was executed well, and fit fine. The song felt a little short overall though, I think you should have some faster more intense parts in contrast to the slower parts. Best of luck man
I liked it alot. For the ocarina part im not sure if ou meant for those to be vocals or not, if its just an instrumental i like it how it is. If not then the ocarina should def be vocals, i can see a Bruce Dickinson kind of tone to it. Like not singing but like talking haha. And i would throw some more uplifting tempo kind of parts. I would make it longer to. Also add some more drums stuff such as fills, crashes etc. The progression isnt bad although its a little generic. But whatever. Also when the ocarina comes in the first few notes sound like "Greensleeves" haha. But i do like everything else about it. Its DOPE!

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041040

any of the songs will do haha. Preferably the one called "Full song update." Thanks
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Last edited by Tig Bitties at Jan 7, 2009,
Very nice.

While the Ocarina went great with the song and gave it the folk-ish feel, you should turn it down, or turn the acoustic guitar up, it was very nice. And it seemed like te ocarina exploded out of my speakers, but it was alone, so it sounded out of place. It was great though, I just had to turn it down to match the volume of the acoustic.

I really liked it when it all came together when the lead guitar came in tremolo picking that one melody, and thought it was epic when that metal riff came in with the lower power chords.

It's a great song. Nothing I could really pick out of the arrangment to edit, but there was slight feel of unbound, like it needed something to tie it throughout the whole song. uhm maybe just some thing clicking out the 1 2 3 4 rhythm I'm so used to, maybe it's me. Haha, great song.
It'd be pretty swell if you critiqued mine.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041418
Thanks for the kind words, i'll get around to critting yours eventually. I've just come back from holiday.
Thats a cool song. The intro was really good, but I agree when its just the acoustic something more original would probably be good, although it works well as rhythm, I like the bass drum added in too. The top string 8 on bar 22 in the bass part doesn't sound right, I dont know if its just a mistake but yep. The heavy bits led into really well, I dont know if its just me but i'm not a big fan of the tremelo picking (although it kind of grows on you), but good otherwise. The solo maybe needs a bit of work I think, doesn't sound right to me. The main riff again seems a bit repetitive, but then the faster harmony bit I really like. Then the main riff again, a bit repetitive again, maybe add a harmonising guitar here?
The next harmony bit is also good, then the outroing violin/ocarina is really good.

"Intense yet intricate" Scottish melodeath band, who have been reviewed live by Terrorizer, Metalgigs and Valkyrian Music in the past year

Get our debut EP Helveien, for free download.
Quote by Imperial Throg
Thats a cool song. The intro was really good, but I agree when its just the acoustic something more original would probably be good, although it works well as rhythm, I like the bass drum added in too. The top string 8 on bar 22 in the bass part doesn't sound right, I dont know if its just a mistake but yep. The heavy bits led into really well, I dont know if its just me but i'm not a big fan of the tremelo picking (although it kind of grows on you), but good otherwise. The solo maybe needs a bit of work I think, doesn't sound right to me. The main riff again seems a bit repetitive, but then the faster harmony bit I really like. Then the main riff again, a bit repetitive again, maybe add a harmonising guitar here?
The next harmony bit is also good, then the outroing violin/ocarina is really good.

Yeah i noticed. It should be a 9, part of C maj.
what key is the song in? it sounds epic. Awesome, no qualms from me. excellent, 10/10
As I listen...

Liking the acoustic intro... Maybe a bit too predictable, but good anyway. I like when the lead comes in and the acoustic changes.

The tremolo part is alright. Fits well and leads nicely into the riff.

Not really a fan of the violin part at bar 64, although it does sound alot better at bar 73 with the acoustic.

Then back to the intro.. It gets a bit repetative I think, seeing as the lead (guitar) was just the intro too.
I'd maybe add some more variations, and maybe think about a taiko drum or timpani to just add that bit extra to some parts too.

7/10
Holy rock-opera!

That was beautiful. Sounded a bit like a metal "Greensleeves". My only crit would be to lower the final note by an octave. But that could just be personal taste.
The intro is a killer!
That ocarina gives it a nice touch and I love the major chords there. In the melody at 21, the first B doesn't sound that good... I just don't know. It progresses pretty well from there, but that just sounds off.

Also, I'm not a big fan of those tremolos. They just sound stupid. At 41 I'd speed up the song to about 90bpm. It works fine. Like at 57 that 90bpm sounds awesome and that riff is a killer too. I wouldn't however fade that distortion away that fast. The violin is left too alone there. At 73 that tempo can return to 72bpm... and the outro goes smoothly.

Overall the song sounds very epic. That solo at 33 should imo last over 8 bars, but it needs something interesting. There's a nice contrast between the intro, middle part and outro... that's great. Gives the song a nice flow. And that violin melody is beautiful. Well done.
^I tried out the tempo change, and i have to disagree with you. But i totally agree about the fading out, thanks for the tip. Although this piece was, essentially, complete, you've inspired me to work on it some more.

Thanks everyone for the critiques.

Quote by relicmusic1990
what key is the song in? it sounds epic. Awesome, no qualms from me. excellent, 10/10

E minor.