Poll: Which solution?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which solution?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard ($499)
8 22%
Ibanez ART-100 ($299)
28 78%
Voters: 36.
I have played guitar for 3 years already. My first guitar was a Ibanez GIO starter pack, it looks like a blend of SG and Les Paul. I am considering to buy another, better guitar.

I have narrowed my hunt down to either a Ibanez ART-100 for $299. If I buy this guitar, I can get it in a month or so, since I already saved up enough money.

But another choice is a Epiphone Les Paul Standard in ebony, which is $499. I have to save up a little longer, (maybe half a year) to get this guitar.

I think I really need a new guitar since my guitar right now is all messed up since at first when I got it i didn't know what to do with it and messed up all the set up and stuff. I can cope with this guitar for a few months, but I really want a new guitar to play with.

So which guitar is my best choice? And does the ART-100 have the les paul sound in it? I know it has the les paul looks and I read the review online and concluded that ART-100 has good stuff for its price, and good set up and good quality; while epiphone Les pauls have OK quality and they are a little more expensive. And I heard that a epiphone les paul is either very bad or very good, but Ibanez ART 100 is always good. (I mean the quality and sound and so.)
if i were you i'd save up to get the les paul and in the mean time take your old one in for a setup to make it a little better for the next few months
Are there any stores where you could possible go a try them out? My cousin just so happens to have a Ziegler (sp?) Les Paul, and from what I can tell, it's just an Epiphone that has a different brand name on it's headstock. His is really nice, but I've always been more partial to Ibanez anyway. If you can't try them both out and there's still a store near you, you could maybe ask one of the employees if they have any experience with either?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
I'd say you should get the Ibanez ART-100. That is a excellent guitar for it's price, and I actually perfer that guitar over an Epiphone les paul. Although the ART looks like the les paul I don't think it has the same tone. I have never played one of the ART guitars for more than 20 minutes, but in that short time I played it, I thought it was a great guitar.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
thanks for the advices guys...
To Quinlan: Yes, I saw this epiphone les paul standard in a store called Musics & Art near me. ( I live in Houston, TX) and I also have a store selling a lot of ibanez guitars near me, but I am not sure if they have ART-100

by the way, I HATE guitar center... No offense to those ppl who like it.

And No Agile, Tokai, Orville, or anything like that in my area that I can find... There are yamahas, but I heard bad things about them...
Last edited by austorior at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by longneckdude
if i were you i'd save up to get the les paul and in the mean time take your old one in for a setup to make it a little better for the next few months

but my guitar is only like a hundred bucks... a set up is like half of my guitar! (I think, or am I wrong about the price?) In any way, is it really worth it? lol
^^^^^^^
Yeah I wouldn't waste the $50 or so on the old gio

Quote by austorior
thanks for the advices guys...
To Quinlan: Yes, I saw this epiphone les paul standard in a store called Musics & Art near me. ( I live in Houston, TX) and I also have a store selling a lot of ibanez guitars near me, but I am not sure if they have ART-100

by the way, I HATE guitar center... No offense to those ppl who like it.

And No Agile, Tokai, Orville, or anything like that in my area that I can find... There are yamahas, but I heard bad things about them...

agile is online at rondo music. tokai is also online but they're uk, so shipping could be a bit much. and i don't know about orville.
Ohh thx but I prefer buying them in store and somehow I have a bad feeling of buying agile or tokai lol maybe it's just me... And somehow I find the finishes of agile lp's are not attractive... Weird?
I would recommend the ART 100 and taking your inexpensive guitar to your teacher or a tech and asking them if they can rig it up for you so it will be playing better. Don't mention "set up" because that usually has a set rate and they will probably want to help you out if you are slick and have spent money there and they have a tech.

I get mine done for free at the places I buy them at or other items. I even get the bridge tone mod done for 10 dollars. You have to use a little BS and slick customer relations techniques with the RIGHT people at the places. Some are pissed off and burnt out, others are true salespeople and professionals that want to help a dude out, especially a younger guy although I'm 59 and they help me out all the time. They KNOW if you are serious about music and are not about getting it fixed to sell. Plus if you tell them you will be buying an ART 100 or equivalent they will want your business and tweaking a few things is simple for them on that guitar.

I stopped messing with my truss rods almost completely and they will do a simple truss rod, saddle adjustment for like ten dollars, no intonation and all that, but they will get rid of buzz and give me nice real low action like I like it.

By the way, I own a new Amber "Swamp Water", the name I gave it, ART 300 with the carved maple top looking like the back of an alligator, supposedly cayman, but similar in the animal world to an alligator. It is awesome and has active pickups. I hear the 100 is just as good but not active but really great and equally good sound. No they don't sound exactly like an Epi LP Standard; I have two and love them. The ART 100 has a neck nice an thin fretboard to the back where your thumb is supposed to rest, like a strat, not like an LP. I like both type necks but originally thought I only like the strat thin type. I still really like thin types though but the big ones are great too. That thin neck is fabulous. The tone is a really deep full rocking low and the high is a stratlike chimey treble. It is a fantastic guitar, the ART 300, and the 100 is supposed to be equally as great.

I got my ART 300 on a price matching deal at a local store for 285 because Guitar Center sold me the day before a black and grey silver burst one that just didn't look animal like enough for me for 285 brand new, matched musciansfriend.com stupid deal of the day or something. My local store price matched it on a brand new amber burst one that looks like "Swamp Water" down in the 'Glades, and I bought it home. They now have a green burst 300 alligator hide type one that looks really really animal like, like a young alligator, I'd love one of those but I have other priorities, like a black cherry ART 100 if I can find one at a great price.

Hope this helps dude.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa
570 764 5705 if you need to hear any more ideas on this or other gear.
if you like the Ibanez neck, get the Ibanez neck. If you prefer the Epi neck, save and buy the Epi.

It's really that simple.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
buy the ibanez and then save up to buy new pickups. =)

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Get the Epiphone, from guitar center. It's $429 and THIS WEEKEND ONLLY they have a $50 off coupon. So you could get it for $379. You'd have to go into the store though, and make sure it's not excluded. It is excluded from the coupon online.
Link to the Epiphone
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
arts have actives dont they
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Quote by BackDoorEntry
arts have actives dont they

Not the 100, get a agile, or just go to guitar center and try both of them and see what one you like best.
Also keep in mind the Epiphone is going to have more of a vintage tone, and the Ibanez is going to have a more modern tone, so it depends on what you're going for. Of course, you always could get the ART100 and put vintage-type pickups in it if that was the tone you were going for, and if you went with GFS pickups, it'd still cost less than the Epiphone, and sound better too.