...of going to college, that is. Nothing emo.

Really, why must I spend four more years of my life burning tens of thousands of dollars (or more) when I'd be happy going to a trade school and fixing car engines?

Just for reference, I'm a junior at a private school and am basically exprected to attend a good school. It's not that I don't have the grades to do so - frankly, I could probably get in basically anywhere I want, barring MIT. And what I really want to do is write. But recently, I've been wondering why I should go to college if all I can get out of it is a useless liberal arts or journalism degree and a mediocre job that I will most likely hate.
Evaluate and relate your college experiences, pitdwellers.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
dude, trade school is kinda like college. Edit ^that is also a good reason!
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
not in Canada.

In Canada college = 2 years if you plan on going to university afterwards, or 3 if you wanna acquire a profession after aka work.

It's pretty cheap also 125 per semester and about 500 for books for semester, 2 semesters in one year.

Btw I live in Montreal it may be different in the rest of Canada.
Whats the point mate?

You go to a private school so you are a least pretty clever, aparrently. Ask yourself the question, again.

The point is to get a decent degree, so you can get a decent job that you enjoy. Then if you earn decent money you can spend more time doing the things you enjoy - like writing.

Unless this question is a joke im suprised you got into a private school.
And what I really want to do is write.

Go there, become a writer, and start working for a sensationalised, government-owned newspaper.
I want to be a physicist. Therefore, college is directly relevant to my interests.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Go to trade school become a plumber and plum.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
It's true that women are a perk of college. But I'm trying to think beyond my dick.

Thought I daresay, the length makes it tough.

Also, I've looked into trade schools, but I think my school would murder me. They like displaying their students' acceptances.

really, I don't see why I have to follow the traditional 'american dream' success story. I just want to support a family and be happy. And I'd like to make money writing, but don't see a way to do that right out of college, unless I work for a newspaper. And it's no secret that journalism jobs aren't too solid and/or profitable.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Last edited by Metal0Maniac at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Metal0Maniac
It's true that women are a perk of college. But I'm trying to think beyond my dick.

Thought I daresay, the length makes it tough.

Also, trade school is certainly an option that I've looked into.

really, I don't see why I have to follow the traditional 'american dream' success story. I just want to support a family and be happy. And I'd like to make money writing, but don't see a way to do that right out of college, unless I work for a newspaper. And it's no secret that journalism jobs aren't too solid and/or profitable.

Hey, just remember that it is your life and you can do whatever you want with it. In fact, you SHOULD do whatever you want with it. Don't let your parents, your school, or the media tell you what you are expected to do. If you want to go to trade school, then by all means, go!
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
My cousin is about to graduate with a writing degree. One of the upsides to going to college was that he got a sweet internship with NASA writing articles for them, and he gets payed decently.
Journalism these days is a joke, and offensive joke if you ask me (or Banksy).

Do you want to join the beautifully boring and dull white collar world?

Do you want to sit in a cubicle and do a career, get a mortgage and 2.3 kids?

College/University is great if you are following your dreams and passions- if you are going to get money in some career you were told makes big cash or your parents are telling you to go because their lives were dull and repetitive then DON'T!

Be happy- you only live once- and this may shock you but "the times are a changin"

Just because your parents had to have a mortgage and 2.3 kids doesn't mean you do. Live your dreams not your parents.
how about going to trade school and doing car engines, while you write books/articles as a side project? you could send your pieces off to wherever you need them published. so you coul do both if you want
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
I don't know, but my plans are to either:

- Further my education in Computer Networking and Maintenance, then pursue a career in that field.

OR

- Go to College/University and study Biological Sciences, then return to my hometown to teach Biology at a high-school level.

TBH, I think I'd be happier teaching. I could probably make more money in Networking, but network techs have terrible hours. As a teacher I'd get summers off.

All of this will be done whilst trying to implant myself into the music industry, although I fully understand that making it as a musician is very tough in this day and age.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by kwidjibo1
how about going to trade school and doing car engines, while you write books/articles as a side project? you could send your pieces off to wherever you need them published. so you coul do both if you want

This is basically my dream plan. But I don't know how it'll pan out.
I don't want a white-collar job, and writing books and such is a a fairly freeform job (I think? I guess it depends). But I don't know how I'll get there from here, other than writing the 'next great american novel' and becoming a prodigy or something.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Quote by Metal0Maniac
This is basically my dream plan. But I don't know how it'll pan out.
I don't want a white-collar job, and writing books and such is a a fairly freeform job (I think? I guess it depends). But I don't know how I'll get there from here, other than writing the 'next great american novel' and becoming a prodigy or something.

i dunno, couldnt you apply to newspapers to be an auther of an article or something? alot of things dont need qualifications. im sure you will find a way
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good