1. Is the Peavey JSX a good amp head?
2. Is the Carvin Legacy a good amp head?
3. Will an amp head sound the same on different cabinets, just whichever cabinet is bigger will sound louder? Or will it sound different depending on what cabinet?
4. If I got both amp heads from the top would I only need one cabinet?
Im not sure about question 1 and 2, but i can somewhat answer 3 and 4

3. Depending on what Cab WILL affect your sound. If you have a crappy Cab, the sound wont be as good. If you have for example a Mesa, Marshall, or a cab with Celestions (SP?) it will sound good. If you have a cab with say, stock Peavey Speakers, it wont sound as good. And, 4X12 is Louder than a 2X12. thats just math, lol.

4. Depends. you can run two heads through 1 Cab, but odds are, it wont sound very good as the signal and sound will trip and mix with each other. So its not exactly recommended, but you can do it. Youd just be better of getting 2 cabs, or if you can afford it, just unplugging and replugging in the different heads into one cab whenever you wanna play one

Hope that helped a little.
Also another noob question whats a noise gate?, cause theirs a noise gate knob on jsx? ALso when i turn amp on will the jsx's tubes glow colored?, cause that would be cool?

THanks for answering
A Noise Gate is typically a pedal (Kinda like my BOSS NS-2) or Amp function that when used, cuts back unwanted sound, such as amp feedback. a Bad Noise Gate can also unfortunately cut out your high notes in solos.

And, as for the 4X12, if you have a crappy Cab it wont make it louder, but a good cab can.
Quote by IbanezMan65
1. Is the Peavey JSX a good amp head?
2. Is the Carvin Legacy a good amp head?

1st-- What is YOUR definition of "Good"?

Quote by IbanezMan65
3. Will an amp head sound the same on different cabinets

No, different cab specs and different speakers will impact the tones possible from any given amp quite a bit.

Quote by IbanezMan65
just whichever cabinet is bigger will sound louder? Or will it sound different depending on what cabinet?

BOTH... adding, for ex. 1 12" speaker to a 1x12 making a 2x12 (assuming the same speaker) will add approximately +3dB of perceived loudness

Quote by IbanezMan65
4. If I got both amp heads from the top would I only need one cabinet?

Huh...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes, different thru different cabs epecially different speakers.
4. yes, but why?

412 won't make it louder necessarily.

um yes, it will
Quote by zachman5150
um yes, it will

it pushes more air it doesnt make it louder

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
it pushes more air it doesnt make it louder

Actually, adding more speakers will be pushing more air, which increases sound pressure, objectively measured in Decibels, which measurably does affect perceived Loudness/Volume.

Edit: Here are some tidbits to help you:

the real issue is sound pressure level (SPL) that increases perceived volume using mulitple amps (which is really just multiple speakers). 4 amps driving 4 speakers will be a bit more efficient than 1 amp driving 4 speakers, but the much bigger effect is the 4 speakers, not the amps. Assuming a 100 dB 1w/1m speaker, a 15w amp and a listening position 10' in front of the amp, here's your SPL comparisons;

1 speaker SPL of 102.1 dB
2 speakers SPL of 105.1 dB
3 speakers SPL of 106.8 dB
4 speakers SPL of 108.1 dB

given that 3 dB is the lowest increase the human ear can detect, going from 1 speaker to 2 (of same size and efficiencey) gives you the "magic" 3dB increase. A 3rd speaker doesn't do that much, but the 4th gives you the nex "magic" 3dB increase (105 to 108)

Here's an good summary of the effect of increased speaker surface area. Again, with multiple amps of the same size with same speaker etc., all you are essentially doing is running a multiple speaker cabinet (i.e., you'd get just about all the same volume effect by running one amp into a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet).

Summary (from http://www.musiccenters.com/vol.html):
Speaker surface area is one factor that effects volume. This concept is not
as simple as it first appears. If we double the surface area we will increase the SPL by 3dB. Here is an example. If you have a 50 watt amp with one 12" speaker and you add another 12" speaker you will get the magic 3dB increase. You would have the same SPL as a 100 watt amp with one Wave Forms12" speaker. To get the next 3dB increase we need to double the surface area again so we would need four 12" speakers. Having 4 speakers will give us a 6dB increase in SPL compared to 1 speaker. Sounds like the same system as the power ratio above doesn't it. Here is were the complex part comes in. If we double the 4 speakers to 8 speakers you would think that there would be a 9dB increase in SPL compared to one speaker, right? Nope. What we get is only a 6dB increase compared to one speaker. Huh? We have now introduced a new factor to this equation...Phase Cancellation. (fig C) In short the distance between the speakers causes the sound to reach your ears, from some of the speakers, at a different time . This has the effect of canceling some of the sound. So...More speakers are better up to a point.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit for you.
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I said 'necessarily'

And with that qualifier, you were still W R O N G...

what if the 212 has Celestion V30s, kick ass wiring, birch cabinet, sealed with professional jacks? And a 412 option at the same price has no name speaker or some 'special design' speaker with cheap cones etc., with a not so kick ass wiring, cab, etc?

I know about the db rule, I'm just saying there are other things that will cause a db loss/gain in addition to the math. Hell, if he can afford a Carvin and a JSX then I guess he can afford whatever cab.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what if the 212 has Celestion V30s, kick ass wiring, birch cabinet, sealed with professional jacks? And a 412 option at the same price has no name speaker or some 'special design' speaker with cheap cones etc., with a not so kick ass wiring, cab, etc?

It obviously meant an equal comparision, if you compare a 212 and 412 cab of the same series by the same company.

Same with amp power - more wattage means more power, but a 30 watt tube could beat a 100 watt SS.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Okay... stepping back into REALITY from Fantasyland, if you're going to make comparissons, compare apples to apples-- NOT pears to grapes and expect to be discussing apples.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I know about the db rule, I'm just saying there are other things that will cause a db loss/gain in addition to the math.

Oh......... okay....

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hell, if he can afford a Carvin and a JSX then I guess he can afford whatever cab.

I wouldn't assume that because he could afford a Carvin and a JSX that he could afford my rig, so why would you assume that he could get any cab he wants? As IF that is relevant in the first place.

Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I know about the db rule, I'm just saying there are other things that will cause a db loss/gain in addition to the math. Hell, if he can afford a Carvin and a JSX then I guess he can afford whatever cab.

Actually I cant afford either yet. It will probably be when im in college before i can get one

Also with the carvin legacy is it good ordering directly from site is it safer?
I don't know if it is necessarily safer. Authorized distributors are set up to handle problems and such and can often provide a lower cost because they are selling in a retail situation in bulk where Carvin (whoever) is a manufacturer. I don't own a carvin but my guess is they, like others would prefer you buy from dealers so they don't have to deal with individual processes.

PS. I didn't even know they sold directly, so maybe there are benefits to that.

My point earlier was that the Carvin and JSX are very similar and 1 amp would probably be sufficient. My other point was that there are other things to consider in a cab beside the number of speakers.

Personally, I would go with the JSX and a 212 cab from Avatar with V30s, but that is just me.