i highly doubt it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Probably too muddy huh? Can you guys suggest any other pedals in that price range that will pull off a decent Tool tone?
CGDAEG
Quote by pinkzep52
Probably too muddy huh? Can you guys suggest any other pedals in that price range that will pull off a decent Tool tone?

It's the amp not the pedal. Why do you have a twin reverb if you are into tool?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
It's the amp not the pedal. Why do you have a twin reverb if you are into tool?

Well the reason is that my friend talked me into covering a Tool song for our school talent show. I was rescently loaned a Twin Reverb by my step uncle among other things. I am going to use that amp at the show because I can't get good metal tones out of my Traynor YCV-40 and i don't have enough headroom on it to use distortion pedals. I love Tool but I don't really play their style at all. With my other band performing at the talent show where doing original songs in the style of progressive rock ala King Crimson, Pink Floyd. That is more or less my style.

I can probably EQ the amp to take the pedal well, right?
CGDAEG
a ycv should get enough gain if you boost it with overdrive.

I'm more partial to the YCS series myself.. but it could work with your YCV
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
If you try to replicate the tone on Aenima more than Lateralus or 10,000 Days you could get pretty close with a big muff.

Turn the gain up high, lots of bass, fairly neutral mids, not too much high end, and a delay pedal and flange in there for good measure and you're pretty much there really.
Good luck, you're trying to replicate a Diezel VH4 and a vintage Marshall of some sort (can't remember what it is) with footpedals.

PROTIP: Impossible. I don't even have the slightest idea what could get a similar sound to that.
I manage to come very close with my 5150.

The actual albums aren't all just VH4 and Marshall though.
Undertow was a bunch of Marshalls, Aenima was mostly Mesa (explains the mud, OHHHHHH BURNNN!) Lateralus, not too sure, and 10,000 Days was like.. Pretty much every high gain amp ever created. There's Bogners and all sorts on it.
All the Marshall really contributes is the big BOWWWWWWWW noise on some of the open string power chords.

Either way, people fuss about his tone WAY too much.
It's not really that much of a holy grail like people make it out to be. There's just a couple of strange elements to it that only the hardcore tool fans notice.
Don't worry about the tone TOO much for the show. As long as it's clear enough to be heard and not overgained to ****, then you can focus on PLAYING the damn song, because at the end of the day, that's what matters.
Quote by pinkzep52
Well the reason is that my friend talked me into covering a Tool song for our school talent show. I was rescently loaned a Twin Reverb by my step uncle among other things. I am going to use that amp at the show because I can't get good metal tones out of my Traynor YCV-40 and i don't have enough headroom on it to use distortion pedals. I love Tool but I don't really play their style at all. With my other band performing at the talent show where doing original songs in the style of progressive rock ala King Crimson, Pink Floyd. That is more or less my style.

I can probably EQ the amp to take the pedal well, right?

The Traynor's a far better bet than a Twin - it's got far more gain on tap. You just just need an EQ pedal and perhaps something to boost the OD a bit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Dream Pin
I manage to come very close with my 5150.

The actual albums aren't all just VH4 and Marshall though.
Undertow was a bunch of Marshalls, Aenima was mostly Mesa (explains the mud, OHHHHHH BURNNN!) Lateralus, not too sure, and 10,000 Days was like.. Pretty much every high gain amp ever created. There's Bogners and all sorts on it.
All the Marshall really contributes is the big BOWWWWWWWW noise on some of the open string power chords.

Either way, people fuss about his tone WAY too much.
It's not really that much of a holy grail like people make it out to be. There's just a couple of strange elements to it that only the hardcore tool fans notice.
Don't worry about the tone TOO much for the show. As long as it's clear enough to be heard and not overgained to ****, then you can focus on PLAYING the damn song, because at the end of the day, that's what matters.

Yeah if I'm replicating a tone I go by what equipment the guitarist uses at live shows. Adam uses two VH4's with their matching Diezel cabinets and 'the Marshall' with a Mesa cab live. Then there's the Gibsons with JB/59's in them, and factoring in the effect the ancient silverburst paint job has on the tone (something about the type of paint used in them). Then there's all the pedals - **** knows what he actually uses, I never found out apart from the Dunlop 535Q.
Lol you guys and your sentences xD

-"The Marshall" is a 70's superbass with two channels wired together.
-Its a silverface and a blueface (out of production) vh4
-Gibson 79' silverburst with Jb/jazz.

As far as replicating his tone its not that hard, you just aren't going to get it exact. But who the **** cares.

Pump mids, pump treble, leave bass around half way and gain around half way.

Thats it.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Lol you guys and your sentences xD

-"The Marshall" is a 70's superbass with two channels wired together.
-Its a silverface and a blueface (out of production) vh4
-Gibson 79' silverburst with Jb/jazz.

As far as replicating his tone its not that hard, you just aren't going to get it exact. But who the **** cares.

Pump mids, pump treble, leave bass around half way and gain around half way.

Thats it.

The Tool fan has spoken! At least I was bang on about the guitar
I can actually get a pretty similar tone to that in the song vicarious with my boss md-2 through my peavey classic 30.
As far as the muff goes, no you can't get anywhere near a tool sound with it, fuzz just isn't the right tone for tool at all.
Quote by Kikuta
The Tool fan has spoken! At least I was bang on about the guitar

lol anytime

I analyze his tone because its simple.

The whole reason their sound is so full is because adam is completely devoted to mids and highs while justin just goes about his business on the extreme bottom end. He has his trebs destroyed and mids cut, very earth shaking sound. Then you've got danny doing his thing making the rythyms and maynard. well maynard just dances with his voice.

Thats how they sound so peculiar, because it sounds like one person.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Oh btw dude what song are you doing?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Okay well the song we're covering is Cold and Ugly so I'm shooting for Marshall Superbass tones I believe. I really want to be able to use the twin reverb for my performances with both bands because at our last practices I had the YCV-40wr cranked up all the way. Now for Cold and Ugly I got enough and bass response for it but it was way too muddy. I like the distortion from that amp but it could never do the drop tuning palm muting stuff no matter how I EQ it. In my other band I really need clean tones for most of the song and with the amp cranked all the way I can't really get clean tones without turning my volume knob to the lowest notch but then I'm not loud enough.

My friend has an old Boss Heavy Metal pedal lying around, do you think that might work well?
CGDAEG
Quote by pinkzep52
My friend has an old Boss Heavy Metal pedal lying around, do you think that might work well?

Haha, not for Tool I don't think. HM-2's are for EXTREME SWEDISH DEATH METAL tones.
Thx for all the replies everyone!
CGDAEG
Last edited by pinkzep52 at Jan 4, 2009,
im sure it will work out fine, now that i know its just for one song.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.