Hi, I've studied a lot of technique over the years, and can name some which I never use, but can't name what I'm obsessing on now. It really challenges my picking wrist coordination, and sounds so good with the right chords, that it should have a name.

It's pretty basic, the challenge is in playing it really fast - I hold down a chord (usually an open one, the best are major sevens and suspended chords), while picking any three adjacent strings in a rapid, cycling motion, trying to produce an even, falling sound (finger pickers do this a lot, but I can't live with long nails, so I try to use my pick). Since I let the strings ring out (no damping after each note is struck), this doesn't fit the description of Sweep Picking. Maybe it could be called Arpeggio Picking, but the discussions which I've seen on Arpeggios show patterns which cross several forms of the given chord across the neck, as opposed to just picking an open Fmaj7. So, what do you call this?

I've also challenged my wrist coordination with related technique, which includes two strings being picked alternately (often, they're not adjacent) - anyone got a term for this one?

Thanks.
Last edited by Finger What? at Jan 4, 2009,
Tremelo picking?
I don't know man, I'm stumped just as you are.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Strumming?

JK, but can you possibly give an example of an artist that uses this technique?

Also, is it just repetitive raking? SRV style?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
So you hold down a chord and pick some strings and let them ring? Sounds like regular picking to me.
give it a new name, patent it, and make millions
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Matt Bellamy does something similar in the bridge of Knights of Cydonia (just before the "Noone's going to take me alive" part).
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Neal Schon does something similar to that. It's basically trem picking except with more than one string. I say just go with trem picking.
Quote by spleanx
it sounds like your arpeggiating a chord

Do like this guy does and make up a magical word that solves your problems
~Defiant~
Quote by yM.Samurai
Matt Bellamy does something similar in the bridge of Knights of Cydonia (just before the "Noone's going to take me alive" part).

Not a big Muse fan, but if you're on about what I think you are, it's called something like rasquedo or rasquerado I think...it's a long time since I played spanish guitar though

I think the TS is on about something more akin to quickly arpeggiating chords/triads
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Rasgueados are ways of tremoloing a chord, what he's doing sounds like sweep picking basically, except he's letting the notes ring out. I'd probably just call it arpeggiating, I don't think there's a word for it. Does it not just sound like strumming?
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Not a big Muse fan, but if you're on about what I think you are, it's called something like rasquedo or rasquerado I think...it's a long time since I played spanish guitar though

I think the TS is on about something more akin to quickly arpeggiating chords/triads

This guy is right in a way.

It's basically a "pick" version of a rasguedo.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I would call this arpeggiating because you let the notes ring into eachother. In sweep picking you play the notes of a chord as a single note line
Quote by xxdarrenxx
This guy is right in a way.

It's basically a "pick" version of a rasguedo.

I wouldnt agree. In a rasguedo, you play all the notes simultaneously (well as close together as possible) and the whole chord is tremolo'd. It sounds like he is playing each note individually as an arpeggio, and repeated that arpeggio as fast as possible, while still giving each note its individual rhythmic place.
When I said rasguedo (or however it's spelt, I admit I can't remember the terms properly ) I was referring to part of the Muse song in the post I quoted, sorry for the confusion. If I remember rightly, which I probably don't as it was a good few years ago, a rasguedo is when you flick the fingers out from your hand and draw them back in again in a sort of 'rolling' motion (i.e one finger follows the other and so on) at very fast speeds.

I would merely call the original post a form of arpeggiating a chord
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
When I said rasguedo (or however it's spelt, I admit I can't remember the terms properly ) I was referring to part of the Muse song in the post I quoted, sorry for the confusion. If I remember rightly, which I probably don't as it was a good few years ago, a rasguedo is when you flick the fingers out from your hand and draw them back in again in a sort of 'rolling' motion (i.e one finger follows the other and so on) at very fast speeds.

I would merely call the original post a form of arpeggiating a chord

That was how I remembered it too, although I could never do it...