Page 1 of 2
Those two genres of rock, Progressive Rock and Psychedelic Rock, are the weird dudes in the bunch of popular hard rock, metal, and punk genres.
I consider Progressive rock as the nerdy geek of the crowd, while Pshychedelic stands out as just the junkie that lives on acid.
They're often looked down on because of their weird sounds, but lets admit it, we all love them.

As far as I know, there are tons of Rush, Pink Floyd, and Dream Theatre fans in this forum, and some Hendrix, Cream, and Jefferson Airplane fans.
Which genre do you prefer more?

I'm just getting into Prog Rock.
I was sorta disappointed by the Dark Side of the Moon, but people keep telling me that I'll love it eventually.
I listen to Rush from time to time, I love their catchy techno geek sounds and how the band dresses...
I have no interest in dream theatre at the moment, but the Chili Peppers, kinda prog rock, is becoming interesting.

For Psychedelic rock, I love it.
The genre is basically in decline since the 70s, but I love Cream because they don't sound like any other band in this universe.
It makes me dizzy at times, and it's good when you want to chillax.
I wouldn't call the chili peppers prog rock. Just alternative.

You'd probably like Ataxia though.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
of the two I'd have to say a mostly like psychedelic rock. the only prog band I really like is Pink Floyd and they sort of blur the boundary between the two genres
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Between the Buried and Me wwoooooooooooooowowowoqwo
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
God I hate progressive music so much it hurts my soul

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Dude, if you want an amazing pink floyd album get animals or the wall. the wall takes a little time to catch on but they are both outstanding. Btw, I wouldn't call progressive rock geeky, I'd call it more artsy than anything. Prog rock is about experimentation and psychadelic rock is about being trippy.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I feel like I should pay you in sexual favors for that truly fapic story.

Quote by esther_mouse
Aww thank you sweetie Made my day a little bit brighter.

^that post and others like it made mine a Lot brighter.
out of all those bands you mentioned, the only one i actually listen to is Rush.

i also listen to john petrucci...without his horrible lead singer.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
OH YEAH! if you like prog, listen to King Crimson and Tool.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I feel like I should pay you in sexual favors for that truly fapic story.

Quote by esther_mouse
Aww thank you sweetie Made my day a little bit brighter.

^that post and others like it made mine a Lot brighter.
I love reporting vs. threads

Also... Pink Floyd and Dream Theater ftw
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by FishCream
Dude, if you want an amazing pink floyd album get animals or the wall. the wall takes a little time to catch on but they are both outstanding. Btw, I wouldn't call progressive rock geeky, I'd call it more artsy than anything. Prog rock is about experimentation and psychadelic rock is about being trippy.

The Wall really isn't progressive or psychedelic, it's more stadium rock. It's definitely an incredible story and awesome album, but for more psychedelic I'd suggest Saucerful of Secrets.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Progressive metal > everything.

If it's just rock though I prefer psychadelic.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jan 3, 2009,
Coheed and Cambria and Muse are two bands that interest me.

Quote by JohanthePirat
I like both. I don't listen to much psychedelic, not sure where to start.

Cream, damn it, CREAM
Quote by FishCream
OH YEAH! if you like prog, listen to King Crimson and Tool.

It's weird you can't find both of those in iTunes

I can't give it a go if I can't try it
Quote by Cpt_Tucan
How about NO VERSUS THREADS?

dude shutup, you're a 09'r, in fact you just registered today, gtfo.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by radomu

Cream, damn it, CREAM

how can i forget about muse!
Isn't this like the 3rd vs thread today?
Come on now, pit, you're smarter than this!
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob
I am slightly disappointed =w=eeze took me out of his sig.

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
Dude, if you're getting into Prog rock, you gotta listen to An Endless Sporadic and Yes. Also try King Crimson. You might like Coheed and Cambria, but they are like a mix of alternative and prog, so try them.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Dark Side of The Moon is one of most favorite albums, it grows on you. I love Psychedelic, 60's early 70's era.
Quote by SpockTheRock
Dude, if you're getting into Prog rock, you gotta listen to An Endless Sporadic and Yes. Also try King Crimson. You might like Coheed and Cambria, but they are like a mix of alternative and prog, so try them.

This. Although I don't know much about Endless Sporadic. Also, Dream Theater's awesome. Just putting that out there.
Quote by JohanthePirat
This. Although I don't know much about Endless Sporadic. Also, Dream Theater's awesome. Just putting that out there.

Ah, I don't know how I forgot Dream Theater.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Quote by radomu

Cream, damn it, CREAM

Cream isn't really psychedelic rock, psychedelic rock is more like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Jefferson Airplane and 13th Floor Elevators.

Last.fm
syd barrett ( solo stuff ) , grateful dead, jefferson airplane, the doors, pink floyd, hendrix, are some of my favourite bands. long live psycadelic rock!
I love both genres.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
mars volta are like a psychedelic and prog chili peppers lol.. anyone know bands like mars volta? i love omar's playing style

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
No one's mentioned Jethro Tull?

The shame UG, the shame!

Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Cream isn't really psychedelic rock, psychedelic rock is more like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Jefferson Airplane and 13th Floor Elevators.

It is Psychedelic rock, they and the Jimi Hendrix Experience were the two great forerunners of the genre in Britain.
Quote by Zangetsu 101

The shame UG, the shame!

Ehhhhh.....

I don't care for Jethro Tull very much.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by radomu
It is Psychedelic rock, they and the Jimi Hendrix Experience were the two great forerunners of the genre in Britain.

They where precursors to Psychedelic rock, but they both actually played Blues Rock.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
They where precursors to Psychedelic rock, but they both actually played Blues Rock.

Agreed, but Jimi's music does have a lot of psychedelic nuances in it.

However, Jimi was a blues player at heart.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by radomu
For Psychedelic rock, I love it.
The genre is basically in decline since the 70s, but I love Cream because they don't sound like any other band in this universe.

I like the way you think... Cream were, in my opinion, the tightest and best sounding band of the time, and had the most talented musicians.

I love psychedelic rock though
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

True, but a lot of Cream's music was psychedelic in nature as well as blues rock.

Understand that most bands don't have a single genre that defines them, unless they're the Sex Pistols, which is obviously punk.
Led Zeppelin isn't just hard rock is it?
NO, it's folk, celtic, regge, blues, psychedelic, arabic, eastern, and many others.
Quote by radomu
True, but a lot of Cream's music was psychedelic in nature as well as blues rock.

yeah, but they don't really sound like any bands that are traditionally associated with psychedelic rock.

Last.fm
Quote by Zangetsu 101

The shame UG, the shame!

Just getting into them.
woot woot.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Page 1 of 2