... but if I took an old combo, and sawed off the speaker cabinet and left the speaker jack, wouldn't I have just made a head?

Or would this totally not work?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
depends if you harm the wiring or not
It could really damage the hardware if your not careful
Yeah, I know that...

I'm just wondering, because I have this really old combo lying around my house, and I thought it could be a cool idea

EDIT: Not old as in really awesome vintage Fender or Marshall or Ampeg or anything. Just an old Kustom amp that has amazing cleans (it's an acoustic amp)
--

--
It's very unlikely to actually work
becuase the amps werent built to be taken apart like that
I really want to make this work lol

Any advice from anyone on how to actually do it? I'm thinking I wouldn't have a problem really harming anything, as all the wiring is top-and-back mounted..... The only thing I'd be concerned about is the grille cloth, because as far as I can see, there's no way to take it off...
--

--
Don't know why you'd want to do that, but it seems like it should work. An acoustic amp might be a little different than an electric amp. Electric amps seem to have the electronics contained on an aluminum chassis. As long it can be done without damaging the electronics and they don't fall out on the floor, it should work fine.
Yes you can do this, this has been done to my 5150 combo becuase its so damn heavy when it was a combo! Here as some pics of it after it was split:

(Combo split)

The top half of the combo which is now an amplifier head ready to be used with any cab as long as the Ohms match up!

This link is for a tutorial for doing this mod to a 5150 combo but similar principals should apply to any amplifier!

http://mrj-studios.com/Hosted/Peavey%205150%20Combo%20HEAD%20CONVERSION%20MOD1.pdf
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Last edited by chrism3006 at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by KG6_Steven
Don't know why you'd want to do that, but it seems like it should work. An acoustic amp might be a little different than an electric amp. Electric amps seem to have the electronics contained on an aluminum chassis. As long it can be done without damaging the electronics and they don't fall out on the floor, it should work fine.

Yeah, I know it'll be different than my Palo; that's part of the reason I want to do it

And why turn it into a head? Personally, I think it'd look pretty cool , and I just need a prolect to keep me busy

And thanks, that's what I figured would be the difference between the two types of amps. I've looked at the board in the back of the Kustom; it's all seeming wired to a PCB board and that's bolted to the back panel, which is bolted to the sides of the actual wood chasis, so I think it'd work. If I do it, I'll post pics

Thanks guys!

Quote by chrism3006
Yes you can do this, this has been done to my 5150 combo becuase its so damn heavy when it was a combo! Here as some pics of it after it was split:

(Combo split)

The top half of the combo which is now an amplifier head ready to be used with any cab as long as the Ohms match up!

This link is for a tutorial for doing this mod to a 5150 combo but similar principals should apply to any amplifier!

DUDE. That's what I needed to see Thanks man!
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jan 3, 2009,
No worries! That tutorial should give you an idea of how to go about it, be sure to post some pics when you do it and good luck!
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk