Which one would be better for recording music?
And can anyone recommend models?
Looking for a budget computer that I can record on, have a large music library, etc.
For music needs, I would say go with an Apple, but that's just my opinion.
EDIT: Oh, and if you're on a budget, go with a desktop. Laptops typically cost more than a desktop.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Last edited by SpockTheRock at Jan 3, 2009,
Desktop. You can have multiple hard drives (with a RAID configuration they can keep running if one fails, though backups are still a must), USB/Firewire/PCI/PCI-e expansion is easier/possible with it (add soundcards, DSP cards that can run plugins), and they're generally more powerful. If you aren't going places, get a desktop, period.

Internal expansion's not really possible with Mac desktops except the Pro. What are your specific needs, that'll really help.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Desktop. You can have multiple hard drives (with a RAID configuration they can keep running if one fails, though backups are still a must), USB/Firewire/PCI/PCI-e expansion is easier/possible with it (add soundcards, DSP cards that can run plugins), and they're generally more powerful. If you aren't going places, get a desktop, period.

Internal expansion's not really possible with Mac desktops except the Pro. What are your specific needs, that'll really help.

Basically a media-centered computer.
Recording, listening, viewing, etc.
Definitely a desktop, with the biggest case possible and loads of slots for expansion cards - and don't skimp on the processor. If you want to record with lots of plugins, virtual instruments etc, 2GB of RAM or more will come in very handy. Also get the fastest hard disk you can find, 7200RPM or more preferably.
All sounds expensive, you you could build it yourself for around the price of a mid-range Dell or similar.

That said, I get good recordings of up to around 20 tracks with my coal-fired, 1.8Ghz, 512MB RAM machine and a 60GB mini USB hard drive - so you don't have to spend a fortune!
if you want to be able to have a portable computer, laptops are great.

I'd take mine over to friends house and have them put stuff on it and download stuff.
Plus I can take it to college and stuff.

But desktops are great if you plan on keeping it at home 24/7!

i love my toshiba laptop, but destops are great too.
Its really if you need to to portable or not.
Quote by SpockTheRock
For music needs, I would say go with an Apple, but that's just my opinion.
EDIT: Oh, and if you're on a budget, go with a desktop. Laptops typically cost more than a desktop.

ironic, apple desktops cost more than the macbook. but otherwise true; if your only at home, get a desktop, but if moving around at all, a "powerful" laptop should handle recording

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
I 100% reccomend a macbook I just picked up a mac book with 2gb of ram. Got a 22 lcd screen a toneport ux2 and a good mic for about 1000$ The new operating system isn't hard to learn if you're new to mac. Gearbox and Garageband=great quality recordings for a budgit.
For the price of an average performing Laptop you can get a desktop that is twice as performing. Not to mention that Desktops are easier to "mess around with", adding Hard Disks, changing Sound Cards and whatnot.
Quote by cratskomodo
Basically a media-centered computer.
Recording, listening, viewing, etc.

Then a desktop will be more than adequate. If you can, get two monitors side by side (you'll probably need a video card)...it makes work and music making a lot easier.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
If its only a project studio, an Imac will do the job, so will a macbook.

If you're multitracking more than say... 12 tracks at 48khz/24bit then you'll want a macbook pro or imac with atleast 2gb of ram.