hey all, i am having trouble keeping my strings quiet, i seem to lightly pull off notes when releasing them sometimes and i cant seem to get the hang of muting with my picking hand im not sure whether to use the palm of the thumb or what really, my hand just wants to hover all the time and when i really concentrate on keeping it on the strings i mute the string im playing by accident. any tips on keeping them quiet? makes my playing sound really sloppy any exercises that might help or practice advice is cool, anyone else find this a pain when starting out?

thanks
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Jan 3, 2009,
Check the distance of the string to the pickup. Press any string @ the 14th fret measure the distance from the string to the top of the pickup. The furthest away from that string will be quieter, then the closer it is the louder it will be. Adjust to your liking and enjoy.
I had the same problem too, I think naturally the more you play you start muting it at the right places and times. Make sure its loud enough to hear the unwanted "open" note noise's. High Gain seems to cause the noise most of the time, so make sure you don't have a super fuzzy distortion.
Quote by Herotime
Check the distance of the string to the pickup. Press any string @ the 14th fret measure the distance from the string to the top of the pickup. The furthest away from that string will be quieter, then the closer it is the louder it will be. Adjust to your liking and enjoy.

Could you please explain what you mean again?
i am practising with high gain atm so that the noises are more noticable so i know when im doing it wrong im just finding it hard to judge how far to bring my hand down when picking. like say im playing the g string i want to use my palm to mute the strings above it without bringing my hand down to far and muting the g string itself. its really bad when skipping over strings, like going from the a to the g i always pull off a little by mistake and i cant seem to judge where my palm should be to stop the sound getting out .
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
practice and play slow with lots of gain. I can't stress it enough to play SLOWLY even though you want to see progress. It'll take a little bit to get used to it but you will thank yourself in the long run because proper muting will become second nature.

also make sure you are muting the higher strings with the rest of your index finger. Lay your first finger across all of the strings that are higher than the one you are playing. This combined with using your palm to mute the lower notes = no string noise.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
cheers buddy, using my index finger to mute the higher strings has always been something i do naturally, my finger prefers being like that anyway although sometimes my finger sticks to the strings and so i do little pull offs by accident if that makes sense. which is becoming less frequent but im hoping if i can get the palm part of it down as well i will have much cleaner playing. is there anything you recommend playing for practicing it slowly? will scales and chromatic stuff work okay? i will try and keep it as slow as possible to make sure i get it down, im considering recording my picking hand from an angle to see if i can spot problems.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
^ i used to do that playing sweeps. Make sure to lift your fingers straight up instead of at an angle so you don't grab the strings and make them ring.

Also, when you play does the tip of your forefinger touch the string that is one lower?

because if the palm thing isn't accurate enough, you can get all of the lower strings except for the closest lower string to the one you are playing with your palm and you can get that one with the tip of your forefinger.

say you are playing 12th fret on the G. Use your first finger to hold that note, and have the tip of it slightly touch the D string. Use your palm for E and A, and of course use the rest of your forefinger for B and E. Play up and down scales using this technique slowly with lots of gain and if you are making too much noise, STOP and go slower than you already are.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
You could always pull a Greg Howe and put a band at the top of the neck. But you still need to learn how to mute strings.
This is weird. I have always used the edge of my right hand as well as whatever is free on my left. It was hell on a Strat (don't even mention Teles with the bridge cover) but easy peasy to get it right on a Gibson. Then I got a locking trem and had to learn a rather different technique i.e. without pressure on the springy bridge.
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
You could always pull a Greg Howe and put a band at the top of the neck. But you still need to learn how to mute strings.

True, but then:

1.) Some people will give you a hard time about it.
2.) If you have to play something open then you're screwed.
yeh cheers guys, i have already started to use the tip of my finger to mute the string below, i started to practice that the other day and its starting to become natural so thats good, cheers for the advice on lifting my finger off, i must admit it is usually at an angle when i lift which could be the problem. il continue playing slow and hopefully il see an improvement soon. The hairband is a good idea in some circumstances but in others i see it as being a bit lazy and i feel i should still learn to mute strings correctly, fair enuff if i was good enuff to play some crazy tapping stuff then the hairband would be aceptable but i think it would just hinder my progression, cheers tho
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Going to bump this thread because I'm having a similar problem also. I'm good to go as far as the index finger of my fretting hand. The problems arise when I start jumping around or doing string skips and I need my right hand to do some muting. I'm having trouble angling my hand so that I can pick while my thumb/palm rests on ONLY the strings above that one. Usually I'll either accidentally mute the string I'm playing, my palm will move off the strings accidentally, or I will end up holding my pick at such a strange angle that I won't be able to pick cleanly. I've tried reducing the amount of pick extending away from my hand (holding it closer to the tip) but this results in unwanted pinch harmonics. Is there any universal advice when coping with these problems, or is the technique specific to each individual? Any help would be appreciated.
sounds like you are having the same problem with making the palm go where you want, I have started to improve at it though, what Im finding helps is to just pick a scale to play or just a random 3 note per string pattern (these help my alt picking) or chromatic excessive or anything basically that descends and ascends the 6 strings, play it really slow and when you change to the next string concentrate of getting your palm to the previous string, check you have your palm in the right place after by playing the previous string and checking it is muted and that the other string sounds cleanly. if you have gone to far or not muted the string at all start all over again (you dont want to train yourself with bad habits) if you have done it correctly try and concentrate on how this feels on your palm, hopefully the feeling will then become a guide for you to subconsciously perform the technique. hope this helps a bit, its been improving my muting a lot, also look at videos of really clean fast pickers on youtube like petrucci, paul gilbert... and look at how they angle the pick and how they keep there hands and see what works best for you. and regards to left jhand make sure you lift off the fret in a controlled manner cos i was making excess noise but pulling off the strings by mistake.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube