what are some freeware programs for capturing audio playing on the computer (for mac)? wiretap was good for a while but it looks like you can't get it for free anymore.

i just need something that does the same thing - captures the sound that is being played through the computer speakers. is there anything else that is free?

edit: I need something that records internal audio, not external audio. internal audio is what comes out of the computer speakers. both garageband and audacity record external audio.

NOT AUDACITY, NOT GARAGEBAND
Last edited by rock_n_roll124 at Jan 3, 2009,
I'm not sure but I think there's Audacity for Mac. Could be wrong though.

EDIT:
Quote by Deece
Im not sure if its available for macs, but Audacity all the way.

Woah ... scary.
Quote by Deece
Im not sure if its available for macs, but Audacity all the way.

This.
Make a joyful noise.

Guild M-30

Peavy Audition 110 amp hey, i'm actually proud of this one.
boss ME-50
www.iamterrified.com
no point in saying audacity is a good choice uh ?

And doesn't garage band do this ?
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
there is audacity for mac. i've used it before, but does it do the same thing?

for example, with wiretap, it can record audio that is being played from youtube, itunes, etc. onto a new mp3 file.
Well, Do you want a program to RECORD or a program to just tap the music directly to an mp3 ?

Cause then i'd say that google is you're friend on this one.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by G-loony
Well, Do you want a program to RECORD or a program to just tap the music directly to an mp3 ?

Cause then i'd say that google is you're friend on this one.

for example, if i want the audio for something on youtube to be an mp3 in my itunes library.
Garageband comes free with most Macs, and it's perfectly adequate for most things you will be doing in your bedroom.

Quote by xaviergray

Use it in conjunction with a DAW and you have pure epic winnage.

If you have a DAW theres no need for Audacity, seeing as one of the most basic functions of any DAW is to record audio.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Garageband comes free with most Macs, and it's perfectly adequate for most things you will be doing in your bedroom.

Like using the webcam to record yourself...you know. lol
Quote by MetallicaIsGhey
Like using the webcam to record yourself...you know. lol

exactly

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

If you have a DAW theres no need for Audacity, seeing as one of the most basic functions of any DAW is to record audio.

I find Audacity easier to use for straight audio recording purposes; I use DAWs for actual synths. Plus recording the soft synths in a DAW is pretty limited on its own (I like changing the cutoff settings and such while playing)

EDIT: OK I see what you mean, TS... Damn, I had this one app that would let me do it, but the name escapes me... and I believe it was merely a free trial
Last edited by xaviergray at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by xaviergray
I find Audacity easier to use for straight audio recording purposes; I use DAWs for actual synths. Plus recording the soft synths in a DAW is pretty limited on its own (I like changing the cutoff settings and such while playing)

that's what the mod wheel is for.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that's what the mod wheel is for.

Wow, I just discovered that. Shows you how much of a n00b I am

EDIT: OK, your post made me discover a whole new part of Logic Pro I never knew about the "Environment". Thanks man
Last edited by xaviergray at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by xaviergray
You didn't read his post, did you?

well none of my google searches were so efficient...

i was looking for a downloadable program but this is just as good.
the link i gave you is downloadable though, And the full version (wich is also free) Can do multiple things, Like grabbing the whole vid of off youtube.

But pick you're poison.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Quote by MetallicaIsGhey
audacity sucks, imho.

Can't argue with the price