I tend to get bored over the summer, so this year I've decided to custom paint a guitar as a "project". I have looked around the internet and researched this kind of thing and i have just a few questionsbefore i start.

I'm getting a cheap £50GBP stratocaster copy (just incase i **** it up, it doesn't matter too badly) and I want to paint it candy/lime green (hopefully the same colour as the guitar picture attached) and put 2 thin stripes around the longest 'horn' (1 black and the 1 below it white.) I'm going to leave the headstock as it is if it has no colour, if it does, I will sand it down and clear coat

My questions are:

1)Am i going to need to add wood primer to the wood after I sand it? (before the paint)

2)Im planning on getting areasol cans to spray the green on. How many coats shall i need, and how many cans?

3)Would it work to do the stripes with acrylic? Would it be okay to paint them over the green?

4)Do I sand it after i have added paint, then repaint it again, or do i just sand it after the paint then add clear coat?

5)What are your opinions on spraying the tone/volume controls the same colour as the body?
dude...professional. if you don't like how ur axe looks, get a professional to paint. she's ur baby, u can't put her at the risk of getting ****ed up! besides, if a professionals messes up, at least u've got sumbody to sue!
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
Quote by ProphetToJables
thats the point, I'm buying a cheap-ass £50 guitar just for this.
also, could i attach a stetsbar? http://stetsbar.com/

that thing looks bad ass =O!!!
How much are they? and it says it fits most types like that.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by LaGrange
that thing looks bad ass =O!!!
How much are they? and it says it fits most types like that.

300-400
Okay, heres the process.

1. Sand down with the following, in order 60,100/150, 200

2. PRime that biaaatch.

3. Put a few layers of paint on.

4. Put 2-3 good layers of clear on.

5. Sand the clear smooth.

6. Repeat #4

7. Then rub that baby down with some nice soft microfiber.

Or, you could have done this...

Edit: No problem.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
is the wood primer crucial, can you suggest a good brand?

EDIT: should i add a coatof white before my green?
Last edited by ProphetToJables at Jan 3, 2009,
Are there any sites that will sell you an electric guitar, but without primer, paint or clear coat? Or any stores in England?
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13
dude...professional. if you don't like how ur axe looks, get a professional to paint. she's ur baby, u can't put her at the risk of getting ****ed up! besides, if a professionals messes up, at least u've got sumbody to sue!

get out of the GBC thread right now!!!
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13

He bought a cheap strat copy to paint as a project. It's not his special baby axe. And why hand it over to a professional when you can do it yourself?

Oh, and spraying the knobs to match the body isn't something I would do, I think they look better as an accent, get them white or black, like your stripes.
Last edited by brcck at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13

Why the **** are you posting in the GB&C?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by brcck
He bought a cheap strat copy to paint as a project. It's not his special baby axe. And why hand it over to a professional when you can do it yourself?

Oh, and spraying the knobs to match the body isn't something I would do, I think they look better as an accent, get them white or black, like your stripes.

Guitarfetish.com

Theres a knob section with all kinds of sexy knobs.

If anything i recomend the Aged amber Tophat knobs.
Here they are...
http://store.guitarfetish.com/viaambetokns.html
That would go great with that color of green to me.
They do look good.... but I'm trying not to buy anything online, if i absolutley have to then i need english sites.
I'm really diggin those black and pearl tophat knobs. But idk about english sites, sorry.
Quote by ProphetToJables
but I'm trying not to buy anything online

Prepare to be ripped off then!

For cheap things like knobs, there is no problem with buying from the US, as you won't get shafted for duty/VAT.

If you are looking for cheap stuff in the UK, try www.axesrus.co.uk - I use them a lot.
axetec.co.uk is also very good, and there a few good British ebay shops... CH Guitars and guitarpartsworldwide have both been good for me.
Quote by Øttər
White before the green...?

Thats what the primer does.

Not if the Primer is grey, or mustard yellow (true)!

OK. First up. Do you know what a Candy finish is?

Do you have access to any spray painting equipment, other than spray cans.

What type of finish do you want, you mentioned stripes? You will have to link to a pic, because I am afraid I don't know what every famous guitarist, plays!

If you DO want an actual Candy finish, then you will need two paints. One base coat, one Candy coat. Candy is Clear (ish) and goes over a basecoat that will comliment it.

I usually use a Silver basecoat, if I want a bright popping finish.

Candy is harder to spray, than regular paint.

Evortre was pretty much bang on, with a few details missing.

If you want my help, you are welcome to it but it will help if you answer the questions above fully.
i do not really know what a candy finish is, and i dont really mind if it is a candy finish or not, but i hear they look good.
i dont hav any access to any spray painting equipment, other than spray cans.
i want either black adn white stripers, or to let the natural wood to show through (2 stripes)