I want to start building my own guitar and I want it to have these things:

Alder flat super-strat Body
24 fret neck-thru Maple neck 25.5"
Rosewood fingerboard
Locking Floyd Rose Tremolo
EMG 81 & 85
42mm neck width

I'm looking to build a slightly modified ESP M-II.

Also, how would I go about making my guitar neck though body? This is my first project so tell me how to do it like you're telling a person who has no experience. Links will help too.

EDIT: This is for buying things off of places like warmoth.com and stewmac.com not completely from scratch.
Last edited by coryklok at Jan 3, 2009,
From scratch? Nothing pre made?It depends on weather or not you have access to tools and a local lumber yard.

Ideal situation, for that guitar $500 - $700 US.

For example, I live in Canada where everything is expensive, I have no local lumber yard, but the only tools I need are for fretwork and a router. That guitar would cost me about a thousand dollars to be able to make.

If you need to order your wood or anything else online, and you have no access to any of the required tools, then upwards of three thousand.

To build a neckthrough, you buy a piece of wood that is the full length of the guitar. THat will be the neck. Then, you glue two pieces of wood at one end of either side, these are the "wings". They are shaped to become the body.

If you really want to figure out how build a guitar, buy a book, and look at www.projectguitar.com .
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
http://www.projectguitar.com/

No experience? You might want to start learning in steps. Do you know how to wire? What kind of woodworking have you done?

Edit:

Quote by Øttər
If you really want to figure out how build a guitar, buy a book, and look at www.projectguitar.com .

Hah, beat me to the punch. I'm stuck unable to build simply because I have no access to a bandsaw or a router. I can't wait until I get the chance to really build!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Last edited by GravyFish at Jan 3, 2009,
these sites should help you out.

warmoth.com
guitarfetish.com
stewmac.com
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Don't buy your wood from warmoth, buy it from LP Addict on UG.
Don't buy your hardware from guitarfetish, it will fall apart.
Don't ever by anything from stewmac, they charge about 30% more than they should.

Thanks for trying dude, but know your stuff first.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
if you want a neck through, you'll have to make it your self.
As far as i know Stewmac and Warmoth only offer bolt on's
Quote by Øttər

I have a strat bridge (the U.S. spaced one) and it's well put-together, much better than the import bridges I've seen, easily as nice as a MIM Strat. I have heard they have shoddy hardware, maybe I got lucky. What parts were so bad?
I Japanese Fenders
Quote by Øttər
Don't ever by anything from stewmac, they charge about 30% more than they should.

Wow dude, you sound like you know your stuff. Would you mind if this project actually happens, helping me through PM's?

And as for knowing how to wire my dad knows all of that stuff. He's redone his guitar and my brothers Squier.
My locking tuners don't lock, my black knobs are brass after a few uses, and the knife edges on my Floyd Rose literally crumpled with use.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
My locking tuners don't lock, my black knobs are brass after a few uses, and the knife edges on my Floyd Rose literally crumpled with use.

Wow, that really blows. I must have just gotten lucky. Oh well, I work for a music store so I just order most everything I need, since I get a discount. Stuff is still way expensive, though. Bummer about the hardware dude, I'll watch out.
I Japanese Fenders
I did get what I paid for though. $30 locking tuners, a $40 Floyd Rose? What could I expect...

A hardtail bridge is realtively cheap to manufacture, it's just bent steel, so it can be sold cheaply at no great cutback in quality.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
carvin sells a neckthrough neck, already fretted, etc etc
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Yes, they do, which is very nice.

However, it is an angled neck which limits bridge choice. TuneOmatic for the win, bigsby for the epic win.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
you might want to see nuthinbuttrubl8, regarding parts.

And sorry to hijack but GravyFish could i see a pic of your Tele, i'm just curious since it sounds very similar to mine
^ Way ahead of you telemetal . I PM'ed her about parts haha!

Hey man, +1 to the springsteen lyrics. The boss for the win.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər

I don't feel comfortable buying from UGer's...
<_<

>_>

Is there anywhere else I could get guitar wood from?

Quote by Øttər
^ Way ahead of you telemetal . I PM'ed her about parts haha!

Hey man, +1 to the springsteen lyrics. The boss for the win.

I'm a guy. That's just for profile views, and IT WORKS.
Quote by telemetal
you might want to see nuthinbuttrubl8, regarding parts.

And sorry to hijack but GravyFish could i see a pic of your Tele, i'm just curious since it sounds very similar to mine

Sure, let me upload it real quick...

Done!

The "Flamed Maple Top" is really a picture of flamed maple made into a decal and adhered to the top of of a piece of basswood, then glued to the alder body. It's from the Foto-Flame series. The neck is done up the same way, and it has forearm and rib contours, which you can't see. I love it!

I Japanese Fenders
Last edited by GravyFish at Jan 3, 2009,
You don't feel comfortable?

Wait to you see how much it costs...

Ok, go to www.warmoth.com . Arguably the best commercial supplier of wood, but the most expensive too.

Don't you have a local lumberyard?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
You don't feel comfortable?

Wait to you see how much it costs...

Ok, go to www.warmoth.com . Arguably the best commercial supplier of wood, but the most expensive too.

Don't you have a local lumberyard?

Well about how much cheaper will it be?
A warmoth mahogany body blank is $90, LPs are $50. I don't know about his prices for other things, but he is a lot cheaper than warmoth.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Well I'm basically looking to make this guitar with an EMG 81 & 85 pup set & 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, & a 3-way pup selector.

http://espguitars.com/guitars_m2.html

The first guitar one that page is the one I'm looking to do.
Are you going to carve the body and neck out of blank wood, or do you need it pre made?

Do you need it painted, where are you getting the hardware, etc.. ?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by metalwarrior40
carvin sells a neckthrough neck, already fretted, etc etc

Yeah, I'd suggest this. I believe it can get different headstocks too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
At this point I would have to say the carvin if you don't like fellow UGers.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by GravyFish
Sure, let me upload it real quick...

Done!

The "Flamed Maple Top" is really a picture of flamed maple made into a decal and adhered to the top of of a piece of basswood, then glued to the alder body. It's from the Foto-Flame series. The neck is done up the same way, and it has forearm and rib contours, which you can't see. I love it!

yea, i thought so, i've got one too, one from '96. Great guitars aren't they?

And TS, i'm with Otter, if you don't trust UGer's, go with Carvin and/or your local yard
Quote by Øttər
Are you going to carve the body and neck out of blank wood, or do you need it pre made?

Do you need it painted, where are you getting the hardware, etc.. ?

I might decide to go with LP addict for my wood. I would like the wood to be pre-made and I'll be painting it myself. I'm most likely going to get my hardware from the internet, seeing as no guitar shops near me sell Floyd Rose's.
If your getting hardware, talk to LP addict as well, or nuthinbuttrubl8. They both have dealer status at allparts, and I think nuthinbuttrubl8 has it at a few other spots as well.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
If your getting hardware, talk to LP addict as well, or nuthinbuttrubl8. They both have dealer status at allparts, and I think nuthinbuttrubl8 has it at a few other spots as well.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind.

I still have one question:

How the f*ck do I go about making the guitar neck-thru? I've looked at several tutorials and they all confused me.
Quote by telemetal
if you want a neck through, you'll have to make it your self.
As far as i know Stewmac and Warmoth only offer bolt on's

carvin sells necktrhough necks
I could do this for less than $500 probably.
I have 2 neckthrough builds in my threads that could be helpful.
I make the neck 2 1/2" wide and get that all made then glue the wings on. I shape and rout everything I can in the wings beforehand and use the cutoffs to help glue it up and biscuits or dowels can help keep everything together but aren't absolutely necessary. Then I rout for the pickups and shape the neck, the heel takes a lot of hand work with a rasp, sandpaper, and possibly an angle grinder if you have one and are trying to make it so there is no heal.