So I know some friends that gig and they usually hook up to the systems instead of having really loud amps, but some of us wanna play at a talent show and I dono if they will do that. Last time we auditioned it was a failure because our lack of wattage and our drummer forgot to bring a carpet (his set slid)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481601

I figured I'd go really big. I have a 25 watt, but I don't want to make little steps and then have to go bigger in the future.
look elsewhere at some tube combos if you're going to be gigging with it. what type of music do you play ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
For that money you could get a used Peavey Classic 30. Mine gets over drums very easily. I have a Frontman 15g, and if the bigger ones are anything like the smaller ones then you won't like it I think. 100w solid state doesn't sound too appealing either. Try one out, but I know I can't stand the sound of solid state amps when they are cranked, horrible sounding in most cases.

Also, this probably should belong in GG&A forum.
Last edited by chip46 at Jan 3, 2009,
Personally, I'd go with a Tube amp because they're much more powerful and warmer sounding.
Well I'm into alot of stuff. We were going to do a Can't Stop cover (RHCP) and my Fender 25W sounds pretty good with that. Besides covers I think we'd be something like alternative/indie maybe like Modest Mouse?
I play on that amp at my church all the time and I really love it. The only thing is that it is miked up and I keep it on about 1-2 so it doesn't go too loud and the sound guy cranks it up in the house. I really like it, but most of these guys are probably right about getting a nice tube amp if you need to boost over drums..
Make a joyful noise.

Guild M-30

Peavy Audition 110 amp hey, i'm actually proud of this one.
boss ME-50
www.iamterrified.com
Try saving up for a fender hotrod. I used to think solid state was good, but trust us when we say you should try to save up for a tube amp.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Pick up a cheap tube amp. If you need it to be loud, the Peavey ValveKing is 50w for $420.
My recomendation of used Peavey Classic 30 still stands. Or it you think you're going to get mic'ed up then maybe a Blues Junior. Theres also the Crate V series amps. My friend recently got the new Vox VT amp and it can do a variety of sounds with a good tone to most of them.
^Yeah, Valvekings Rock! I got the halfstack version.
Gear:
Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6118T Anniversary
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender Showmaster

Peavey Valveking Half Stack

My YouTube Channel
If it's going to be an amp that you're not planning on replacing soon, or anytime in the future, you should spend twice the amount, atleast.
serioiusly dude,,, unless u hav heaps of killer pedals and alot of time on ur hands i wudnt go a fender frontman,,, the distortion suks on them,, me and my friend hv been trying 2 find a nice sound on them 4 over a year and its just sukky
Quote by maiden03
serioiusly dude,,, unless u hav heaps of killer pedals and alot of time on ur hands i wudnt go a fender frontman,,, the distortion suks on them,, me and my friend hv been trying 2 find a nice sound on them 4 over a year and its just sukky

I luv my pedals, so I don't worry about amp effects. I mainly use DS-1 and NS-2. I also have a BF-2 and PW-10 (i took out the PW-10 cause its acting weird)
i hate that amp...its like a piercing tone...i had a 65 watt frontman that sounded better and was still plenty loud...blues jr. now which is loud and smooth over a drummer and could play a small auditorium
not a fan of the peavey for a chili peppers sound imo...just didnt give me that warm sound (it was a little muddy and dark for me)
Solid State look at the Valvetronix, otherwise look for like a 30w tube
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Nemjeff didn't want it to die.

Anyway, I have that exact same amp. Honestly, I wish I got a small tube combo instead. Its not a BAD amp. Sure, the distortion sucks ass when put any higher than 3, but the cleans are pretty good as long as you turn the treble WAY down. The only way to put it is decent, and you can get great for that kind of money.

But if you just want loud, that thing packs a hell of a punch. Anything higher than 3 from that monster will make you go deaf.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by chip46
For that money you could get a used Peavey Classic 30. Mine gets over drums very easily. I have a Frontman 15g, and if the bigger ones are anything like the smaller ones then you won't like it I think. 100w solid state doesn't sound too appealing either. Try one out, but I know I can't stand the sound of solid state amps when they are cranked, horrible sounding in most cases.

Also, this probably should belong in GG&A forum.

Yeh go for the peavey classic 30, mines awesome.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
a buddy of mine has that amp. it lacks presence, its just loud, and the distortion is terrible. I have a 15 watt Crate V15 class a Tube amp and its MUCH better sounding as the volume is increased. Hell, it probably is just as loud as the Fender and sounds MUCH better. And at half volume its easily over drums. If you're worried just ask if you can hook it up to the PA system. LARGER IS NOT BETTER!!