hokay, so i have a binding ordered from stewmac, and ive never put a binding on a guitar before, but heres my questions

1. when routing the the little channel on the outside of the guitar body, how do you make it the same uniform distance all the way around the body? like, how would you rout the binding channel 2mm along the edge of the body, and keep it 2mm all the way around? (2mm was a random measurement)

2. and to mold the binding to the curves of the guitar, i could use hot water to soften the plastic up (its a plastic binding)

wow i thought i had more questions
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
You use a bearing to keep it a uniform distance.

The binding should be soft already, like, bendable.. Just glue it on and tape it as you go. Lots of masking tape.

OtterEDIT:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Binding/Installing_binding/a-bindings.html

Here is a huge article about it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by Øttər
You use a bearing to keep it a uniform distance.

The binding should be soft already, like, bendable.. Just glue it on and tape it as you go. Lots of masking tape.

OtterEDIT:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Binding/Installing_binding/a-bindings.html

Here is a huge article about it.

**** i forgot about the bearing lol i should have a few of those somewhere. and why did you give me a link from stewmac? i thought you didnt like them lol
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
they just rip off people with their prices, that's all..
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Instead of a bearing you could use a block of wood setup to stop the bit however far in, that's what I do and it works fine, since you are going to be lucky to find a bearing that fits the binding decently without buying a bit made for it.

Use a hair dryer on the parts where the curve is tight enough to need help.

I've only done it once on a strat but will be doing a tele this weekend probably hopefully your not using super glue like I was last time, it's messy and is hard to get off the guitar later on plus I kept getting glued to the strat lol. It works though, I bought some of stewmac's weld on cement for this time.
Quote by 420 FREAK
Instead of a bearing you could use a block of wood setup to stop the bit however far in, that's what I do and it works fine, since you are going to be lucky to find a bearing that fits the binding decently without buying a bit made for it.

Use a hair dryer on the parts where the curve is tight enough to need help.

I've only done it once on a strat but will be doing a tele this weekend probably hopefully your not using super glue like I was last time, it's messy and is hard to get off the guitar later on plus I kept getting glued to the strat lol. It works though, I bought some of stewmac's weld on cement for this time.

yeah i got the cement too, but luckily for me, my dad has some router bits with bearings on them, because he redid a counter top for my aunt, and i read up on stewmac, that the best bits to use are the ones to trim a laminate
Quote by Øttər
Quote by reed12321
yeah i got the cement too, but luckily for me, my dad has some router bits with bearings on them, because he redid a counter top for my aunt, and i read up on stewmac, that the best bits to use are the ones to trim a laminate

Yeah, it's just getting a bearing that's the right size I have a lot of bearings for my router bits and my dad has some more and a rabbeting bit set at work (router bits with many different bearing sizes) but none of them would fit the binding close enough. If you can't find any you can do the block on a router base or router table and if you wanted I could take a pic or 2 to show how I have mine set up.
The weld on cement is great.. it actually melts the binding and softens it so that its easier to get onto the guitar. I really like that stuff. To route I just mix and match bearings off different router bits haha..
Quote by carousel182
The weld on cement is great.. it actually melts the binding and softens it so that its easier to get onto the guitar. I really like that stuff. To route I just mix and match bearings off different router bits haha..

That's good to hear I wasn't so sure how good it would work.
just make sure you use enough glue and tons of tape, don't be afraid to use a ton of tape.