been studying techniques of electric guitar for awhile now and just recently decided to backtrack to classical guitar

and while, I'm familiar with the concept OF tremolo picking, (usually with a pick) I haven't seen or heard much about it being done solely with fingers.

-- so out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone knew of any specific live performances, instructional videos or in-depth guides talking about it being done without the use of a pick. I searched all over youtube and expertvillage so I decided to come here,
i've seen tim reynolds shred trem without a pick it was pretty sweet. check out some live at luthor college with dave on youtube you might be able to cop something.
███████████████████████████████████
Most intermediate to advanced treatises on classical or flamenco technique cover tremolo.
These almost invariably incorporate bass acompaniment by line or arpeggio, but can easily be adapted to a single-line tremolo only by using thumb on same string as the chosen combination of fingers (i.e for melody line) or by omitting the thumb action all together.

Little else needs to be added.
OK, here some tips on pracising tremolo.
Assuming you have a decent classical hand position and can execute tirando stroke efficiently.

Standard technique: p,a,m,i repeated.
To start with choose a chord in first position and play the tremolo (a,m,i) on 1st string, arpeggiating the chord with the thumb on the other strings.

Play slowly with staccato. - i.e. after each of a, m, i and p immediately prepare the subsequent right hand finger (or thumb) on the string to be played (for a, m, i this means the 1st string) and damp the prior note. This trains secure location of each digit's attack. Play slowly - tack Damp...tack damp...tack Damp.. etc
Gradually increase speed using a metronome, MAINTAIN STACCATO ARTICULATION.
You will over days or weeks always reach a limit where you can not increase speed further without losing control, this is usually well below the speed tremolo is usually played, don't worry this is normal at this stage you are training security of execution, without which subsequent speed is impossible. At this limit the deliberate staccato articulation breaks down. More on this later. Always start each practice session at slow tempos.

Vary the accent, accent only the ring finger, or the middle, or combination of two fingers in each cycle etc. Vary it. Practice with no accent, practise with thumb loud and fingers quiet and vice versa. Play each variation for a decent period, say up to a minute. Listen carefully. Use these variations later in the training process too, that is, for normal articuation after staccato articulation has served its purpose.

Next practise the tremolo proceedure on 2nd string until clean accuaracy of attack is second nature

To move beyond the fundimental training requires abandoning staccato articulation. Don't do this until your attack is secure and extremely accuate (i.e. you never strike an incorrect string). Again play reasonably slowly but without staccato - Dack... dack ... dack . Bring it up in tempo and approach the limit you have already met. At this stage there is an element of "letting go" and "allowing it to happen" in terms of getting the action up to performance tempo. Don't try to control each finger as you had before with the staccato training. You don't need to as you have already done the neccessary groundwork. One strategy at this stage is to listen to the tempo as played by the thumb and not worry about the fingers inbetween the thumb strokes, let the fingers take care of themselves.

Don't rush the proceedure and it will work.
This is very abbreviated advice but I hope it helps.
Last edited by R.Christie at Jan 6, 2009,