So I'm a drummer, I've been playing for awhile and I'd like to think I'm pretty good. A couple months back my buddy asked me if I wanted to join his band at for our schools coffeehouse, and play some children of bodom and one of his original songs with him and his other guitarist. For whatever reason it is I said yes, I don't know if it was cause I thought it would only be the coffeehouse(I just found out last week it's a serious full time thing he wants), but I don't want to be in a metal band, don't get me wrong I enjoy metal, I'm jsut not hardcore into it, I can't spend hours on end listening to it, and my style is more punk/ pop-punk emo esque. So basically what do I do to tell him I don't want in anymore or do I jsut tough it out, should I wait till after coffeehouse(it's in february sometime) help is appreciated.
LEAFS FOR CUP
you should tell him that you will help him this one time but after it you think you might move on because it isn't your style
Metal guitars, with punk drumming?

That's something I've been playing with lately.

Though the difference isn't that vast, and Travis Barker is probably as good as John Dolmayan.
Quote by Josh Shiells
Metal guitars, with punk drumming?

That's something I've been playing with lately.

Though the difference isn't that vast, and Travis Barker is probably as good as John Dolmayan.

Well its less the drumming style, but like I Cant really be in a band where Im not capable of listening to the music day after day, hour after hour.
LEAFS FOR CUP
Do the gig. You said you would and hes your mate so help him out. Afterwards, if he's like 'you wanna drum for us' just be honest and be like 'dude i dont really think its my best option' or similar. Be straight with him.
Tell him that you're not interested in being in that kind of a band and that you just want to help with the coffeeshop. Telling him in February would be a dick move when he could have spent that time looking for another drummer.
Quote by darthbuttchin
Do the gig. You said you would and hes your mate so help him out. Afterwards, if he's like 'you wanna drum for us' just be honest and be like 'dude i dont really think its my best option' or similar. Be straight with him.

Alrighty,
LEAFS FOR CUP
If you get to the point where you're doing originals your style will undoubtedly flavour the sound, but if you're just going to do covers and somebody else is going to write the originals then there's no point playing music you don't enjoy.

Help him out, then get out. If nothing else it will help your reputation to show off that you do have some skills.