matters what you do, if you play in a jazz band with scores of music it would probably help. If you play metal and jam, no its not important.
If your a musician who plays more than guitar yes
You play classical pieces, yes probably.
rock guitar, and things like that, no not important.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Ill assume by sight reading, you mean reading music (sight reading only applys when your playing a sheet of music without having ever played it before)

If your just interested in learning some songs you like and playing with some buddies here and there, its probably not worth your time

If you want to take your music to anything beyond that, Id highly HIGHLY recommend it
^Agreed. If you dont want to make a livin off of music, then no it is not important.
If you want to be a musician then yes, you NEED to learn to read it.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
It's only worth learning if you want to learn it. If it serves no purpose to you and you don't want to actually learn it because it will be practical then don't. If you start doing stuff that will require it, you will want to learn how to do it out of necessity.
12 fret fury
The sooner you learn, the better. Sure, it won't help a lot with metal or punk, but audition for any band with a reader and you'll have a chance at least. I wish I'd been able to learn but opportunity never arose. I was too busy making a living selling stuff.
I have to disagree with some of the people in this thread. You can make a career out of music without having to sight read, unless you want to be a session musician. If you plan to be in a band, write your own stuff and make money off that, it isn't really necessary.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
I have to disagree with some of the people in this thread. You can make a career out of music without having to sight read, unless you want to be a session musician. If you plan to be in a band, write your own stuff and make money off that, it isn't really necessary.

Couldn't agree more. I know how to read. And the only time I ever use it, is when I'm teaching someone else how to do it.
But if you have a desire to learn to read, the Berklee series by William Leavitt are probably the best place to start.
There's my way and the wrong way.