I started on guitars about a week back, and i'm on acoustics. Like almost every newbie, i'm having a few of problems. I'd like some gurus to help me out, since i learn from the net and don't have a teacher. Thanks..

1)I'm having trouble with my index finger. It isn't able to press a string to the fret board for too long. Should I press harder, even if it pains?

2)I have broad fingers. While playing the A chord, my fingers seem all crowded and the result is just the muting of a nearby string. Any tips?

3)When i'm switching from chord to another quickly,(let's take an example of a song here), is it necessary for my finger placements to be perfect everytime? Or can there be a few mistakes here and there?

4)I came across a few techniques on the net and practiced them on my acoustic without getting the same sound. Are these tricks only meant for the electric?:
Hammering
Pulling
Sliding
Bending

I'm following www.morphis.com tutorials. Are they sufficient or should I do something more?

Thanks in advance!!
1. it just takes time. Keep playing and it will come.

2. Use 2 fingers to hold the 3 strings down.

3. After a while chords will become easy to play and you will figure about what works best for you. As long as it sounds good.

4. They are ment for all stringed instraments. Just keep playing.
1) at first your fingers are soft but after a while they'll harden, the more you play the faster they harden so yeah pressing even if it hurts can help but you don't have to.
2)If you push down hard enough, the fingers can be spread out between the first and second frets and it won't buzz against the fret. Just practice and you'll find what works, there's no real secret. ^^I don't know how you can use 2 fingers but if it works then do it, but try the proper way first, it took me hours or days or weeks to get some chords like F.
3)The fingers should be on the right frets and strings, but if one or two strings buzzes a bit, or its muted occasionally, its alright at least as long as your not doing professional work. Just practice and you can get it right every time and quickly.
4) Sliding can be done on acoustic, so can bending, hammering and pulling are better for electric. They're all mostly used in solos on electric though.

Don't just go to one site for tutorials get as much advice as you can.
Last edited by tom1thomas1 at Jan 4, 2009,
1: If you're talking about full bar chords, press harder, longer. Actually, if you are playing and its just hard to push the string down, yea press harder.

--One thing to note: if the action is high (distance from strings to fret board) It may need to be adjusted, but usually this is NOT the case.

2:
Well try staggering your fingers on the frets. You should try to place your fingers as close to the actual bar of the fret as you can, without placing your fingers on it. when playing whatever chord- [confused yet?]

place one finger as close as you can to one bar and the other finger- the other way. Hopefully this helps...

3: usually strings will be muted if they dont get pressed perfectly. So no -For example Full Bar chords (the major shape, using low E) the lowest 3 strings are the heart of the chord, the lower 3 are not really needed.

As always- you should strive to hit every note, PERFECTLY. The chords will sound much better when the notes are hit perfectly though...

just practice and you'll get it.

4: Hammering on / pulling off and sliding are important on the acoustic guitar. The only real trick that you can't really do on the acoustic guitar is bending. You can bend, but not nearly to the same extent that you can on acoustic guitars.

I dont know anything about that website- What i have students focus on -to start- is the Pentatonic scales. full bar chords. and a song- if somethings not clear or you want more info- just send me a msg
- to Make ourselves more than we are
1. You have to keep doing it, over time your fingers will build callous which will help you not feel the pain, the harder you push the quicker it will form.

3. I have this problem as well (mainly because i play metal and usually only powerchord is used) but im working on it, the only thing you can do is practice, practice moving between each chord slowly and increase the speed over time.

A good website for beginner guitar players (and im sure EVERYONE will agree with me on this) is http://www.justinguitar.com, he also gives tutorials on youtube so you might want to check him out.

EDIT:

4. you can play it on acoustic or electric, the only difference will be the sound i.e. hammer on/ pull offs wont sound too long
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Last edited by akm_202 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by FaNtEcH
1)I'm having trouble with my index finger. It isn't able to press a string to the fret board for too long. Should I press harder, even if it pains?
it depends on where the pain is.

if it's the flesh on the tip of your fingers, play though the pain.
if it's the joints or tendons, STOP before you cause damage.

and you don't necessarily have to press the string against the fretboard. as long as the string makes firm contact with the fret and you get a clear tone, that's good enough.

Quote by FaNtEcH
2)I have broad fingers. While playing the A chord, my fingers seem all crowded and the result is just the muting of a nearby string. Any tips?
this A?

e ----0
B ----2
G ----2
D ----2
A ----0
E ----0

fingering code:
i = index
m = middle
r = ring
p - pinkie

use this fingering:

e ----
B ----r
G ----i
D ----m
A ----
E ----

OR this one:

e ----
B ----p
G ----m
D ----r
A ----
E ----

the two fingers holding down the D and B strings should be as close as possible to the 2nd fret. the finger holding down the G string will be tucked in behind them.

i prefer the second fingering, as it is good practice for making Maj7 barre chords, later.

Quote by FaNtEcH
3)When i'm switching from chord to another quickly,(let's take an example of a song here), is it necessary for my finger placements to be perfect everytime? Or can there be a few mistakes here and there?
it depends on which notes of which chords. some notes missing from a chord will just sound odd. others you won't miss at all.

Quote by FaNtEcH
4)I came across a few techniques on the net and practiced them on my acoustic without getting the same sound. Are these tricks only meant for the electric?:
Hammering
Pulling
Sliding
Bending
they apply to all guitars, electric and acoustic.
you'll find them used less often on an acoustic, but they are still valuable techniques, not tricks.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks to everyone...
One thing that i've heard everywhere is practice... I guess thats what im gonna do!

And coming to the hammer and pulls, thats what i meant, the sound isnt long enough in an acoustic...
Quote by FaNtEcH
Thanks to everyone...
One thing that i've heard everywhere is practice... I guess thats what im gonna do!

And coming to the hammer and pulls, thats what i meant, the sound isnt long enough in an acoustic...

yeah thats normal, because the acoustic is natural sound whereas the electric is through an amp.

but you should still learn it because it makes an amazing melody if used properly
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
The hammer/pulls work better with electric guitar yea-

But for me, they Still sound great in the middle of soloing riffs
- to Make ourselves more than we are