Hey UG. Recently I bought Hal-Leonard Guitar Complete Edition and Bass Complete Edition, I understand that these are teacher-student books, but I think i'm capable of handling it. I get on pretty easy with the books, but one problem is, with sight reading, I can do it, but for me to solidly get a 12-bar song down, it takes half an hour at best and thats at about 80 bpm. What I'm asking is there a simple way to learn songs and faster while still using notation? Is it fair for me to write the note names above the staff? Or is that the 'cheater' way out? Does it help or will it only become a learning crutch for me that i'll always have to use? Would re-writing the song on a blank staff improve my ability to sight read? Any experienced musicians tell me how you got along with reading music. Thanks!!
I think it's alright to right the note name above it, if you just want to get familiar with adapting notation to your guitar, but if you want to get good at sight reading, try not to. Just work at it and you'll get it down.

Just don't use number notation at all. (i.e. Tab.)
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Last edited by Rickjames730 at Jan 4, 2009,
I would advise against writing note names above the staff, it will eventually become a hassle as you get to more difficult/complex music....also, as with most things, the more you sight read, the easier it will become. It's a bitch though, I've been playing instruments/reading music for 9 years or so, and I still have some troubles with it.
Nerve threads decoding the stream of the reality-inverting revolution
The patterned untruth of non-dream:
The closed-eye
visual delusion.
The Hal Leonard books do a good job of teaching notation. Don't worry about your BPM speed for now, it's more important to consentrate on accuracy. It's also good to learn how to sight read tab the same time you are learning notation.