is it possible (good) to use redgum or jarrah as a body or neck for a guitar?
just wondering....
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

Red gum is a hard wood, so it might work, but it can be screwed over by climate changes
Jarrah is hard as **** ill be using it for stringers in my neck through fretless 5 string build that im planning for DT
I am me. Live with it.
i live in australia, so it would be real easy for me to get some redgum, and wouldnt need to change climate

i also have a lot of planks of jarrah about 2cm thick x 10 cm wide x whatever long (pretty friggen long)

would i be able to maybe glue those jarrah bits together for a body, or maybe as a top?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Jarrah is hard as **** ill be using it for stringers in my neck through fretless 5 string build that im planning for DT

stringers? DT?
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

well, if you do it it will be win, since both are gorgeous woods.

Maybe get some bits of redgum, and then use the jarrah as laminates?
does laminates mean the bits on top/bottom

(n00b)
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

Quote by LP Addict
jarrah is sexy, difficult to keep straight i hear.

ive never had any problems with keeping it straight. ive only ever used it as a neck laminate in guitars, but ive used it for plenty of other stuff and its always stayed straight as a die
Quote by The_Kelaninator
does laminates mean the bits on top/bottom

(n00b)

I'm anxious to know this also, lol.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
yes, but they can also be like this:

Lamiante tops are the fancy quilted/flamed/figured deals you see, but lamiantes can also be like the strips of blood wood in that body
Last edited by telemetal at Jan 4, 2009,
^^ is that to answering the laminate question?
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
yea, and if you want to know more, i'd suggest talking to LP addict, he's the one who built the guitar in the pic i stole
do those strips go all the way through the wood, and theres 5 different pieces, or is it like an inlay??
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

its 5 pieces of wood, which is what makes it awesome.

Here's the thread about the pic i posted, if you're intersted.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=965884&page=1&pp=40
just dont bump it, if you have a question, PM LP Addict
would you be able to do that with more pieces?
would it be strong enough
like with 3-4 bits of the bloodwood

and i just read that thread

*drools* that guitar looks amazing
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

Laminates in guitar generally mean peices of wood glued side by side (they go through the entire guitar, not just an inlay)

you can use as many as you want, and a laminate neck is actually stronger than a 1 peice.

not to be confused with a 'skunk stripe' on fender necks, which is used to cover up a rear routed truss rod slot, and does not go through the entire neck, nor does it extend the entire length.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Jan 4, 2009,
Jarrah works semi successfully as an acoustic timber. IE: Acoustic guitars* and especially mandolins. Its great for harps. But, as a solid body guitar it is essentially useless. It is too heavy (just a jarrah strat body on its own, would weigh as much as the heaviest les paul guitar), and the reasonant pitch of the timber is not helpful for sustain.

*you would need to have vast experience with timbers and acoustic building to make jarrah work.

Im sure somewhere out there someone has built one guitar and thinks its awesome. No guitar ive ever seen or heard that was built from Jarrah was any good though (ive got one in my workshop right now, and had another only two weeks ago).

Jarrah comes from my own backyard (it is native to my state) and I live 15 minutes from a jarrah forrest... my uncle even processes fallen reclaimed Jarrah trees and burls larger enough to make 12 seater tables, but i would never ever ever use it for necks or bodies. I would maybe, maybe MAYBE consider it as a ultra thin top on a chambered body, but never for a neck or body on its own.

Fretboards will work, as their contribution to tone and sustain is tiny.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
Jarrah works semi successfully as an acoustic timber. IE: Acoustic guitars* and especially mandolins. Its great for harps. But, as a solid body guitar it is essentially useless. It is too heavy (just a jarrah strat body on its own, would weigh as much as the heaviest les paul guitar), and the reasonant pitch of the timber is not helpful for sustain.

*you would need to have vast experience with timbers and acoustic building to make jarrah work.

Im sure somewhere out there someone has built one guitar and thinks its awesome. No guitar ive ever seen or heard that was built from Jarrah was any good though (ive got one in my workshop right now, and had another only two weeks ago).

Jarrah comes from my own backyard (it is native to my state) and I live 15 minutes from a jarrah forrest... my uncle even processes fallen reclaimed Jarrah trees and burls larger enough to make 12 seater tables, but i would never ever ever use it for necks or bodies. I would maybe, maybe MAYBE consider it as a ultra thin top on a chambered body, but never for a neck or body on its own.

Fretboards will work, as their contribution to tone and sustain is tiny.

thanks, that is really helpful!
so i could use it as a laminate?
and if so, how many pieces could i do it in? like could i do 3 pieces of jarrah and 4 of whatever othr wood?

and how about redgum?
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

Ive not seen red gum used, but it has zero properties I would find useful. Maybe it would go against everything I know, and be an awesome timber. I doubt it though.

You can use Jarrah as a laminate if you want.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
yeah
that natural gutiar that LP Addict did looked really awesome, maybe ill do something like that

ill try and find a saw mill around some place...
is there any woods you would recommend to go with the jarrah?
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

Quote by R.Christie
A guitar body of jarah would weigh a ton.
Would possibly require chambering

thats the first thing i thought, weight
a guy i know made golf clubs from jarrah, lets just say it takes momentum to swing em
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.