Hey, At the moment I dont really need specific suggestions on what to buy but I have a spider 3 and i'm not too happy with it once its turned up. (yeah i kno.. a spider 3) But any way im looking to buy a new amp around $1000 and I want to know what size I would need and what type. The amp will be used for band practice once to twice a week as well as gigs. I definitely want a tube amp but what do I need. Half stack, combo? I practice at my friends house and we play in his basement. So it needs to be able to be carried up and down his stairs and brought to gigs. Would this be difficult with a half stack?

Style of music I play is metal/metalcore bands such as Killswitch Engage and All That Remains. There are a lot of double bass in this music as well as "blast beats" so the drummer is pretty loud.

Thanks..
Last edited by ATRKSE92 at Jan 4, 2009,
ether or really i would bet a stack but that the metal head in me ^^ and the b53 at 100 if great in your price range
About a year ago i purchased the spider 3 120 watt so I'm not sure if i feel right buying another combo amp. I feel like a stack would be good but how hard is this going to be to lug around?
You brought a horrible combo thats why you dont feel right about others, those combos i showed you are a great.. a halfstack is a bitch to carry around.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
You could get a used tube head with a 212 cab.

Some people think its easier to transport but that's their opinion.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I see MF have an AC50 at your price. Having used a 150w head and Goliath cab, I'd say get a combo or get a roadie. First time you have to get a big cab up a spiral staircase in the rain, you'll thank me.
Im so sick of people saying combo's are easier to transport.

Think about it, you can make one trip to the car/gig/etc with a 100lb+ combo, or you can make two trips with a head and 212 cab, both weighing about half the combo on their own, depending on what you get.

Also, like me, if you decide you dont like your head, you can just sell it and snag a different head, and use the same cab, instead of selling the whole combo.

Just some food for thought!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65

Think about it, you can make one trip to the car/gig/etc with a 100lb+ combo, or you can make two trips with a head and 212 cab, both weighing about half the combo on their own, depending on what you get.

Also, like me, if you decide you dont like your head, you can just sell it and snag a different head, and use the same cab, instead of selling the whole combo.

This is a valid point.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
A head and a 4x12 cab would be harder to transport than a cab, but a head and a 1x12 or 2x12 would be easier.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I would get a combo. I don't really see the need for stacks IMO. My combo is definately easier to carry than a cab alone.
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
So, would it be good to buy a head and a 2x12 cab and when I want to upgrade, just buy a 4x12 cab? and how big is a 2x12 cab?
For metal i used to use a JCM 800 with a flat down mesa cab, they might come into your price range used, if not both, the jcm 800 head was really good imo. And really, i do think TS should be looking at a half stack, as the 4x12 is really gunna give alot of punch and tight low end to his sound, especially if your drummer triggers.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by dcdossett65

^This. OMG THIS. My JSX and 6505 combos are so heavy I wish I could have just gotten the head versions.
Bugera 6262 stack, half stack for $800, full stack is $1050
____________My Gear:___________

Bad SX starter kit Guitar
Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250
Bugera 333xl 212 Fund $0/$880

Finally got myspace, go check it out ---> www.myspace.com/ianbearmusic
Quote by frets15
Bugera 6262 stack, half stack for $800, full stack is $1050

Nay, 6262 with a Mesa Recto 2x12.

Thats the most logical. Or a Vader 2x12.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
A good head an 2 2x12s is the way to go (2 isnt really needed, but pushes alot more air than 1). I find 2x12 combos to be pretty heavy.