Ok I was going to post a goddam big thread, but everytime I do, I never get any replies... Maybe because it bores ppl =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIrwCTXPTdc

I really looove the feelings in the video, not really the shredding but just the FEEL.

Now I really need help... I've been playing guitar for almost a year now (maybe you think that it's too early for me to play that kind of stuff but I really want) and I know a big bunch of theory, but I don't know how to "play" rock fusion.

The way this guy modulates in that video is awesome.... and the chord progression sounds amazing!

So the real question is.... how can I sound "rock fusion"? How should I build my chord progressions??? What should I do when playing over that kind of chord progression?? (I'm not asking for phrasing but more like... should I use like, to add emotion, a scale that is outside of the key, just like that??? Cause that guy in that vid really sounds like that)

Help! I'm just don't have enough knowledge on that stuff...

fast edit: I really want to know how that guy in the vid can make hiself sound very colorfull over a chord progression! Like, he plays some stuff then, it jumps on another feeling! That's why I'm asking about modulation, I like the change of colors in his playing!
Last edited by kevC4 at Jan 4, 2009,
one year is waaaaay waaaay too early to be playing that. or musically understanding stuff like that for that matter.
Quote by EddieCraig
one year is waaaaay waaaay too early to be playing that. or musically understanding stuff like that for that matter.

I knew people would say that but believe me, I know a bunch of theory, I just have difficulties aplying it to the style I want!

Well in fact, I am really really interested on knowing how can that guy in that vid sound so colorfull, really!
Well, you should look at some fusion solos, and see what kind of theoretical/compositional aspects are involved.

Study the progression. Is it modal? What kind of scales are being used over it? etc.

Also, phrasing is very important to any genre. Study phrasing. Improvisation takes practice just like anything else.
Quote by kevC4
I knew people would say that but believe me, I know a bunch of theory, I just have difficulties aplying it to the style I want!

Well in fact, I am really really interested on knowing how can that guy in that vid sound so colorfull, really!

half of theory is being able to apply it to guitar. otherwise its completely worthless.
so in a nutshell, if you want to be able to play like that, slowly start learning the picking method in the video, study up on your scales, and practice modulating (it becomes insane once these people are modulating every chord change). also practice to a metronome and make it faster and faster until you reach speed like that, while hybrid picking
Quote by one vision
Well, you should look at some fusion solos, and see what kind of theoretical/compositional aspects are involved.

Study the progression. Is it modal? What kind of scales are being used over it? etc.

Also, phrasing is very important to any genre. Study phrasing. Improvisation takes practice just like anything else.

Well yeah, I was actually waiting to a post like that to talk about it! I didn't want to bump my thread just like that!

It really looks like the feeling is based on the chord progression, it changes a lot! Maybe throughout the progressions, the mode changes a lot , even maybe the scale so rythm n lead guitar modulates and it creates those "colors"!

I improvise a lot also. And yeah, I have to think about something : with it, I will be able to find how to create those "colors", wich I prefer, and etc. I actualy am trying to focus myself on modes to be able to control more the feeling in my playing.

edit:
Quote by EddieCraig
half of theory is being able to apply it to guitar. otherwise its completely worthless.
so in a nutshell, if you want to be able to play like that, slowly start learning the picking method in the video, study up on your scales, and practice modulating (it becomes insane once these people are modulating every chord change). also practice to a metronome and make it faster and faster until you reach speed like that, while hybrid picking

I don't know what the hell happened to my edit, but this paragraph disapeared! anyway;

Well I'm not really interested by the hybrid technique , more by the style of the music in the vid. And yeah, I'm actualy focusing on modes so I can learn how to control colors and feelings in my playing. Also, I always play with a metronom or drum beat :P

So yeah, thanks for helping guys but I still need help figuring out on what modulation techniques I should use and things like that. What I am planning to do is do chord progressions on guitar pro and play over then make it modulate and etc... I need some sleep now....
Last edited by kevC4 at Jan 4, 2009,
Yes, you're right. Rhythm also has an effect on the mood of the music.

Rhythm, melody, and harmony are the three components of music.

The harmony also plays an important role. For example, take the blues scale. You can play it over several types of progressions, it's very versatile.

If you play a C blues scale over a C7 - F7 - G7 progression, it'll sound more or less happy.
If you play the same C blues scale over a Cm - Fm - G7, it'll most likely sound sad, due to the progression.

So yeah.

Yeah.

Out of curiosity, how much theory do you know? I think that if you have a good grasp on modes, and maybe some chord substitutions you're good to create that kind of music, more or less. You should also read up on jazz harmony.
The best way to view that solo is a bunch of modal chord progression thrown together tru modulation. I can hear phrygian, Mixolydian, Lydian, Phrygian dominant and melodic minor at least. Will have to listen a few more times to know what other stuff he plays.

Learn my "how to build modal chord progressions" (link in sig) to understand how to outline chords, then tie those kind of progression together.

You can also learn Jazz theory, and your technique needs to be very diverse with different melodic patterns.

You'll also need a 100% knowledge of ur fretboard.

I'm not trying to scare u, or sound smart, but it is true. It's really the "musician's music", and I can say this music WILL get better the more theory you know and the more ur ears open up.

Like I Said, a good place to start is to view my lesson on modal chord progressions to isolate every separate passage. The theory in that lesson (how to use characteristic notes to make progressions) also applies for the modes of melodic minor and harmonic minor.

If However you feel advanced or pick that stuff fast up; I made a mode chart for every scale/mode that every (Decent)l fusion artist probably knows. Don't take the formula's and just learn the notes. Understand the relationship of the intervals

Ionian (Major) : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 - Major7th
Dorian : 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7 - Minor7th (M6)
Phrygian : 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7 - Minor7th
Lydian : 1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7 - Major7th (#11)
Mixolydian : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7 - Dominant7th
Aeolian (Minor) : 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7 - Minor7th (m6)
Locrian : 1, b2, b3, 4, b5, b6, b7 - Half Dim. (m7b5)

Harmonic Minor : 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, 7 - Min/Maj7th (b6)
Locrian Natural 6th : 1, b2, b3, 4, b5, 6, b7 - Half Dim. (m7b5)
Ionian Augmented : 1, 2, 3, 4, #5, 6, 7 - Major7th (#5)
Dorian #4 : 1, 2, b3, #4, 5, 6,b7 - Minor7th (#11)
Phrygian Dominant : 1, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7 - Dominant (b7, b9, b13)
Lydian #2 : 1, #2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7 - Major7th (#9, #11)
Ultralocrian : 1, b2, b3, b4, 5, b6, bb7 - Diminished7th

Melodic Minor : 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, 7 - Min/Maj7th
Dorian b2 : 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7 - Minor (b9sus4)
Lydian #5 : 1, 2, 3, #4, #5, 6, 7 - Major7th (#5)
Lydian Dominant : 1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, b7 - Dominant (b7#11)
Mixolydian b6 : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7 - Dominant (b7b13)
Aeolian b5 : 1, 2, b3, 4, b5, b6, b7 - Half Dim. (m7b5)
Altered : 1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, b7 - Dominant (Altered)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 4, 2009,