So i've been in my band for a good 3 years and and we started gigging just this year....we've played the whisky a go go in Hollywood 3 times now and our last performance was not too long ago..I'll be posting a vid further down

a bit hard to explain but i'll try my best...i practice ALOT and i especially practice our songs before shows and stuff until i am comfortable with everything we are going to play....and it's very easy to play the riffs at band practice and stuff like that..now..when we get to the show..CERTAIN** songs my muscles stiffen up..and have a hard time playing them for some odd reason..let me make it clear that i have absolutely no stage fright and at sometimes overly excited..that's just the way i am...however..one of our songs that have a straight 16th note pattern..i am still able to play but for some reason the muscles in my arm stiffen up and make it al the harder to get by...

i'm not sure what it is...it's not a HUGE problem because i can still get the riffs out but it is a hassle..i am guessing it might go away the more shows we do but then again it can be something else....

even though this isn't necesarily one of those *certain* songs that this happens to me..here is the intro/original performed december 14th at the go go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKr917njlCw&feature=channel_page

thanks for any help and critique would be nice too

bass forum ftw
I do that too. I've begun doing it less over time, but it's still there. I can play "Iron Maiden's - The Trooper" like 10 times through at home and my hand isn't tired. Then if we do it live It starts to hurt a bit after about half of the song. It's seems to be getting better. It helps if I drink like one beer or whatever. helps me relax. Too much hurts your ability to play of course but I think one relaxes your nerves a bit. Do I suggest you drink before shows? Not if you're not used to it. Just do something that normally helps you mellow out a lot before your shows.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Same thing happens to me at pretty much every show.

I think its the fact that I get over-excited that causes this. I get so excited that I grip my bass tighter and overexert myself in many ways.

Sometimes being excited can cause as many problems as being nervous.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Thats kinda weird. Maybe its just cuz your excited and you unconciously tense up while your playing. You gotta look good while your playing so maybe your live stance is whats doing it. Btw, thats f*cking sweet how your band rocked the whisky. Im jealous.
Yea, its just the adrenaline tensing you up more than usual. you'll get used to it, also playing while performing is alot different from practising it.

as you know.

but, you'll get used to it. treat each performance as a practise for the next one to make that better

Diggin the Tunes! keep it up!!!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
You do eventually start to get used to it- as has been said, practicing a song is not the same as performing a song. The more you gig, the more you fit into it- first gigs can certainly feel awkward, static and stiff. You will loosen up once you get into the swing of things proper.

What I find helps is to have a large enough band room to move around in, and kinda treat it as much of a stage as is possible.
Do you normally practice standing up? The difference between standing and sitting is quite big, so it might be that you just arent that used to it.

Great song by the way
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Sorry but all I could think of when I heard the intro was this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQyib5ZQZY&feature=PlayList&p=784E8C5BC457AECF&index=0&playnext=1

Good song though.

The only thing I can suggest about your muscles being stiff is just to practice it standing up untill you go stiff then wait a bit then do it again and repeat it. Thats what I do for stuff like that.
could be to do with stamina maybe? like, getting tired half way through the set? although, I take it if you're playing the whiskey a go go you're probably a more seasoned player than me defo so this probably isn't an issue.
Playing live is naturally going to tire you out faster than playing at home. Because you're moving around, interacting with the audience, jumping around, whatever, you are worrying about that instead of playing perfectly relaxed and with perfect posture. The best you can do is relax, practice like you would play live, getting into it and all. That, and practice playing with perfect technique while getting into it.
You'll get used to it. It takes practice to play live without becoming tired. Just relax. I find roaming the stage while playing helps me a lot.
DB Player
Quote by Revelation
I do that too. I've begun doing it less over time, but it's still there. I can play "Iron Maiden's - The Trooper" like 10 times through at home and my hand isn't tired. Then if we do it live It starts to hurt a bit after about half of the song. It's seems to be getting better. It helps if I drink like one beer or whatever. helps me relax. Too much hurts your ability to play of course but I think one relaxes your nerves a bit. Do I suggest you drink before shows? Not if you're not used to it. Just do something that normally helps you mellow out a lot before your shows.

To be predictable:

FAP LULZ!!!

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

yeah that all makes sense..except for the fap one..i tried it didn't work....

yes i usually do practice standing up and i would say i have good endurance....next show ill be sure to try to relax..that's probably it