Or any kind of chords for that matter. Well alt strumming chords that use all 6 strings is easier, but when it comes to power chords in a rhythm with more than eighth notes, my pick starts to get caught up in strings, my finger trying to hold, resulting in muted strings and I fail .

I started to turn my pick a little diagonal to the string, but constant strums sound like loud fast mutters of a dog or something, not even separated.

I started to notice in lots of youtube videos of people playing guitar, that people put the pick like... cupping it on the palm of their hand on the edge to their wrist, or in between two of their fingers, for alt strumming power chords and single strings, to perhaps keep it from popping out of place vertical to get hung up on other strings to move fast. Is that the common way that it is done now? Did I not get the memo? Sorry if I described this too visually and methodically as if this was rocket science.
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Your picking style depends on what is more comfortable to you. DON'T use somebody's picking style (i.e your fav. musician) just because they do it that way. Oh, a good tip would be sure to loosen up your wrist and your grip. You might also be picking too close to the strings. You should pick where it just barely touches the strings. Here's a test. Pluck one string the way you normally do, and if you get a really tough and twangy sound, then you are picking to hard and is most likely caused by digging your pick to far in the strings. When I was a beginner I made this mistake all the time. I thought that if you grip tighter and dig in more, then it would sound heavier. In reality, it just sounds like crap.
If it's blue, then it MUST smell good.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Oh, just re-read your post again. Just thought I would remind you that picking is in the wrist and somewhat in the fingers. NOT THE ARMS. I'm not sure if that is the way you were doing it, but just thought I'd give you some advice.
If it's blue, then it MUST smell good.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")