Hi all,

I recently ordered my new Atomic Reactor amp. I have to wait until February/March for it to arrive, though... But in the meantime, I was thinking and now I have a question.

I recorded a few songs going direct from my Boss GT-8 into my Edirol UA-1EX, a cheap USB audio interface. But now that I'm getting the Reactor, which is going to improve on the tone quality, I thought it would be better if I miked the amp for recording.

Now, my question is... What would be the best mic for me? I know the Shure SM57 is the number one choice for instrument miking, but is it really worth getting one if I'm going to plug it into my cheap Edirol? Are there any other good options?

Cheers!
ZeG
Maybe you should also buy a new interface, because even if you buy a SM57, I don't think the quality would be that great with you interface. There are decent interfaces for not that many money. What's your budget?
Well, I have a Toneport GX, it was only €60 and you can turn of any amp modeling so you just get the input sound. If you buy a XLR to 6.3mm plug cable, you can plug a mic in it too so you can record you mic'd amp.

I don't know really much about mics so don't ask me on that.
Well I use a cheap USB interface. I dunno how much it was when it was still in production, but it set me back about £125 used a few years after it went out of production.
It's simple, cheap, not the cleanest sounding, but it doesn't matter.

I make great recordings with pretty much just an SM57 and some plugins.
You don't need much more than that. Recording guitar with any more than an SM57 and a cheapy interface becomes a matter of taste and stylistic touches (multiple mics, preamps colouring the sound.)

Good recording technique will make up for average equipment. An SM57 micing up a good cab with a good amp going into it will sound good. Simple as.
The SM57 is the guitar amp mic of choice FOR A REASON.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Maybe you should also buy a new interface, because even if you buy a SM57, I don't think the quality would be that great with you interface. There are decent interfaces for not that many money. What's your budget?

I'm willing to spend something up to 50-100€ on the mic.
I don't think I'm going to buy a new interface, though... That's why I asked if there are cheaper alternatives to the SM57, because I already figured that getting a SM57 would be kinda pointless with my current interface.

If I did get another interface someday, though, what do you suggest?

Quote by Dream Pin
Well I use a cheap USB interface. I dunno how much it was when it was still in production, but it set me back about £125 used a few years after it went out of production.
It's simple, cheap, not the cleanest sounding, but it doesn't matter.

I make great recordings with pretty much just an SM57 and some plugins.
You don't need much more than that. Recording guitar with any more than an SM57 and a cheapy interface becomes a matter of taste and stylistic touches (multiple mics, preamps colouring the sound.)

May I ask what interface you use? And what plugins are you talking about exactly? Just interested...

Quote by Dream Pin
Good recording technique will make up for average equipment. An SM57 micing up a good cab with a good amp going into it will sound good. Simple as.
The SM57 is the guitar amp mic of choice FOR A REASON.

Again, just out of interest, some pointers for "good recording technique"?
Also, the only piece of equipment that I would call "average" in my new rig would be the cheap interface. My Tele isn't exactly a low-end guitar, I have some very nice settings in my GT, the Atomic is a great amp, and if I got a SM57 the mic wouldn't exactly be a problem either... Only, the weakest link in the signal chain will ultimately define the tone, so that's why I was asking if the Edirol wouldn't ruin the quality of the rest of my gear.

EDIT: Woops, I accidentally deleted the wrong post...
Last edited by ZeGuitarist at Jan 4, 2009,
Eh even if your interface isn't that great I would still recommend a SM-57.

I don't know much in the way of techniques but the angle that you position your mic can alter the tone quite a bit. Can give it more treble like sound if positioned a certain way etc.

Look on the internet. It should have a few ideas.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by ZeGuitarist
I'm willing to spend something up to 50-100€ on the mic.
I don't think I'm going to buy a new interface, though... That's why I asked if there are cheaper alternatives to the SM57, because I already figured that getting a SM57 would be kinda pointless with my current interface.

If I did get another interface someday, though, what do you suggest?

May I ask what interface you use? And what plugins are you talking about exactly? Just interested...

Again, just out of interest, some pointers for "good recording technique"?
Also, the only piece of equipment that I would call "average" in my new rig would be the cheap interface. My Tele isn't exactly a low-end guitar, I have some very nice settings in my GT, the Atomic is a great amp, and if I got a SM57 the mic wouldn't exactly be a problem either... Only, the weakest link in the signal chain will ultimately define the tone, so that's why I was asking if the Edirol wouldn't ruin the quality of the rest of my gear.

Okay. Plugins.

For like my recordings as a whole. There's many a plugin being used.
I use Addictive Drums for all the drums. Then I use Wavearts plugins for EQ, compression, reverb, gating, multi-band compression, limiting, etc.
Peavey Revalver mkIII, Wagner Sharp for guitars and bass occaisionally.
A bunch of other stuff.
But that's for mixing stuff to get a professional sound.
So for simple recordings, demos and stuff you won't need much of that at all.
Just a decent EQ and compression for drums and vocals (never compress distorted guitars! :no

Good recording technique is just proper mic placement.
SM57 about an inch away from the cab, start where the dust cap meets the cone, and if that's too ice-picky and fizzy, move it out into the cone a bit more, and if that's too dull, turn the high end up on the amp. You should be pretty much there.
Then when you're setting levels, aim for -3db on the peaks. Like when you really dig in HARD. You'll have a lower average level than -3db, but dig in hard to check the peaks.
That'll be it really. It sounds easy, but it'll take some work refining your micing. But that's like the GIST of it.

Also, my interface is a Yamaha UW500.
The reason it doesn't sound bad is because all a preamp does is make **** louder. That's it. It AMPLIFIES the sound. It's just volume, if you wanna be ultimately simplistic about it.
The transformer inside the interface can dull the sound down a little bit, but its nothing you'd notice, and nothing that will affect the sound to a noticeable degree.

You'll be fine with the edirol and good technique.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=601208&songID=6699185

I did this song with ONE microphone. And that's my trusty SM57.
SM57 on a Framus cab with a 5150 going into it.
Vocals are SM57.
Drums are all XLN Audio Addictive Drums
Bass is guitar pitch shifted down an octave and ran through Peavey Revalver mkIII.
After that it's all Wavearts EQ and compression.

You don't need much to make amazing recordings. Just time, effort and practice.
Thanks for the in-depth explanation, man!

I will look into the plugins, but up to now I haven't had much need for plugins. I do most of the EQing on the GT... And yes, I'll just have to experiment with mic placement then!

I think I'll just save up for the SM57 then, it will be worth it... Thanks!
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Thanks for the in-depth explanation, man!

I will look into the plugins, but up to now I haven't had much need for plugins. I do most of the EQing on the GT... And yes, I'll just have to experiment with mic placement then!

I think I'll just save up for the SM57 then, it will be worth it... Thanks!

Awesome, I've added you on MSN, so accept and I can help you out every step of the way.
IMPORTANT: Would the Shure SM57 work with the mic input on my Edirol interface?

This pic supplies some info, but I don't know enough about it to make out if it would work or not...

Also, what cables/jacks/adapters would I need?

EDIT: The SM57 isn't a phantom powered mic... So I would just need a cable to plug it into the line input jacks, right? What cable should that be?
Last edited by ZeGuitarist at Jan 5, 2009,
'You must use a monaural microphone designed for plug-in power'

Might be some compatibility issues there but I can't be sure. What size is the input jack (3)? You may just need a 1/4 - 1/8 adapter.
RULE BRITANNIA
The mic input jack is a 1/8" mini-jack female... But as far as I know, this is a phantom powered input, which I can't use with the Shure SM57. Does that mean I just use the line input, which is a cinch female? Also, what jack does the mic itself have? I believe it's an XLR female... So basically, I use a XLR male to cinch male cable?

I'm just guessing here... Am I correct?
I don't have any experience with the SM57 sadly (My mic sucks )
Infact, my whole recording process is very primal, I should really sort that out
RULE BRITANNIA
The SM57 indeed has a XLR female, so you'd need XLR female to cinche male, but I don't know if they exist. If they don't exist, you can buy a XLR femal to Cinche female adapter and buy a cinche-cinche cable.

But you need stereo cinch, don't know if that works with a mic..
Quote by WtrPlyr
The SM57 indeed has a XLR female, so you'd need XLR female to cinche male, but I don't know if they exist. If they don't exist, you can buy a XLR femal to Cinche female adapter and buy a cinche-cinche cable.

But you need stereo cinch, don't know if that works with a mic..

I can plug in only one of the 2 cinch cables, that worked fine when I plugged in my brother's keyboard for recording.

What I was wondering about, though, is the fact that the SM57 needs a preamp in order to be usable for recording. Will the UA-1EX serve as a preamp if I plug the mic in through the line input, using a XLR to cinch cable? (If I find the right adapters...)