So, I have enough money to buy a decent amp to finally replace my cheap Peavey Bandit 112 practice amp that I've had for about 5-6 years now. The amp has done been sufficient enough for bedroom playing and has seen my needs for my learning so far, but it just doesn't do my latest guitar purchase (a PRS Custom 24) justice. Not to mention it's not loud enough to be heard over a drum kit, and I've always had to borrow other people's amps for gigs over the last 7 or 8 years.

For a cheap amp, I quite like the tone I've managed to produce through the Peavey Bandit, as it has enough distortion for shred, and the cleans are good for the price of the thing. But now I really want to improve my tone and own my own equipment for gigs.

I haven't tried out a huge amount of high-end amps, but the nicest tone I've ever heard was my PRS through my friend's Orange Rockerverb 100 with the Orange 4x12 cab. The lead tone was absolutely fantastic, and it has enough gain for the heaviest stuff I play (stoner metal) and shred. The only problem with this is that the amp is huge and heavy as hell, and I don't own a car to transport such a thing around. Also, it's pretty expensive.

Basically, I need an amp with enough distortion for shredding, and damn nice cleans too. I'm tempted to just buy a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe just for the nice cleans and awesome classic rock distortion, and just practice shred on my old Peavey for now until I can afford an Orange or something. I saw some videos on Youtube of a Laney VH100R with blistering lead tones and nice cleans, so that's also another possibility.

Anway, suggestions? All help is appreciated very much, cheers.

-EDIT- Sorry forgot the budget.
I'm gonna say about £1000 for me personally to spend.
My parents said they'd buy me an amp for gigs or whatever for my Birthday/Christmas that's just gone when I decide on one, and I'm guessing they'd be willing to spend around £500-600 at most, so I can get them to get me a cab or something, and I'd buy the head with my own money, if I really wanted to get the Orange now. Or I could maybe just get them to get me a Fender HRD and wait a few months before getting the Orange too when I have enough.
Last edited by Steve The Plank at Jan 4, 2009,
If you're looking at a Hot Rod Deluxe I assume we're talking a budget of about £500 yet you also mention a Laney that is £600 for the head alone! Could you clarify the budget please?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I've though a lot about this and I'm not sure what to suggest. You have the money for a great head and cabinet but I keep coming back to your comment 'The only problem with this is that the amp is huge and heavy as hell, and I don't own a car to transport such a thing around.' Based on that, I'd be tempted to go for a combo instead as it's more practical and you could save some money to go towards a car. You don't really need a seperate head and 4X12 to gig with as a good combo will do fine and if you're in a bigger venue you'll be micing the amp anyway. Based on that, here's some amps I'd consider if Im were you:

Engl Screamer - £899
Excellent amp with plenty volume, gain and tone.

Marshall TSL602 - £876
Another good amp that's portable and has two speakers to push that bit extra air.

Orange RK50C Rockerverb - £1235
OK, it's spending a lot of your budget but as you seem to like the Orange tone a lot, this seems to me to be a sensible alternative to the one you were originally looking at.

Given everything you've said, I think any of these would offer an excellent solution to your problem and be far more practical as well as cost effective.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Marshall Kerry King sig maybe?
Don't knock that **** til you've tried it.
It can do the br00talz with the best of them. Does crunch very nicely of course, and rather pleasant cleans.

Laney GH50L?
I've heard these are very, very versatile.
Id add the Bogner Alchemist to that list as I'm hearing lots of good things about the tone on these, especially the 1x12 combo. I cant talk from personal experience as my local store reckons it will be at least a couple of weeks before they get them in, but what I heard from the manager who has tried one is that they are essentially two separate amps in one box, channel one being very fender sounding with tons of headroom and the second channel being very much a hot rod marshall tone that Bogner are more known for. Prices are about £650-700 for a head, £750-800 for the 1x12 and £850-900 for the 2x12.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
^^^^Those are supposed to be great, but depending on what he considers too big and clunky to transport that could be a lot (the 2x12 is like 80 lbs.)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Carvin x100b or legacy, both a way under your budget but very versatile have great cleans and that way you could get an orange pretty soon afterwards.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
You could also look at a Peavey 6505 for £839. Great tone, loads of available gain and a 2X12.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Take a look at Dr Z
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking into each suggestion.

In terms of the whole combo vs half-stack thing, I'm cool with getting a combo if it's cheaper, but if I'm gonna go the whole way and spend like £1500 on an amp, I want it to be a half-stack because it simply looks a lot cooler on stage tbh, and combos usually come out as heavy/heavier anyway.

I can get a used Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier for £1500. Is it worth it? I don't think I need that much distortion, lol, but they're pretty nice and have good cleans.
Quote by Doadman
You could also look at a Peavey 6505 for £839. Great tone, loads of available gain and a 2X12.

He said he wanted in his words 'Damn nice cleans' so i guess that puts the 5150/6505 out of the window.
what size of gigs? how many channels do you need? what all tones do you play, and how much do you play them?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gigs will be of your average venue size, nothing huge to my knowledge, besides a couple of festivals in the summer.

I would preferably like two channels to be honest, and I need the amp to accomodate heavy rock and shred tones for most of the time, with great cleans for playing in other types of bands (functions etc). The amp needs to be able to also have a nice tone at lower volumes so I can also practice in my room with it, besides at rehearsals and gigs.

I was recommended a Matamp GT1 for my stoner rock needs, and I've seen one on gumtree for £1000 with a 4x12 angled Matamp cab - does anyone know exactly how much gain these things can produce?

cheers
matamp's meant to be good for stoner rock, but i don't play stoner rock, and i haven't tried that matamp...

something like a brunetti xlr-evo (maybe with a 2x12 cab if you don't have too big gigs coming up), or maybe a koch of some description, is pretty versatile for around the £1000 mark, but you'd need to try it in case you don't like it, or in case it doesn't do stoner...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Steve The Plank
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking into each suggestion.

In terms of the whole combo vs half-stack thing, I'm cool with getting a combo if it's cheaper, but if I'm gonna go the whole way and spend like £1500 on an amp, I want it to be a half-stack because it simply looks a lot cooler on stage tbh, and combos usually come out as heavy/heavier anyway.

I can get a used Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier for £1500. Is it worth it? I don't think I need that much distortion, lol, but they're pretty nice and have good cleans.

Dont get the mesa imo they are only good for metal. And thats heavy metal not the 80s stuff, which i presume you mean by heavy rock.

I'd get a ceriatone marshall clone and a nice cab to go with it. Or if you want a classic rock name to be on there(gathered you care bout looks right:P) I can strongly recommend marshalls HW series or the afore mentioned orange. To me those two are the ultimate in rock amps, and both have astounding cleans as well.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Jan 23, 2009,
i dunno how modern the rockerverb gets- more modern than most of the other oranges, but still not really modern... wouldn't hurt to try it, of course.

that brunetti will do a pretty modern distortion... engl/koch/framus/laney etc. are probably worth a try too...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?