Hey, I am looking for a new amp. I play Metal with my band, so preferably something with a lot of gain that can hold its self and not go all muddy.

I was looking at a Mode Four Marshall the other day and I have never really heard anything about them. Can anyone tell me anything about them? I was also playing through a JCM2000 at the studio the other day and that thing was a beast, but the mode four still puzzles me.

I have £800 max to spend and don't mind going second hand.

Thanks for any help.
Quote by sashki
judging by these 'ranks', I guess you were looking at Gibson guitars.

In that case, it goes (worst --> best)
special --> studio --> standard --> custom

When Gibson calls something "special", it's special in the way a retarded kid is.
The mode 4 is a 400 watt solid state.

don't play one.
or buy one.
We had to use them for the battle of the bands (not allowed to bring your own gear) last year and it sounded like ****.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by gibo6666
Hey, I am looking for a new amp. I play Metal with my band, so preferably something with a lot of gain that can hold its self and not go all muddy.

I was looking at a Mode Four Marshall the other day and I have never really heard anything about them. Can anyone tell me anything about them? I was also playing through a JCM2000 at the studio the other day and that thing was a beast, but the mode four still puzzles me.

I have £800 max to spend and don't mind going second hand.

Thanks for any help.

£800?
You can get a lot of better amps for that price!

A 6505 combo brand new [or 6505 head and cab if you go used].
A Marshall Vintage Modern (can be pushed into metal - listen to Paul Gilbert's new album, it's amazing!).
A JCM 2000, as you said.
A used JCM 800.
A Laney GH100
A Laney VH100
ENGL Screamer 50 combo
ENGL Thunder 50 combo
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jan 4, 2009,
Mode 4 = crap

The other guitarist in a band I used to play with had one and it was aweful.

With £800 you can get a Peavey 5150 or 6505 head and a Marshall 4x12 for that 2nd hand.

If you thought the JCM 2000 was a beast then you'll have a propper hard on when you play the 5150/6505.
Doesn't John 5 use a Marshall Mode 4? For either his solo records or his Rob Zombie stuff, either way from what I heard I liked the tone. Then again I have absolutely no first hand experience with the amp.

Honestly though, if you play metal and you want a high gain amp, I wouldn't get the mode four, to start with it's not even full tube, you could get a good high gain tube amp for that price, think Laney, Peavey, Randall.

It's worth taking the time to shop around, and looking on eBay, as personally I think the prices for new amps are a rip-off. I got my Framus Dragon for £570 off eBay and it would've costed around £1500 new.
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab