Poll: Snowboarding or skiing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Snowboarding or skiing?
Snowboarding
110 52%
Skiing
79 38%
Not sure/never been.
21 10%
Voters: 210.
Page 1 of 2
I'm going to Switzerland in February and I have to decide what I want to do; snowboarding or skiing.

Which do you recommend? I'm going to be having lessons in the mornings and I've never tired either of them before. So yeah, which one?

Poll is coming..

EDIT: I've heard skiing is a lot better to start with as it's quicker and easier to pick up, is this true?
Last edited by cash49 at Jan 4, 2009,
Snowboarding is a lot harder IMO, and skiing is great fun, especially on real snow. If you really want to spend the time though, go boarding.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I do both, and they're both amazing. I've been skiing since I was 5 and boarding since I was 13, so I don't really remember learning to ski, but I remember learning to board to be quite tricky. If you're gonna board, you're gonna get bruised, and for a first time I reccomend wrist guards so you're less likely to break your wrists if you fall.
Last edited by filthandfury at Jan 4, 2009,
Snowboarding looks cooler IMO
But I would start with skiing, It's GREAT fun.. I want to skii again now
i love both personally, but i like boarding more cause i started doing that more recently. So go boarding. IMO
Well, if it's your first time - go for skiing... You'll learn to ski very fast, probably in one day or even less, so you'll spend more time having fun. Boarding is much harder to learn, so you'll spend like the whole week trying to learn how to board properly...
I've been skiing ever since I was really little, skiing every year. I tried snowboarding once, didn't like it too much.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Skiing is easier to learn, but less rewarding when it comes to picking up girls.
Cause how many girls can you pick up by walking into a bar and say "I just mastered the bunny hill"?
Quote by Smalas
Well, if it's your first time - go for skiing... You'll learn to ski very fast, probably in one day or even less, so you'll spend more time having fun. Boarding is much harder to learn, so you'll spend like the whole week trying to learn how to board properly...

even after a week you'll probably suck, but still, go boarding!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
I've tried both, started of with skiing but when I was like 11 I wanted to learn snowboard instead and in a week of just trying it out with a friend that tried to teach me I got the basics down, and tbh I think snowboarding is more fun. But indeed it is easier to learn to skii.
Make your choice
I do both. I used to skateboard and now I wakeboard almost everyday during the summer, so learning to snowboard was natural for me. When you're learning, the only hard thing about skiing is not having your skis cross when you turn and stuff. But you'll learn that quickly after it happens once! It's a lot easier to turn though on skis and not go super fast. Snowboarding, however, is very easy to stand up on, but when I was beginning, it was hard for me to slow down. It's also harder to get onto the ski lift with a snowboard as you have to take one foot off and kind of push your way in line.

I'd say boarding is best if you have 2 or more days but skiing if you'll be there fewer.

Regardless of what you pick, you'll have a blast.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
boarding isn't hard AT ALL if you were ever even remotely good at skateboarding. I personally find skiing to be much harder for me, whereas i picked up snowboarding and got pretty good quite quickly.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I've been skiing 4 times and every time it's been really enjoyable. The first year I wasn't so good but after a few days you start to pick it up I've found that it's very much like riding a bike, once you've learnt to do it you can pick it up again really easily.

Never been snowboarding, but i'd recommend skiing to everyone
Skiing is much easier than boarding... it takes a while to learn to carve on a snowboard, and in the process of learning you'll fall down countless times.

On skis, you can start turning with a wedge in a day, and depending on how much you practice, you could get parallel carving down within a few days.

You'll spend weeks learning how to stay on your feet while boarding...
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Snowboarding may look cooler, but personally (tried both) I like skiing better. Also know that in most resorts a lot of skiers hate snowboarders when they get more often stuck at the lifts, at least where I've been.
████████
████████
████████
I go snowboarding, but its taken awhile to get the hang of. But when i was younger i tried skiing, which still took time learning but i was able to learn it quicker. Either way both are fun, but i suggest skiing since its easy to learn at first, but difficult to master.
If you've got the time to learn id say snowboarding. Its harder to pick up but i think is more enjoyable

Personal preference but
Quote by mental_zer0

The fear of the clock became too obvious. got expelled.

Quote by jmilli2
Spread rumours that she is a jew. Then all you need to do is sit back and wait for the secret police to make her 'disappear'.

lol?
yay, were are you going in switzerland? I actually live here ^^

I do both, and prefer sking, but my borther thinks the opposit way.
The only sure think is that skiing is more... "comfortable" and you will fall less often too. (and believe me, if your first day of snowboarding is an "icy" day, you will really know what a painfull ass is).

why don't you just try both?
I'd say skiing. Snowboarders annoy me on ski lifts,

skiings easier to pick up so you'll spend more time enjoying yourself. I've never snowboarded myself but my mate did it and spent half the time on his arse and just got annoyed and gave up and went skiing with the rest of us...
Where are you going in switzerland? I live in switzerland. We should party together. I can get vip seats in a night club. (im not pedobear). Oh, I ski in Verbier, snowboarding is no longer trendy in europe.
LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY MAY

I don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die (about women) - Jens Ludwig

Quote by leony03
That made me lol so hard!!!

yay
Quote by Djaydjay
why don't you just try both?

I would say this, but since you're a complete beginner at both I'd pick one and stick with it. My first time boarding, I skied in the mornings and had lessons on a board in the afternoon, becuase I could already ski well. Now when I go (like when I went last week) I did four days skiing and two boarding.
snowboard: you look cooler and may get hot snowboarder chicks

ski: you actually enjoy the mountain
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
As far as I've found, skiing is easier to start, and harder to perfect.

And then you can pick up a nice pair a twin-tips and give the people who say that snowboarding looks cooler a run for their money.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
Quote by shredmeiser101
snowboard: you look cooler and may get hot snowboarder chicks

ski: you actually enjoy the mountain

This. Except snowboarding doesn't even make you look cool. Just retarded.
its 1:56 am and i just ate 6 chocolate chip cookies in not even near as many minutes
Personally i like skiing better, although i think its probably easier to learn to snowboard.
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
go snowboarding
i used to ski for a long time but about 3 or 4 years ago i switched to snowboarding and its a lot more fun than skiing could ever be
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Intermediate snowboarder here

Snowboard is really fun, and it's not that hard to learn. In a couple of days you'll be riding the slopes by yourself (slowly, but you'll build up your speed. Just like learning the guitar :P). I've been doing it for 3 years now and I love it. When you start to do some jumps and stuff, you'll feel really great... it's also important to have a good teacher.

My parents took ski lessons and I think snowboard is nicer, really. If you choose snowboard, you won't regret it

Cheers and nice riding!
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
hmmmm... you all sound like he'll master the skis in no time at all. He won't. I've been skiing for 15 years and I have to say I'm still not very good.
I've never been snowboarding so i cant really say, but imo skiing is great fun. I would imagine snowboarding is harder to get used to though.
dude, do you even have to ask? go shreddin', i mean, there's a reason skis are called bitchsticks.
Quote by filthandfury
If you're gonna board, you're gonna get bruised, and for a first time I reccomend wrist guards so you're less likely to break your wrists if you fall.

but whatever you do, please, and i beg you, don't listen to this guy.
Quote by mr.happyman
dude, do you even have to ask? go shreddin', i mean, there's a reason skis are called bitchsticks.

but whatever you do, please, and i beg you, don't listen to this guy.

Yeah, because you go snowboarding/skiing to look cool?
i love snowboarding. skiing ive tried and it was too easy imo. ive been snowboarding for 8 years and i love it every day i go. its difficult and gives you a nice adrenaline rush when you hit tough spots and skiing didnt give me that adrenaline. skiing is better for a casual ride down the mountain, you feel more relaxed and can enjoy it. so its really up to which you enjoy. being more relaxed or the rush of adrenaline. i pick on my skier friends but i really dont have a problem with it. its all about preference but in my opinion, its snowboarding all the way!

edit:
ALSO, skiers are annoying as **** on the hill. alot arent but i hate those ****ers that have to carve all the way across the path, those people are obnoxious bastards and i dont stop when they decide to do that, especially when i warn them im coming, you bastards dont own the trail, keep to one part>.<
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
Last edited by risetofight at Jan 4, 2009,
Snowboarding hurts more when you fall. You fall more frequently.
You will fall alot when u start
But its way more fun when u get good
Quote by pengiunman
Hahaha you crack me up swansareroadkil.

:can't think of a smiley to put, your too cool:
Page 1 of 2