Just Play
7 15%
Mixture of Both
38 79%
Voters: 48.
How do you create your own stuff.

do you use theroy and just theory
just compose on a peice of paper and play it after wards

or just play and see what happens, improvise on the spot using as little theroy as possible

or do u use both? and mix up theroy and improvisation
like improv a riff and it happens to be in B minor then use theroy to expand and create a song from that
Last edited by 2mins2midnite at Jan 4, 2009,
i am a both sort of person, basically the ability to improvise a good riff, is great and if it sounds great it stays, i dont adjust to fit into a key or scale or anything.

but at the same time i would sometimes sit there a find a perfect pathway to take by using a bit of knowledge, this helps finding the right texture and tone for my music
Define "Just play"
"Sound:
it has a really good distortion and clean sound a little to much hum in the background but i guess thats why they call them humbuckers"

review on Zzounds
I learn some theory ( exemple : a scale )
I play with it, and mix it to other scale I know, just moving along the note , and see what happen :
1 : if it sound good, I write it down and work on it
2 : if it do not sound sound good, I forget it
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
i'm all just play, with a few bits of theory that applies to what I play like Circle of Fifths, Solo Scales, Sweep Picking, etc.

In other words, you can decide to just play music, but if you intend to write your own music, you need to understand a few things about how you play
I learn theory, but when I play I try to forget as much of it as possible and just listen to what I'm playing instead. my fingers will move in the same way as when I'm playing a scale or something, but I don't think about it.
It depends. I'll often use what I think is an interesting theoretical concept as the starting point of a composition, and then play around to see what I can make of it.

But the big mistake that people make is to use theory to write a song. It's not there to be used to write a song as a set of results, its there to merely describe what you've written. So if I'm playing around and come up with something that I like, but I'm unaware of how it makes sense theoretically, I won't scrap it but continue to develop it.
Theory comes quite naturally to me, so if I improvise, I can look back and the theory behind it, which I created subconsciously is quite apparent. So I would say learn theory then just play.

If I'm writing harmonies, I work stuff out on paper, since I can't play all four parts well at the same time.
Just play.

I don't know so much about theory: just minor pentatonic scale (but I never use it), a few chord progressions, how to create major and minor chords, and which notes sound good together. That's all. When I compose a song I just try to find something that sounds good, I really couldn't care less about theory, scales etc. If a song/riff/lick sound good, it's ok.
There is no "either/or" and to even suggest it is plain stupid.

You can't just turn knowledge on and off like a tap, you either know something or you don't. If you know some theory then you'll be using that knowledge, whether consciously or subconsciously...if you don't then you won't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I know hardly any theory at all, I write a riff in my head then learn it on guitar pretty much
ohai little sig.
I am the kind of person that writes on paper. I can write what I hear, and so Theory helped me lots to speed up the process of songwriting.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
I use theory when i want to spice things up, for the most part when i write riffs ill simply play and most of the time i know the chords i can/want to play but when i want to do a key change or sub out a chord or w/e i try and use my theory knowledge to find out my options

use/learn to do both
If I have a good riff going, I'll try to figure out the scale, but sometimes the scale is fairly exotic or breaks itself somewhere. Ane example would be a riff I wrote this morning after a night of playing guitar; it had the following scale:
A Bb C# D E F G Ab
I couldn't think of the scale's name, but I used it for the better part of the song. It sounds vaguely like Phrygian Dominant, IIRC.
Quote by Geldin
If I have a good riff going, I'll try to figure out the scale, but sometimes the scale is fairly exotic or breaks itself somewhere. Ane example would be a riff I wrote this morning after a night of playing guitar; it had the following scale:
A Bb C# D E F G Ab
I couldn't think of the scale's name, but I used it for the better part of the song. It sounds vaguely like Phrygian Dominant, IIRC.

That scale is an octatonic scale containing all the notes of the phrygian dominant and double harmonic major.

1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7 7
^ Did not know that. Thanks a bunch. I like the sound of it, so I think I'll read more about that scale type.
Quote by steven seagull
There is no "either/or" and to even suggest it is plain stupid.

You can't just turn knowledge on and off like a tap, you either know something or you don't. If you know some theory then you'll be using that knowledge, whether consciously or subconsciously...if you don't then you won't.

This.

Can we ban people who make threads like this?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
This.

Can we ban people who make threads like this?

That's a bit harsh, even if the thread is pointless.