Hello UG. I have been playing guitar for about two years now, mostly chords, and am now starting to practice scales, alternate picking (and tremolo picking), and palm muting. I want to learn how to play songs by Rhapsody of Fire, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Nightwish (The Islander, including the solo's), Stratovarius, and Manowar. Although these are just some of the bands with songs i'd like to play.
I want to play the ballad-like songs, for example Rhapsody of Fire's Son of Pain or Warrior's Pride by Luca Turilli, but i like the heavier stuff, too. Like Dawn of Victory and Emerald Sword by Rhapsody of Fire. Or Wooden Pints and Pine Woods by Korpiklaani. However i do not want to play too heavy songs (Like Slayer, Disturbed).
So, i like power, melodic, symphonic, and folk metal (and a bit of neo-classical).

Here are the songs, if you do not know them and want to have a listen:
Rhapsody of Fire - Son of Pain
Rhapsody of Fire - Dawn of Victory
Rhapsody of Fire - Emerald Sword

Luca Turilli - Warrior's Pride

Korpiklaani - Pine Woods
Korpiklaani - Wooden Pints (cover)

---
Now that i know some of the basics, what easy (and more advanced, after that) songs do i need to learn to play before playing these harder songs? Which techniques are mostly used in this kind of music? What else do i need to learn to play these songs? Do you know any websites with useful resources? Basically, what do i need to learn to play these?
Last edited by robinlint at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by robinlint
Hello UG. I have been playing guitar for about two years now, mostly chords, and am now starting to practice scales, alternate picking (and tremolo picking), and palm muting. I want to learn how to play songs by Rhapsody of Fire, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Nightwish (The Islander, including the solo's), Stratovarius, and Manowar. Although these are just some of the bands with songs i'd like to play.
I want to play the ballad-like songs, for example Rhapsody of Fire's Son of Pain or Warrior's Pride, but i like the heavier stuff, too. For example Dawn of Victory and Emerald Sword by Rhapsody of Fire. Or Happy Little Boozer and Pine Woods by Korpiklaani. However i do not want to play too heavy songs (Like Slayer, Disturbed).
So, i like power, melodic, symphonic, and folk metal (and a bit of neo-classical).
---
Now that i know some of the basics, what easy (and more advanced, after that) songs do i need to learn to play before playing these harder songs?
Whatever you want. We can't tell you. You might not like our suggestions.
Which techniques are mostly used in this kind of music?
I don't know any of these songs, but if they're metal, then you might need some sweep picking and tapping.
What else do i need to learn to play these songs?
How about learning the song, then playing it slow so you can get it down clean?
Do you know any websites with useful resources?
Ehh... nope. It's all about practice.
Basically, what do i need to learn to play these?

Up in red.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Jan 4, 2009,
@SilverDark: Thanks, however i do want to hear some suggestions even if i might not like them. Yes, i think in these songs there is a lot of sweep picking and tapping. Do you mean learning the songs by tab?
It'd be best in the long run if you transcribed them to develop your ear, and there might be one or two things wrong with a tab.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

You are gonna need almost every technique. OK, maybe not fingerpicking. Alternative pickin, vibrato, bending, legato, sweep, tap, harmonics...

On what stage are you now? What's the hardest song you know?
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie
You are gonna need almost every technique. OK, maybe not fingerpicking. Alternative pickin, vibrato, bending, legato, sweep, tap, harmonics...

On what stage are you now? What's the hardest song you know?

I have not ever played a song wholly except if it was only chords. I know enough chord songs, and the hardest one i know.. hmm... If you meant the hardest song i can (somewhat) play, it's Sonata Arctica's Victoria's Secret. If you meant the hardest song i know and don't play, then it's either Dawn of Victory or Michael Angelo Batio's songs. Furthermore i play The Unforgiven's beginning. A song i also like to play is Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, although that is just repeating that same chord progression over and over again. I also play Shy by Sonata Arctica.
But i haven't played a song with both lead and chords and powerchords and all that. Only the basic chord progression stuff.

But i did do some practice with alternate picking and palm muting, all on the site http://www.fretjam.com .

The things i picked up there are: Major scale, Natural minor scale, palm muting, alternate picking, names of the notes on the first (low E, so i guess the sixth) string, power chords and variations of them.
Last edited by robinlint at Jan 4, 2009,
Before you start taking on those songs, you will need to make sure that your alt. picking is virtually flawless. It's a great tool in any kind of music. Next, I would say work on pinch harmonics. They are used so widely that if you are going to play metal, you will almost definitely need to know them. After that would be bends. Not just little half step bends but more exotic 2 whole step bends. Then go for taps. They are used quite often but not as often as any of the other techniques I've mentioned. Finally go for sweeps. Sweeps are one of the biggest challenges for many guitarists but if you practice them slowly, you will get it eventually.

Some songs for you to look at to start out would be some Metallica stuff from the mid 90's, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Coheed and Cambria, 3, Rush, etc.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Last edited by Junior#1 at Jan 4, 2009,
For HammerFall, a lot of their solos from Legacy Of Kings - Threshold have sweep picking in it (the albums Stefan was on), but I'd start of by learning some of the solos Oscar plays (most of the more melodic ones) and you could even learn all of Steel Meets Steel since that's an easier song by them (including solos).
Thanks Junior#1 and Spiner202, that was great information. Do you know any good solo's to practice alternate picking with?
Last edited by robinlint at Jan 4, 2009,
What should i do after i have the sweep picking? (Not that i have that now)
If you want to play this song: Korpiklaani - Wooden Pints. All you need is know how to play powerchords, you can downstroke the whole song if that's easier for you. It's a great song to start with.

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
Basically, you need to learn the songs.

Pick a song, find a tab and get started. If you encounter problems and find a part you can't do right now, then you've found something you need to work on. If you get sick of bits, move on and come back to it. Just keep going until you eventually learn to play them.
thanks colohue and Winter Solstice. I'll start looking at Wooden Pints now, i'd really like to learn that song.
I hope double-posting is allowed. Winter Solstice, i learned Wooden Pints! Thanks
Thanks Junior#1 and Spiner202, that was great information. Do you know any good solo's to practice alternate picking with?

If you are referring to just normal alternate picking, then I would suggest just about any 130 BPM + HammerFall song since (not the solos, but the riffs themselves). I would suggest On The Edge Of Honour, I've learned it (minus the solo, but I know one of the melody solos) and it's quite a challenge. If you are referring to alternate picking in solo patterns, then I'm not much help because I'm not that good at playing solos, but I would suggest Genocide. It has some cool patterns that aren't terrible on the left hand, so it should give your picking hand a workout.
Quote by robinlint

hand of blood- bullet for valentine. although you said you considered slayer and distubred "heavy". black dahlia murder, job for a cowboy, cradle of filth, if you ever want to learn to really play fast learn those guys. for some stretching you could learn hearts burst into fire- again bullet for my valentine, its not to heavy if your not into metal.
Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get

--------------------Monty Python and the Holy Grail----------------

Last edited by X Nocturnal X at Jan 4, 2009,
Winter Solstice, thank you very much for the idea of learning Wooden Pints. I now have made a cover of it. Here it is: Click here to download it
(It is played on top of the original song. I hope this is not copyright infringement. I play both the rhythm guitar and the lead in it (First recorded the rhythm guitar, then the lead on top of it))
To everybody: Any criticism on it, tips on what to do better (it sounds crappy at some points in the song), and songs to try after this one?

Licensed with Creative Commons (because i wanted to try out that license)

PS. This is more becoming a general "How do i play this song? Suggest me a song please? and "Hey, here's a cover i've made "" thread. Where should i continue this? By the way, please don't delete this thread, it contains some great information for me
can you play the Solo Section and the breakdown in Victoria's Secret?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
can you play the Solo Section and the breakdown in Victoria's Secret?

I have only played a part of the chords in Victoria's Secret, no power chords or lead, however, good idea, i'll look into it. thanks

EDIT: What exactly do you mean by the Solo Section and the breakdown?
Quote by Freepower
Go through all the links in my sig.

Thanks . Nice lessons.
Try Father Time by Stratovarius
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Long time since i asked here. May i use this as my general ask-questions-about-playing thread?
Anyway, i have a question. I have practiced alternate picking and can play some simple songs at a good speed now. I want to learn one second picking technique. Which is better, sweep picking or economy picking? Should i learn sweep picking before economy picking?
Last edited by robinlint at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by robinlint
Long time since i asked here. May i use this as my general ask-questions-about-playing thread?
Anyway, i have a question. I have practiced alternate picking and can play some simple songs at a good speed now. I want to learn one second picking technique. Which is better, sweep picking or economy picking?

Both have entirely different applications. You need to become proficient with both.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Both have entirely different applications. You need to become proficient with both.

Thank you for the quick reply. Which is the best one to start with? Sweep picking, isn't it?
Quote by robinlint
Thank you for the quick reply. Which is the best one to start with? Sweep picking, isn't it?

Strengthen your alternate picking, it's the bare bones of all picking, then, when you feel confident in your picking, then go if you want for economy picking.

Sweeping is a separate technique that you'll have to practice separately.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Soloing aside, develop tight rhythm playing, which is vitla for metal.

Unless you've got that down already, then go for it! Get those soloing chops up to scratch!
Last edited by mdc at Feb 1, 2009,