I have been looking at stacks recently, and as I am very unexperianced when it comes to anything amp and tone related I thought I would just ask you guitar geniouses here at UG about this amp that caught my noobish eye. The Laney LX120 Camo Half-Stack. My style is mainly around punk, however; me and my friends (bassist and a drummer) are planning on putting a Goth-Pop (HIM, My Chemical Romance, Kill Hannah) with a Punk influence band together, record a few demos and try and get gigs and hope for the best.

To be my perfect amp it should have some nice cleans with a good heavy distortion that I could also get a pop-punk tone. Preferabley, I would like it to be able to handle up to five effects pedals; Wah Pedal, Distortion Pedal, Multi - FX and if I get any more along the way as a guitarist.

Any replies are much appreciated, if this is a bad amp then any other suggestions are much appreciated as long as they are in this general price range, going up to 400 pounds at a maximum (600-800 dollars I believe). My guitars are all humbucking by the way.

EDIT: I will not be able to try anything out as the closest guitar shops are a good three hours away, I am too young to drive and those shops that takes that considerable amount of time to get to are terrible and dont have a wide range of amps.

Thanks
Last edited by SkinnyVampire at Jan 4, 2009,
May I ask why you chose stacks over combos?
You'll get a much better amp for your money by going down the combo route.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
May I ask why you chose stacks over combos?
You'll get a much better amp for your money by going down the combo route.

stacks give me orgasms
Quote by SkinnyVampire
stacks give me orgasms

Combos are overrated. Seriously. They are heavy as hell, and harder (somewhat) to work on. Get a half stack. You can always sell a head or change a cab without issue. With a combo you're committed. I speak from experience. See sig.
Quote by SkinnyVampire
stacks give me orgasms

Im assuming its because stacks are loud or something.

I would keep looking for a different amp since you cant try it. It doesnt look great, it may be a good amp though.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Combos are overrated. Seriously. They are heavy as hell, and harder (somewhat) to work on. Get a half stack. You can always sell a head or change a cab without issue. With a combo you're committed. I speak from experience. See sig.
Peavey JSX Combo
Peavey VYPYR 75
Fulltone OCD (v1.4)
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimators
Boss GE-7
Hardwire Chorus & Delay

Stacks are overated actually, combos are cheaper, easier to lug about and generally better than their stack counterparts.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
not really.....there are some ****ing great combos, and some astounding stacks... you cant really get a Metallica tone with a combo in a big gig, but you can crank easily the combo... u know..
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Alright, cmon guys, stop the arguing about stacks vs. combos. TS, it's your money, you can do what you want with it, but yes, for that amount of money, you could get a much better combo than stack.

Quote by Adrian89
not really.....there are some ****ing great combos, and some astounding stacks... you cant really get a Metallica tone with a combo in a big gig, but you can crank easily the combo... u know..

This post made absolutely no sense.
Quote by GNRjungle87
This post made absolutely no sense.

+1
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
^ That.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Stacks give you orgasms!!!!!

Your sexual preferences aside, I'd go with a combo as I just think you get more for your money. A 4X12 looks great but you really don't need that many speakers at the vast majority of gigs. I' think you'd be better off with a valve combo than a ss half stack myself but then £400 doesn't get you a lot of valve amp new.

A Laney VC30 - 212 would be a much better option as it has a great valve tone and while it doesn't generate much gain itself, it does take pedals really well and the 2 X 12" speakers should shift more than enough air for you. At only £380 it's very good value.

The Line 6 Spider Valve 112 may also be another good option. It only has the one 12" speaker but it has loads of power and a huge range of tones available through the modeling section. It may not be totally valve in the traditional sense but it does offer a hell of a lot of possibilities tonally and is only slightly over budget at £418.

I'd also like to suggest the forthcoming Peavey Vypyr 60w. It's not out yet so prices are still to be advised but it's a very similar idea to the Spider Valve, though I'd expect it to be better than the Spider Valve yet certainly less than £400 so this could be worth waiting for.

Of these three I'd be tempted between the Laney and the Peavey.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Stacks give you orgasms!!!!!

Your sexual preferences aside, I'd go with a combo as I just think you get more for your money. A 4X12 looks great but you really don't need that many speakers at the vast majority of gigs. I' think you'd be better off with a valve combo than a ss half stack myself but then £400 doesn't get you a lot of valve amp new.

A Laney VC30 - 212 would be a much better option as it has a great valve tone and while it doesn't generate much gain itself, it does take pedals really well and the 2 X 12" speakers should shift more than enough air for you. At only £380 it's very good value.

The Line 6 Spider Valve 112 may also be another good option. It only has the one 12" speaker but it has loads of power and a huge range of tones available through the modeling section. It may not be totally valve in the traditional sense but it does offer a hell of a lot of possibilities tonally and is only slightly over budget at £418.

I'd also like to suggest the forthcoming Peavey Vypyr 60w. It's not out yet so prices are still to be advised but it's a very similar idea to the Spider Valve, though I'd expect it to be better than the Spider Valve yet certainly less than £400 so this could be worth waiting for.

Of these three I'd be tempted between the Laney and the Peavey.

i will check these out on youtube
You'll struggle to get much on the Peavey as it's not out yet, though you'll find plenty on the solid state Vypyrs that are selling very well. I think it's much the same idea but with a valve driven power amp that should give it improved tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I say screw modelers at this point.

With that much money and especially cause your over in that side of the pond look into some good Valve Combos.

I say the vox AC15 is good enough for what you want, its got no gain knob but it does have a master volume knob wich in conjunction with the volume knob can get you a variaty of clean crunchy and overdriven sounds, especially with a good OD infront of it youll be surprised the gain levels you can get really outstanding you just have to try one out. Its so nice and clean cut every note can be heard in all that crunchyness and OD it delivers in that 12 speaker.

Also anything Laney with tubes in it would fit the bill perfectly, try to buy used if you can to put some money towards pedals.

Like I said for the kind of monen you got dont be looking at modelers unless its a line 6 flextone or a Vox AD60VTX.

I dont know about the Spider valve, its alright if you ask me, if your just geared towards metal, the hard rock and blues side of it left much to be desired at least to me. Next to a real valve amp like a AC15 its just not an option especially for the same price.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Jan 4, 2009,