i was just wondering what the UG community thinks makes a good blues song? opinions anyone?
UG Community?
There are about 6 people that use this subforum on a regular basis

I have come up with a suitably smart arse answer to go with my comment.

To make a good blues song, you must have:

1) The Blues

The blues isn't about being sad though, it's whatever feelings you have inside you.
A 12-bar blues progression.

It is a good basis though.

You gotta feel it though. Feeling is everything. I'm not normally that great of a player but I was playing at about 3am to some jam tracks I downloaded and man, I was getting into it and it was awesome. Now maybe it's just because I was getting into it that I thought it was good but it is true that feeling is important. So many guitarists nowadays just play notes. And some of them play way too many notes.

That reminded me of an important part of improvisation: patience. You can't rush to play something until you get into the groove. If you're going somewhere you don't want to go, don't force it.
Quote by ze monsta

1) The Blues

The blues isn't about being sad though, it's whatever feelings you have inside you.

This.
i meant it as a serious question but get piss take answers . exception is food1010, thts the kinda stuff i was expecting
Quote by Runt2608
i meant it as a serious question but get piss take answers . exception is food1010, thts the kinda stuff i was expecting

If you were expecting thatm why did you ask?
I didn't make a piss take answer, neither did anyone else.

I'm gonna be straight with you, this is a silly thread. In this subforum we have a laugh and have chat, look at any of the large threads.

The obvious answers are gonna be 12 bar, blues scale, pentatonics, 9th chords and guitar solos. I gave a proper answer, for it to be a blues song, it's gotta have some feelings in there.
So 12 bar covers the music, how about the lyrics? Thats where i come in.. Write about any experience you have had. Sadness is usually the default for blues, just dont go all emo. Or maybe you should. I dont really care. Oh, and remember to add "I've got the (insert subject) blues" somewhere in the song. Then even a total idiot would know you're playing blues.
Quote by im_with_theband
Your G-string sounds funny?

Thats...

...wait for it...

...what she said

Quote by Pregowski92
people who post spontaneously unfunny, boring cliché comments are made about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, on my threads.

good day, sir.
Yeah really, theres no definite answer here. A blues song is a song that you hear, and it makes you think, for any of a variety of reasons, "now that's the blues".

I don't quite know what you're looking for, so I reverted to humor. It's just my way.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
well if thats the obvious answer why didnt u say it ze monsta?? i asked what makes a gd blues song and you said the blues! tht was really useful...

ps thanks for the answer on the lyrics slidething31
Last edited by Runt2608 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by im_with_theband
So 12 bar covers the music, how about the lyrics? Thats where i come in.. Write about any experience you have had. Sadness is usually the default for blues, just dont go all emo. Or maybe you should. I dont really care. Oh, and remember to add "I've got the (insert subject) blues" somewhere in the song. Then even a total idiot would know you're playing blues.

You don't even have to write about your own experience.
Ever heard "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground" by Blind Willie Johnson?
That's the blues. That's a man trying to find the music to pain and suffering.

Ever heard "Boogie Chillen'" by John Lee Hooker?
That's the blues. That's a man playing his own music and having fun.

I can go on and on naming stuff, and saying that's the blues but I can't explain why it's so important to me or what it is about it. It's all so different, because blues is so diverse!
You know why, because it's the blues and it's always different, for everybody. It's what you put in and take out personally.
The feeling and soul behind the music makes the blues. Unlike many other genres, like metal, classical, jazz etc., composition is not a main focus. Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, SRV, BB King, you know, the blues guitarists most people cite, never reallt broke much ground. They was innovation here and there, but mainly they all played the same 12 bars that had been around forever. The soul and feeling behind the blues is really what turns a good blues song into a great blues tune.

Hows that for a cheesy answer.
have an orgasm while you play, and give all the listeners orgasms....or just shut up and play yer guitar
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by food1010
A 12-bar blues progression.

It is a good basis though.

You gotta feel it though. Feeling is everything. I'm not normally that great of a player but I was playing at about 3am to some jam tracks I downloaded and man, I was getting into it and it was awesome. Now maybe it's just because I was getting into it that I thought it was good but it is true that feeling is important. So many guitarists nowadays just play notes. And some of them play way too many notes.

That reminded me of an important part of improvisation: patience. You can't rush to play something until you get into the groove. If you're going somewhere you don't want to go, don't force it.

What about 8 Bar blues?

Little Walters harmonica solo on "Worried Life" is probably one of my all time favorite. The song in itself is brilliant aswell.

The Blues are all about feel. I've seen people use all the "required" elements, but it's still not good blues. You need that little extra, other then that it's all down to preference.
I think a lot of good blues guitar playing is as equally about what you DON'T play as to what you DO play. I'll take tasteful playing over fretboard-wankery everytime.
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
I think a lot of good blues guitar playing is as equally about what you DON'T play as to what you DO play. I'll take tasteful playing over fretboard-wankery everytime.

Exactly, this is why Gary Moore isn't a good bluesguitar player, but rather a good rock guitarist.
Quote by JilaX^
Exactly, this is why Gary Moore isn't a good bluesguitar player, but rather a good rock guitarist.

I agree to some extent, but he can be a great blues guitarist (eg. 'I Had A Dream' http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBGgkIOzX8) but sometimes he goes overboard with the distortion and speed.

I'd give my left nut to be able to play like him though.
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
have an orgasm while you play, and give all the listeners orgasms....or just shut up and play yer guitar

Sounds like one of Santana's "spiritual orgasms"
Great guitar player, but a spliff to far I think.

BB King does not play left handed. what the hell is going lol
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
BB King does not play left handed. what the hell is going lol

The photo has obviously been reversed in the same way it would look like your playing left handed in a mirror.