I'm somewhat new to acoustic. I've always played electric. I have a 1970s MIJ Takamine G330 dreadnought acoustic.
Can anyone recommend strings that would be good for more fingerpicking style playing?
Right now I have it strung with D'Addario 11's. The 80/20 bronze strings. It sounds fantastic with normal strumming and finger picking but any time I try to do hammer ons or slide up/down a string I lose most of the sound. Have to really pluck the string hard just to get a sound. I'm putting enough pressure on the string to fret it properly, it just doesnt carry the sound well. Hard to describe, but I hope you know what I mean. I'm thinking different strings might help. Someone recommended Ernie Ball Earthwood Light strings to me. Would prefer to stick with a light gauge, even at the risk of losing a bit of tone.
I should probably just stop trying to play an acoustic like an electric guitar but I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks!
I've got 12s on my 314CE and 11s on my T5 and have no problem getting hammer ons and pull offs to work. The only difference is, that I'm using Elixir Nanowebs on both guitars. I use the 80/20 Bronze Elixirs on the 314CE and the Electric Guitar Steels on the T5. The T5 has to use these, since it also has a couple of humbuckers installed. Steel strings are a little different than bronze strings. Have you tried them on your acoustic? If you don't want to spend $15 a set for the Elixirs, D'Addario makes the EXL115, which is an 11 gauge steel set. Give them a try and see if it makes a difference.
I actually just strung my Tak EG530sc with Earthwood Lights, just to try them out.

Sounds nice, kind of crisp. Strings are responsive to hammer ons and pull offs.
my friends have a similiar 12 string tak, and it's very unresponsive to hammer ons and pull offs... i always thought it was the frets and build of the guitar, they use the same strings i do.
maybe you should raise your action?
My favourites at the moment are Eric Clapton Signature Martin strings. They have a very nice warm and well rounded sound that offers great bass response that a lot of other strings lack.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.