Page 1 of 3
that can do blues?
I'm looking at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with 40W but I think I want breakup sooner than that.
Playing John Mayer bluesy stuff.
A blues junior should be perfect for you.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I'd say blues Junior also. If you gotta have 30 watts look at the Peavey Delta Blues 1x15.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I'd say blues Junior also. If you gotta have 30 watts look at the Peavey Delta Blues 1x15.

+1
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by stratdud39
you dont need 30w, get a blues junior 15w, and plenty plenty loud for 15w

well maybe he doesn't need 30w, but how would you know that unless you asked if he's in a band, and what he's using now?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
well maybe he doesn't need 30w, but how would you know that unless you asked if he's in a band, and what he's using now?

well unless he's playin at stadiums then a blues junior will do just fine.
i should have asked if TS was gigging and what size gigs though, i cant disaggree.
TS ARE you gigging?
In a blues trio, using a 50 Watt MG at practice.
Will be gigging.
I heard that a Blues Junior won't get over a drummer without breaking up completely.
, stratdude i'm not trying to be mean.

and i guess with the right pa system a blues jr can play a stadium.

but during full band practice, a blues jr can easily get drowned out.

^yeah i used to have one, and it got buzzy when i cranked it too much during practice.
i played moderate alternative rock.

i ended up getting a 30W american masters amp. suits me much better.

ts did you ever try a jc-120? i see them used sometimes, that's a really nice, no nonsense amp.

also tried a peavey delta, and looked into trayner 20s, and peavey classic 30 amps.

there are more, let me think.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by cratskomodo
Will be gigging.
I heard that a Blues Junior won't get over a drummer without breaking up completely.

Peavey Delta Blues then. great sounding amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by jj1565
, stratdude i'm not trying to be mean.

and i guess with the right pa system a blues jr can play a stadium.

but during full band practice, a blues jr can easily get drowned out.

^yeah i used to have one, and it got buzzy when i cranked it too much during practice.
i played moderate alternative rock.

i ended up getting a 30W american masters amp. suits me much better.

ts did you ever try a jc-120? i see them used sometimes, that's a really nice, no nonsense amp.

also tried a peavey delta, and looked into trayner 20s, and peavey classic 30 amps.

there are more, let me think.

Preferably not solid state. I'd like to go tube.
that's fine, but hoenstly, the jazz chorus are pretty awesome.

there's also laney, and those crate v amps arent that bad. i finally got to try one out.
for the price you get a lot for the money.

you have to really look for them now tho, they are almost all gone.
V18, V30, V50 something like that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Pros and cons of Fender blues deluxe/HRD
Pros
brilliant cleans
More wattage

Cons
God awful overdrive channels
very heavy, you aren't moving one of these anywhere without a car

Pros and cons of peavey classic 30:

Pros
Good overdrive
Good cleans
earlier breakup

Cons
Less clean headroom
Less John Mayer-ish sound than the other two (JM uses very clean amps, and pedals to get his overdriven tones)
Quote by jj1565
that's fine, but hoenstly, the jazz chorus are pretty awesome.

there's also laney, and those crate v amps arent that bad. i finally got to try one out.
for the price you get a lot for the money.

you have to really look for them now tho, they are almost all gone.
V18, V30, V50 something like that.

Can anyone tell me why the V50 is cheaper than the V33?
And will I be able to get a Mayer-like tone on the Crate?
The HRD can get earlier break up if you play games swapping out the preamp tubes. I think a Delta Blues is a bit more "mid" heavy than the fender which has pronounced high tones and thicker lows. Not that you can't eq either to suit your needs. I had a DB, great blues amp. The 2x10 version will get you a little more headroom than the 1x15 but will be voiced a bit brighter with it's speaker config using 10's, IMO. Just throwing that out there.
Look: For John Mayer you want cleans. John's tone is based around his clean tone coming from his Two Rocks. He says so himself. He goes for the best and loudest clean tone he can with plenty of headroom. The overdrive comes from all the pedals he uses. He uses a huge rig, with many expensive boutique amps, but his overdrive tones come from an array of pedals.
What do you mean move an HRD without a car? It can be carried. And even a mic'ed BJ playing a stadium. NO way. Not even with an HRD.

Anyway, don't get a Hot Rod Deluxe, ok? It only sounds good modded, for the OD channels, at least. Plus the natural break up on it is pretty harsh, the volume levels off pretty quickly, and it is indeed a very loud amp.

The Blues Junior is a cool amp, but do yourself a favor and get the one with the Jensen speaker. Sounds much better than the regular one.

A NOS BJ should put you close to the JM sound. You can also invest in a nice OD pedal in the future to really get close to the JM sound.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
^by the time you start adding up all the extras he'd need to put into the Bjr, he could have gotten an amp much better suited to his needs.
something more than 15W.

and i saw a blues junior play to jones beach arena. not a stadium, but pretty large.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^by the time you start adding up all the extras he'd need to put into the Bjr, he could have gotten an amp much better suited to his needs.
something more than 15W.

and i saw a blues junior play to jones beach arena. not a stadium, but pretty large.

http://www.tickco.com/images/venues/page/jones-beach.jpg/
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
^if you have a drummer with a light hand, i guess. but i was pushing mine all the time.

yeah, i swapped out the speaker for a weber blue dog.

and i had a tube screamer, and even used an added cab.

you can't always count on a sound system when you play out.

if you want to buy one and try it out that's fine.
but for $500 + money, you can find other better amps. (by the way the nos is like $550)

it doesnt even have a standby or an fx loop. it's a jump start tube amp. it's nice but it's not the only thing out there by far.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^if you have a drummer with a light hand, i guess. but i was pushing mine all the time.

yeah, i swapped out the speaker for a weber blue dog.

and i had a tube screamer, and even used an added cab.

you can't always count on a sound system when you play out.

if you want to buy one and try it out that's fine.
but for $500 + money, you can find other better amps.

it doesnt even have a standby or an fx loop. it's a jump start tube amp. it's nice but it's not the only thing out there by far.

Yeah I don't want to be pushing it really, I want a considerable amount of headroom to get over the drummer.
And I've been told not to get the HRD so I guess I'll take a look at my options.
JM has used both the blues junior (on chappelle's show, probably for portability) and the HRD. I think an HRD with a modded BD-2 would suit you better than a blues jr.

The NOS blues jr is a waste, just get a regular one and replace the speaker yourself, or mod it so it works better with the stock speaker, that's even cheaper.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Traynor YCV40... Mine can break up and do blues amazingly even with the volume set at 1... I think its the most amazing amp ever... And used you can pick one up for about $400 which is right around the price of the Fender...
Quote by music_mike
Traynor YCV40... Mine can break up and do blues amazingly even with the volume set at 1... I think its the most amazing amp ever... And used you can pick one up for about $400 which is right around the price of the Fender...

Good amp, too marshally sounding for JM IMO.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I love my Peavey Classic 30, and it easily gets over drums and what not.

Edit: Just as an example I was playing a little "gig" I guess you could say at my girlfriend's grandparent's house. My girlfriend's brother plays drums and he doesn't play lightly, I think I had the volume on 5.5 with the Pre/gain set to like 3 or 4. I don't remember exactly but it wasn't much, and the knobs all go to 12.
Last edited by chip46 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by chip46
I love my Peavey Classic 30, and it easily gets over drums and what not.

Edit: Just as an example I was playing a little "gig" I guess you could say at my girlfriend's grandparent's house. My girlfriend's brother plays drums and he doesn't play lightly, I think I had the volume on 5.5 with the Pre/gain set to like 3 or 4. I don't remember exactly but it wasn't much, and the knobs all go to 12.

Hmmm, will the Classic 30 get me a Mayer-like tone?
Last edited by cratskomodo at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by scott58
Peavey Delta Blues then. great sounding amp.

That is what I was going to recommend.

Absolutely beautiful sounding amp. My uncle in Missouri has one, and every time I go to visit we jam and his tone is always so beautiful.

-edit

Yeah the classic 30 is good too, but the delta blues is better.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
hello, the key to a blues jr is get it up off the ground about 2 ft or so. i use a pair of pro jrs in a stereo hook up and i play everything from country to metal. remember 1 tube watt is = to about 3 wat ss and these are class a watts which are louder than a class b or class ab tube amp. only problem with all the jr's is they are a 1 trick pony no channel switching. i use pedals which they seem to like very well.
i used to keep mine up off the ground.
on left,

and 1 tube watt isnt = to about 3 watts ss.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Kevin Saale
JM has used both the blues junior (on chappelle's show, probably for portability) and the HRD. I think an HRD with a modded BD-2 would suit you better than a blues jr.

The NOS blues jr is a waste, just get a regular one and replace the speaker yourself, or mod it so it works better with the stock speaker, that's even cheaper.

So stick with my original choice in the HRD?

Would a Delta or Classic 30 beat out an HRD for what I'm looking for?
Quote by jj1565

if hes trying to get bluesy warm break up, why would he get a 120 watt solid state amp thats famous for being extremely clean?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
^because it's loud and clean and takes pedals well.

are you saying it's not a good blues amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by cratskomodo
Hmmm, will the Classic 30 get me a Mayer-like tone?

I can get a good Mayer tone from it, basically anything blues it can do. I think the clean sound is great, but it can also get dirty for other types of blues. Also does rock very well and other types of stuff, just last night I was messing around and got a really good David Gilmour-ish tone out of it.

Edit: What you should really do is not limit yourself to one or two amps. Go out and try all of these amps that people have recomended. I don't mean just going into Guitar Center for an hour either, I mean actually sit down and play with each amp for a good hour or so. This may take multiple trips to your music shop too, but it's better to be sure of what you want when spending that much on an amp that you want to last for a long time.
Last edited by chip46 at Jan 4, 2009,
i see the "get a 30w combo" bandwagon has now shrunk to 15

VC30
orange rocker 30
vox AC30
sound city SC-20/30/40
bogner alchemist

theres one for every budget there. the 40w fenders arent too hot for quiet practise, theyre hella loud
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by jj1565
^because it's loud and clean and takes pedals well.

are you saying it's not a good blues amp?

well, it depends what you want. my understanding was that he wanted an amp that would get him bluesy breakup fairly early. JC-120's are supposed to stay clean at very high volumes, and when they do break up, its not the kind of blues overdrive hes looking for. it does take pedals well, but i think he's looking for nice bluesy natural distortion more than he is an amp to put pedals through
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
i took this as him needing More headroom.
but i honestly could care less. you asked and that's why i said a jc.

Quote by cratskomodo
Will be gigging.

and the right pedal thru a jc sounds very natural.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Page 1 of 3