I bought a bass from SX to toy around with, and then to upgrade. It sounds pretty nice as is, but I know I can do better and customize it. Right now everything is stock on it, even the strings. Overall it's just a basic 5 string fender jazz copy. So far I'm thinking a new Badass 2 bridge, and maybe some new pickups, as I don't much like the sound of single coils. Any ideas on where to go from here?
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.
Badass 2 isn't 5 string, but if I recall correctly they make a 5 string version (Badass V I think).
For pickups try Seymour Duncans.
New electronics maybe? D-tuner?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Pickups will probably have the biggest effect on your sound. What is it you don't like about single coils?

Other than that, bridge, tuners and electronics can all benefit from a spruce up.

Or you could save money and put it towards a nicer bass later on.
Quote by Jateca
Pickups will probably have the biggest effect on your sound. What is it you don't like about single coils?

Other than that, bridge, tuners and electronics can all benefit from a spruce up.

Or you could save money and put it towards a nicer bass later on.

I second this, I doubt that SX bass will last you a very long time. In my opinion you would be better off getting a decent bass and upgrading it rather than upgrading the ****ty(no offense) SX bass that you have now.
I have plenty of better basses. Moreover, I bought the SX to play with and upgrade. I know it isn't that great, but I wanna make it better, even if it does cost a bit of cash.
Quote by Lomu

Quote by Smartass
I have plenty of better basses. Moreover, I bought the SX to play with and upgrade. I know it isn't that great, but I wanna make it better, even if it does cost a bit of cash.

Fair enough.

In that case I'd definitely say start with the pickups. Seymour duncan, Dimzarzio or Bartolini are some well known makers.

After that, just consider upgrading anything that might effect performance. Going out of tune too much? Swap out the tuners, bridge and maybe the nut too.

Nice bit of polish can work wonders too
The pickups and strings. Perhaps the nut. Try defretting it, thats always a good learning experience.
DB Player
Quote by Jateca
Fair enough.

In that case I'd definitely say start with the pickups. Seymour duncan, Dimzarzio or Bartolini are some well known makers.

After that, just consider upgrading anything that might effect performance. Going out of tune too much? Swap out the tuners, bridge and maybe the nut too.

Nice bit of polish can work wonders too

Alright, I'm definitely thinking new pickups. How would passive EMG jazz pickups sound? I'll check out the other brands as well. So far it stays in tune very well, and I've only had to tune it once since I've gotten it (I've checked the tuning everytime I've played). I'm also thinking maybe the bridge will be replaced, and obviously the strings. Right now it has a sunbirst vinish with a black pick guard. i may grab a tortoise shell guard instead, but I'll have to see if it matches the sunbirst and chrome pickup covers.
Quote by Lomu

Your doing the same as me, Im refinishing mine, adding a humbucker and preamp, 5 way switch, new tuners, new bridge.

Check out Bartolini for pickups and preamps. Theres also the gotoh bridges which are alot cheaper and are as good. Maybe new tuners. Does yours have opne string retainer, cause ive found on 5er's they really need to be holding down the E A D strings to help, so look into that.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Smartass
Alright, I'm definitely thinking new pickups. How would passive EMG jazz pickups sound? I'll check out the other brands as well. So far it stays in tune very well, and I've only had to tune it once since I've gotten it (I've checked the tuning everytime I've played). I'm also thinking maybe the bridge will be replaced, and obviously the strings. Right now it has a sunbirst vinish with a black pick guard. i may grab a tortoise shell guard instead, but I'll have to see if it matches the sunbirst and chrome pickup covers.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Do splash out on some good strings if you can afford them.

Personally I love the look of tortoiseshell on sunburst, but that's your call

As far as I know the only passive EMGs that fit a 5 string are soapbar sized, so you may want to rethink that unless you want to start cutting into the bass.

You could also change some of the other hardware. If you've got chrome knobs, for example, then you can get black or gold ones to replace them. Just a thought.

Oh, and straplocks! Very useful bit of kit.