Page 1 of 2
Well on my journey to becoming a better guitarist i've started to pick up some nice gear- a tube amp, some pedals, better guitar, but i've noticed that my ear has started to pick up on things i would never have before.

1) my spider III started to sound like a ring tone
2) i can't stand the sound of my old guitar's pickups
3) swapping speaker out of my new amp because it was too muddy'
4) noticed the two COMPLETELY different sounds my fender 1mm heavy picks and dunlop gator 1.14mm picks make (this one really took the cake, i'm TORN on which picks to use and sometimes switch halfway through the song for a different sound)

so- anyone else notice these things happening to them? Is this normal?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
When you think boutique amps sound bad, you're a tone freak. While you're using a Valveking happily, not so much.
Quote by Horlicks
When you think boutique amps sound bad, you're a tone freak. While you're using a Valveking happily, not so much.

more talking about the whole pick scenario but alright

also i DID mention i was swapping the speaker out of my VK, but point taken.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Yeah the same thing has beem happening to me dude
Gear
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Bluerock Begginers 10W Amp
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come
Les Paul Copy(Fixing up to be good)
...What's wrong with Valvekings???
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by yellowshirtguy
...What's wrong with Valvekings???

They're pretty much the cheapest and worst sounding valve amps available, next to cheap 5 watts and Crate V series.
Quote by Horlicks
They're pretty much the cheapest and worst sounding valve amps available, next to cheap 5 watts and Crate V series.

ehhh I don't know about that. I get a pretty good Megadeth tone out of mine and that's exactly what I'm after. The cleans are pretty bland but I would not call it a bad sounding amp?
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Hm, I'm not much of a tone freak myself - on bedroom levels, I'm so so happy with my ENGL because with random amps it always took me ten minutes to get a decent sound and with the ENGL it's álways a decent sound.

Until you crank it up. That's when the lovely lovely sweetness of awesomel real tone comes in. Now whenever I turn up a solid state at rehearsel I expect the sweetness to come to me again but it never does

Yes, sirs. I am spoiled by tone.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Too many people are far too over-critical of tone.

Sure there are some **** amps and tones, but some people just get ****ing fanatical.

When those people can afford to buy me an ENGL or Mesa, then we can talk.
ENGLs aren't that expensive. I picked the Screamer 50 up for for 750eur second hand from a store with three month's insurance/guarantee. That's like 750 pounds now but was maybe 500 pounds a few months ago

And you don't need more that 50 watts. It fills larger theatres like a mofo. Also wherever you go on stage it's there. Ahh I'm in love <3
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
:P Nice buy!

Having said all that though about tone, I had to gig with a band a while back who brought with them:
2 MG100 half-stacks.

And then insisted that they were mic'd up.

In a 50m square venue.

I almost killed them. It sounded dreadful. We turned all the amp mics off at the desk about 10 minutes into their set.
Quote by beckyjc
Anyone that spends 5 minutes on UG goes the same way.

/thread
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Depends on how long you've been playing. If you started guitar right when you joined UG, it seems your ears have become more sensitive to tone and your picking up on the little things that you wouldn't have noticed before.
Yep all picks sound a bit different. Some have softer attack than others. Thin picks sound different from thick picks. I have a number of different pick types laying around.
Quote by Mazzakazza

Sure there are some **** amps and tones, but some people just get ****ing fanatical.

It's not really that people are over critical at all. Some people just develop a highly sensitive ear, and more and more gear starts sounding worse and worse. Until eventually you end up spending your life's savings on gear that sounds good to you.

Luckily I'm not quite to that point yet.

Just take a look at Eric Johnson for example. He is the opitomy of a tone freak.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Anybody that thinks a Valveking with a Celestion vintage 30 in it sucks, isn't a tone freak, they're just a spoiled little bitch.
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
Anybody that thinks a Valveking with a Celestion vintage 30 in it sucks, isn't a tone freak, they're just a spoiled little bitch.

Damn straight.
Yeah, I think all of us are tone freaks to a point. I know I started racking up gear pretty quickly when I got past the point of not caring what my starter guitar/amp sounded like.

As for the overexaggerating idiots who sit there and claim "valveking sux@#!@!!!#@", grow up. Valvekings are good amps for the money, and I agree with the above that if you just change the speaker it goes from being a pretty good amp to a d@mn good amp.
happens to a lot of people, cause your ear gets bored of the same sound...its the same as overplaying a song...also you start liking different music and their tone, so your ear is excited by something else
its a neverending circle, and leads people to have a ****load of guitars, amps, and pedals cause theyre never satisfied with their tone for long
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by OnlyIbanez12

What a ridiculous statement.
Everybody slags expensive gear until they can afford it.
I find that as I get more expensive equipment, my tone soon becomes stale and I want something more expensive or better.
Quote by nemjeff13
happens to a lot of people, cause your ear gets bored of the same sound...its the same as overplaying a song...also you start liking different music and their tone, so your ear is excited by something else
its a neverending circle, and leads people to have a ****load of guitars, amps, and pedals cause theyre never satisfied with their tone for long

Exactly. After only playing my Ibanez for ages, just today I started playing my cheap old strat copy for a change, loved the sound of single coils, and now I'm GASing for a good single coil equipped guitar. Ah well, it's all fun.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by Mazzakazza

I can afford to buy an ENGL. A Screamer Combo.

Is it wrong to have tastes and preferences?
In my hunt for a tube amp, I've tried every amp I could afford, including the H&K Switchblade, a Mesa f-50, Engl Screamer, Randall RM50, Laney LC30, Marshall JVM, Fender Supersonic and Peavey Triple XXX.

And you know what? When I had a go with a Valveking (which costs half of what the others do), it got me a pretty darn good tone. I don't see why everyone hates it. Sure, it's no boutique amp, but it sounded pretty darn good to me.
Many say it's too muddy. I used an ESP LTD George Lynch Tiger, which is really bright, so I guess that balanced it out.

And when I tried the more expensive amps, the ENGL and Mesa especially, I was very disappointed. In fact, I'd like to think the ENGL I played was damaged. It sounded that bad. I could hardly believe it, after hearing about how incredibly awesome they are.

If you need a high gain valve combo, and someone offers you a 10-watt hand-wired bluesbreaker type amp with 1 channel, you're not gonna be satisfied. But do you still have to pretend you love it so as not to offend people who will call you a spoilt brat for rejecting a boutique amp?
Last edited by sashki at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by sashki

And you know what? When I had a go with a Valveking (which costs half of what the others do), it got me a pretty darn good tone. I don't see why everyone hates it. Sure, it's no boutique amp, but it sounded pretty darn good to me.
Many say it's too muddy. I used an ESP LTD George Lynch Tiger, which is really bright, so I guess that balanced it out.

And when I tried the more expensive amps, the ENGL and Mesa especially, I was very disappointed. In fact, I'd like to think the ENGL I played was damaged. It sounded that bad. I could hardly believe it, after hearing about how incredibly awesome they are.

Just out of curiosity, what guitar did you use with the ENGL? And if you remember, what settings? When I first tried it out I kind of ignored the 'presence' setting but it turned out quite important. ^^

(Also, the opposite to 'bright' is not 'muddy', it's 'warm' - but I suppose you meant that?)

Edit: looked up the GL Tiger, wow, all maple bolt on, that's gotta be bright. Then I looked up the SD Demon on the SD website: "For balanced and warm instruments. Works especially well with rosewood fingerboards." And now I'm wondering why they recommend the opposite of the guitar it was made for. Oh well

Oh, I was going to play the 'ENGL reveals the true character of your guitar'-card but the GL Tiger looks real nice. Cool
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by OnlyIbanez12

Everyone's jumping on the anti-VK bandwagon now. For the price, they're a pretty solid amp. A little muddy, sure, but the things $420. Reasonable tone for a reasonable price.
Quote by OnlyIbanez12

Well obviously you are assuming that those that have expensive gear have it handed to them. So I guess that means your gear is handed to you? Anyone that gets gear as expensive as a VK is a spoiled. Remember, there are people on this site called "adults" and we have a thing called a "job" and we can work hard and buy our own gear.

And PS. the VK sucks. V30 is nice though
VK might suck for you. I can afford to pretty much buy whatever amp I want up to 2k, and I chose the Valveking 112 as its perfect for what I need. I think it sounds beautiful with my EMG 81/85 SG as well as my fender strat. Some of you are way too critical of stuff you've probably spent 5 minutes (if that) with.
Why the **** are people bashing the VK? It's the best tube amp you'll get in America/Canada for under $700.

It's a fine budget amp, and it dwarfs any amp I've heard in it's price range.

Yeah, it's a little muddy, but a speaker change can make it sound fantastic.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Saying you shouldn't bash a VK because it is the best tube amp under $700 is like saying you shouldn't bash a Kia for being the best car under $9000.

Cheapness does not mean the amp does not have flaws that people can be critical of. It means that for the amp to be so cheap, corners were cut, and there are lots of flaws to be critical of.

Used amps > Cheap new amp.
ahhh i remember when everyone was raving about how good the valveking was and how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread because it was so damn affordable. A tone freak is someone who will go way out of their way to make sure their guitar sounds absolutely perfect on records and on stage
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by eurotrashed
Saying you shouldn't bash a VK because it is the best tube amp under $700 is like saying you shouldn't bash a Kia for being the best car under $9000.

Cheapness does not mean the amp does not have flaws that people can be critical of. It means that for the amp to be so cheap, corners were cut, and there are lots of flaws to be critical of.

Used amps > Cheap new amp.

QFT.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I am a tone freak too, after getting my Roadking, well the possibilities are pretty much endless as a tube modelling amp. I also seem to spend more time clean than distorted these days...never thought I'd say that 5 years ago.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 4, 2009,
Why are people bashing the VK? I got a VK 112, and I love it.

My friend says his Line 6 Spider III 75 is better. Ha.

If you think the VK112 is ****, it's because:

1. Either you've never heard one, or owned one, or tried one. And wanna jump on the bandwagon and be "cool".

2. YOU SUCK AT USING DIALS.
Last edited by TSelman at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by TSelman
Why are people bashing the VK? I got a VK 112, and I love it.

My friend says his Line 6 Spider III 75 is better. Ha.

If you think the VK112 is ****, it's because:

1. Either you've never heard one, or owned one, or tried one. And wanna jump on the bandwagon and be "cool".

2. YOU SUCK A USING DIALS.

3. You've never played a really nice amp and think that the VK is the greatest thing ever because that's the only thing you have to reference (this one's me!)

Yes, the VK must be the best amp ever made with no obvious flaws. It creates the best tone in the world for any type of music, that is why every pro owns one.

It is what it is, a cheap tube amp, it has flaws, it is not the best. Deal with it.
Quote by eurotrashed
Yes, the VK must be the best amp ever made with no obvious flaws. It creates the best tone in the world for any type of music, that is why every pro owns one.

It is what it is, a cheap tube amp, it has flaws, it is not the best. Deal with it.

Has no flaws to me. It's not the best sounding amp. But for the price and power and versatility, it still is the best tube on the market for under $450, except maybe a whole bunch of used peavey and fender amps.

I'd kill for an Orange half stack, but we all can't afford that, now can we?

P.S. - Next time someone wants to edit my post and put number 3 in there. Don't.
Last edited by TSelman at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by TSelman
Has no flaws to me. It's not the best sounding amp.

Contradiction.

I have no argument for that.

If it doesn't sound the best, it has flaws. My Tiny Terror has flaws, but I am working on fixing them. But it is what it is, the only affordable low wattage British amp on the market today.

And I didn't add "3" into my quotes. You edited it out of your posts
Last edited by eurotrashed at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by TSelman
Has no flaws to me. It's not the best sounding amp. But for the price and power and versatility, it still is the best tube on the market for under $450.

I'd kill for an Orange half stack, but we all can't afford that, now can we?

P.S. - Next time someone wants to edit my post and put number 3 in there. Don't.

3. You've never played a really nice amp and think that the VK is the greatest thing ever because that's the only thing you have to reference (this one's me!)

Yeah, but for that much you could get something (used) that's targeted towards your playing styles, instead of a jack of all trades like the VK.

And nobody can edit your post...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by eurotrashed
Contradiction.

I have no argument for that.

If it doesn't sound the best, it has flaws. My Tiny Terror has flaws, but I am working on fixing them. But it is what it is, the only affordable low wattage British amp on the market today.

Not a contradiciton.

VK is a cheap tube amp. It does what it's supposed to do. A real FLAW would be the speaker falling out, the sounding cutting in and out, the knobs not working. It's not a flaw if it does what it has to do.
Quote by TSelman
Not a contradiciton.

VK is a cheap tube amp. It does what it's supposed to do. A real FLAW would be the speaker falling out, the sounding cutting in and out, the knobs not working. It's not a flaw if it does what it has to do.

The amp not having the best tone is a flaw. The amp not being the best is a flaw. Anything negative against the amp is a flaw

If the amp is not perfect, it has flaws. Therefore, the VK has flaws.
Page 1 of 2