let me weave you a tale my friends

basically my bands just started to really get going, we've got our own songs coming along and weve recently started looking for and playing gigs (friends parties etc).
im currently using a line 6 spider III 30w with an FBV express which is fine for a practice amp, but my other guitarist is (besides beign alot better than me) using a crate M-something half stack, which is fvcking loud! and over powers my amp at about 4 when mines cranked.

anywho ill get to the point
i want a new amp (not a solid state) but shud i get a half stack or a combo? id prefer a stack just so i match my other guitarist (on looks). ive been looking at bugeras and the like. oh were hard rock/metal band so i want something that has nice clean/crunch but can keep the volume when the gains maxed (my line 6 gets quiter as you turn up the gain )
would it be better to get a fairly decent head and then a standard cab to start with?
budget isnt set yet as this is a future buy but probly a few hundred pounds ~ 500 or less

sorry for wall of text
Peavey cllassc 50
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
^stratdud

i dunno yet but probly less than 500 (budget)

as for gigs at the moment its just friends parties but hopefully in the spring/summer small clubs with other bands and larger parties with ****loads of people
Last edited by munkyRobb at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by stratdud39
he probably wont need that extra 20 watts
where do you gig TS?

Not just about the wattage. The 50 sounds alot better then the 30 in my opinion and if his gigs get larger in the future he'll never have to upgrade.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Not just about the wattage. The 50 sounds alot better then the 30 in my opinion and if his gigs get larger in the future he'll never have to upgrade.

oh
well he doesnt have the cash for a 50
I dont think the classic series is really suited for metal tbh
and 500 what?
EDIT: nvm he might have the cash if its 500 pounds
if its USD then he wont
Quote by stratdud39
he might have the cash if its 500 pounds
if its USD then he wont

indeed it is 500 pounds

tho having said that chances are as soon as i get even half of that ill spend the whole lot on booze or some other random ****
The Classic 50 has a awesome clean, so if distortion pedals are one's thing, it is a good amp to use. It's also f'ing loud, there ain't a venue which goes unmiced which it couldn't cover. (I can't get the clean channel to break up, i just can't! Maybe with EMG's...)

I find it also that with a overdrive boost, the dirty channel gets a very nice medium to high gain sound, but it's still not metal, more of a heavier rock sound, as it is a rock amplifier. I can give a report how the amp sounds with a Metal Muff later this week.

BUT, it's f'ing heavy. And i mean HEAVY. Very much pain in the ass to lug around.

I think a Valve King would be more of thing for the TS? It goes in the Price Range easily. I myself haven't managed to get awesome sounds out of it, but lot of people think its a great amp
My gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Squier Fat Strat Deluxe
Yamaha FG700 Acoustic
Old Nylonstrung Acoustic

Peavey Classic 50w 2/12
Roland Cube 30X
Roland Cube 60 (30~ years old)
Vox 847A Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Old Ibanez Rack Delay
As I would always suggest; if the budget is tight, go for a combo as they're simply better value and in most cases a stack just isn't needed. For a valve amp with good tone and power to gig at that very popular budget point, it's the usual suspects but good for all that:

Laney VC30-212 for £380. Probably loud enough for your needs, will move plenty air and takes pedals well. It will need pedals to give you enough gain for Metal.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212 for £499. Plenty power, enough speakers and loads of possible tones even if it isn't a 'proper' valve amp.

Marshall DSL401 for £500. This is a one-stop Rock shop and will do everything you need. Loads of great tone and loud enough for your needs.

Peavey Vypyr 60w or 120w for? Thes versions of the excellent Vypyr range are similar in concept to the Spider Valve, though I'd expect it to be rather better in quality. Prices are yet to be announced but I'd expect the 60w valve version to be under £400 and the 120w valve model to be under £500. I'd say that this would be a better bet than the Spider Valve. It's still not a full valve amp but does have a lot going for it.

Clearly I had a similar choice to make with my amp and as you can see, I went for the Marshall with no regrets at all but the others are decent enough amps too.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman

Clearly I had a similar choice to make with my amp and as you can see, I went for the Marshall with no regrets at all but the others are decent enough amps too.

Have you changed the speaker yet? Really improves the tone! At least my friend's one improved a lot.
My gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Squier Fat Strat Deluxe
Yamaha FG700 Acoustic
Old Nylonstrung Acoustic

Peavey Classic 50w 2/12
Roland Cube 30X
Roland Cube 60 (30~ years old)
Vox 847A Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Old Ibanez Rack Delay
alright, in this case, i say line 6 spidervalve.
i have one, its a great amp, it has all the tone you could want in it, but dont expect to get amazing tone with one of the presets, you need to do a little bit of tinkering first.
and its also great if you dont have too many effects, because its a modeling amp!
plus its an all tube amp.
Yes I have. I thought the amp was very good as stock but there's no doubt that a new speaker helps. Mine has a Celestion G12T-75 in it and the valves are now JJ Tesla. I find it has a bit more articulation now and a more pronounced bottom end. I find it's just everything you could want for Rock and Metal, though I think I need to get a pedal of some sort to boost the gain enough for modern Metal.

As far as the Spider Valve is concerned, I'd agree it's worth a look. I tried one before I got the Marshall and I was very impressed until I plugged into the Marshall. In comparison it just sounded too digital still for my tastes but then Line 6 products often do to my ear. The Vypyr sounds better so far than Line 6 products, which is why I suggested looking at the new tube Vypyrs.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Jan 4, 2009,
cheers guys ive been looking at those amps suggested and the peavey vypyrs really catch my eye lol

question on those though, whats the ''patented PowerSponge'' feature on the 75w & 100w amps?
id look at a bugera 333 head on top of an avatar 2x12 (or a 4x12, if you NEED br00t4l looks). it would be good if you want a halfstack.

Quote by munkyRobb
cheers guys ive been looking at those amps suggested and the peavey vypyrs really catch my eye lol

question on those though, whats the ''patented PowerSponge'' feature on the 75w & 100w amps?

peavey vypyrs are nice for modeling amps, but if i had your budget, i'd rather look into amps that specialize in one thing and dont charge you for tons of effects etc. the power sponge basically is an attenuator, meaning you can get the sound of a cranked amp by turning the volume all the way up, then you can lower the volume with the powersponge.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 4, 2009,
hello, old peaveys are the most reliable. lots of issues with the newer stuff. wouldn't get anything over a 60 watter. anything over that and you wasting money time and tone. you will never get it to where you really benifit from the tubes. might as well buy a ss god forbid and a tube pedal. i am selling an ultra 60 head on ebay for $300 best amp i have played in 25yr and i have owned them all. broke my back and now using a pair of pro jr. really great amp very loud for its size and wt with great tone. also tell the othe cat to turn down. key to a great band 1st and foremost is a good mix. seen lots of concerts with bad mixes that made the band look very amaturish
hello, old peaveys are the most reliable. lots of issues with the newer stuff. wouldn't get anything over a 60 watter. anything over that and you wasting money time and tone. you will never get it to where you really benifit from the tubes. might as well buy a ss god forbid and a tube pedal. i am selling an ultra 60 head on ebay for $300 best amp i have played in 25yr and i have owned them all. broke my back and now using a pair of pro jr. really great amp very loud for its size and wt with great tone. also tell the othe cat to turn down. key to a great band 1st and foremost is a good mix. seen lots of concerts with bad mixes that made the band look very amaturish
Granted I went for the full valve route with the Marshall but everyone's different and I'm happy to accept that the Vypyr may well be best for what you're after. The first thing you need to realise is that the 60w Vypyr is a very different beast to either the 75w or 100w version. The 60w uses modeling technology in the preamp stage to generate a wide variety of sounds while the power amp section is fully valve so the signal benefits from some of the organic warmth and harmonic richness that we normally associate with a proper valve amp. Based on the Spider Valve, it will still sound a bit digital in nature and not as nice as a rewal valve amp but if the Vypyr version is better than the Spider Valve (it probably will be) then it should still retain valve-like characteristics. In comparison, the 75w and 100w versions have no valves at all so any valve characteristics it demonstrates are entirely modeled. In terms of power, I'd imagine the 60w to be similar to the 100w but in reality, they're all powerful enough to gig with and should all serve you well. You should be able to try out a solid state Vypyr somewhere now but you may have to wait a month or to for the 60w to arrive in stores.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Bugera or a Modded Valveking with a New Speaker.

If you go used there are even more options available to you.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
i would stay away from those amps (the tone blasters). from what i've experienced with them they are like spiders, entry level amps. buy a tube amp, and then put a good distortion pedal in front of it
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by munkyRobb
what about the head version?
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/68343

then getting a good 2x12 or 4x12 cab?

can someone link me to a good used gear website?

like i said. stick with a tube amp.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional