Hey EG,

I'm looking for a new guitar for gigging as I'm getting rid of my Stratocaster. I'd like to keep this guitar in the 400-800 dollar range as this guitar is for gigging purposes only so I need nothing fancy. I have other guitars for that use.

I play quite a bit of genres so versatility is a key ingredient here. H/H or H/S/S, either is fine. I would prefer to have a hardtail, but a trem system is alright as well.

Right now I'm looking at this:

Click me!

My only gripe with that guitar is the Edge III trem system. Could an Edge Pro or something similar be retrofitted on this guitar? Would an OFR fit in the cavity?

I'm playing through a Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Deuce.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'd say a HSS Stratocaster of some sort (not familiar with the prices of them dollar-wise.).
They would be very versatile with the humbucker, but inclusion on the singles. Aesthetics wise it isn't very genre specific.

Another suggestion would be the LTD PB500 (with the P-rails) humbucker, P90 and single coil sounds in one guitar! I'm not so sure on prices over the pond for it though.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Ok, you are going to have to be a little more specific.

First of all: why get rid of the Strat instead of using that as a gigging guitar?
Second: What other kinds of guitars are there besides gigging guitars? (under $1500, I mean)

Also, what kinds of guitars do you have now, do you prefer, are you used to? What kind of music will you be playing?

Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by chris024
whats wrong with the strat? they take alot of abuse and keep on playing.

I agree.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
For gigs i reccomend something with a fixed bridge, so much less will go wrong

Take a look at the PRS SE series and some of the fixed Ibanez's
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Quote by PCSpeaker
For gigs i reccomend something with a fixed bridge, so much less will go wrong

Take a look at the PRS SE series and some of the fixed Ibanez's

Not a big fan of PRS guitars. I'll pass

Quote by bornfidelity
Ok, you are going to have to be a little more specific.

First of all: why get rid of the Strat instead of using that as a gigging guitar?
Second: What other kinds of guitars are there besides gigging guitars? (under $1500, I mean)

Also, what kinds of guitars do you have now, do you prefer, are you used to? What kind of music will you be playing?

Because I want humbucker bridge tones and a set neck/neck through guitar.

I'm just going to be using it as my gigging guitar because I don't want to bring my Les Paul or my vintage Dean downtown to clubs where they are bound to be stolen.

I'll be playing many things, that's why I say I need versatility. Mostly geared towards the heavier genres.

Quote by Chrisiphone
I'd say a HSS Stratocaster of some sort (not familiar with the prices of them dollar-wise.).
They would be very versatile with the humbucker, but inclusion on the singles. Aesthetics wise it isn't very genre specific.

Another suggestion would be the LTD PB500 (with the P-rails) humbucker, P90 and single coil sounds in one guitar! I'm not so sure on prices over the pond for it though.

I'd like to stay away from an HSS Strat. I'm a bit of a classic kind of guy so the only Strats I'll be having are SSS.

The Potbelly guitars are pretty cool, but I would like something more in the vein of a Superstrat. (I.E. Jackson, Chavel, ESP/LTD M series, Ibanez RG
)
Quote by KG6_Steven
Have you looked at PRS? They make some nice guitars in your price range.

I have looked at PRS guitars. I've played many USA and many SE series guitars and my general consensus is that I'm not a fan of either.

Quote by chris024
whats wrong with the strat? they take alot of abuse and keep on playing.

There's nothing wrong with Strats. I just don't want one right now.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Best bet is to find the guitar with the most comfortable neck. Most important thing in a gig is to be able to play everything with ease. Therefore, try a load of guitars out.
Quote by Horlicks
Best bet is to find the guitar with the most comfortable neck. Most important thing in a gig is to be able to play everything with ease. Therefore, try a load of guitars out.

Ugh, but that takes so much time Horlicks...

I don't mind thinner U profiles like the Wizard or on Jacksons but I would prefer something thicker.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
There's nothing wrong with Strats. I just don't want one right now.

So don't sell it, keep it you small-town girl, that thing is one hell of a nice strat. Anyway, the RG looks good as a humbucker guitar except for the Edge III and the neck-thru. The prior you can do something about, but the latter could be a problem/annoyance.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Ugh, but that takes so much time Horlicks...

I don't mind thinner U profiles like the Wizard or on Jacksons but I would prefer something thicker.

Schecter?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by necrosis1193
So don't sell it, keep it you small-town girl, that thing is one hell of a nice strat. Anyway, the RG looks good as a humbucker guitar except for the Edge III and the neck-thru. The prior you can do something about, but the latter could be a problem/annoyance.

I don't mind neck-through guitars. I had a couple in my time and had no problems with it. Of course, if I did have a problem with it, I'd be pretty screwed.

I'd rather get something new instead of keeping the Strat. I'm liking how it plays less and less each day.

Quote by aznrockerdude
Schecter?

A Schecter wouldn't be so bad. I wouldn't mind a Schecter C1 Blackjack ATX.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by SquierLolz

I'd probably swap that set out since I'm not a big fan of the JB, but I'm definitely going to consider a Schecter.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
If you want a non-fender superstrat with humbuckers but not with a thin neck, that... rules out the RG550 I was going to tell you to get.

(Wizard necks are great!)

Still, don't you value the way a guitar sounds as much as the way it plays? Ibanez and Fender guitars will sound totally different.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
^consider a S-1 too if you're switching out pups
it's doublecut and all
only downside is that it has duncan designed pups
but you're switching 'm out anyway
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't mind neck-through guitars. I had a couple in my time and had no problems with it. Of course, if I did have a problem with it, I'd be pretty screwed.

I'd rather get something new instead of keeping the Strat. I'm liking how it plays less and less each day.

XD Fair enough and fair enough.

Hmm...I'd personally get a Schecter just because besides (depending on your classification) JEM's, and, amazingly, B.C. Rich Warlocks, Schecter makes the only metal guitars I can stand playing for any length of time;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-PT-Standard-Electric-Guitar-513042-i1147944.gc

And yes, I know I just gave you a tele copy...but a nice one. And hey, Pete Townshend used one in the 80's that his techie said was stock. If you don't want the tele design though, try this;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Damien-Special-FR-Electric-Guitar-104990650-i1386621.gc (Top-rated Schecter on GC)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Stiletto-6-Electric-Guitar-515761-i1386628.gc (HSS config, which I recall you saying you like)

I'm probably going to get stoned for giving recommendations that have EMG HZ's, but hey, you can replace them if you don't like them without an incredible amount of wear since their passive and don't have all the battery routing.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
XD Fair enough and fair enough.

Hmm...I'd personally get a Schecter just because besides (depending on your classification) JEM's, and, amazingly, B.C. Rich Warlocks, Schecter makes the only metal guitars I can stand playing for any length of time;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-PT-Standard-Electric-Guitar-513042-i1147944.gc

And yes, I know I just gave you a tele copy...but a nice one. And hey, Pete Townshend used one in the 80's that his techie said was stock. If you don't want the tele design though, try this;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Damien-Special-FR-Electric-Guitar-104990650-i1386621.gc (Top-rated Schecter on GC)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Stiletto-6-Electric-Guitar-515761-i1386628.gc (HSS config, which I recall you saying you like)

I'm probably going to get stoned for giving recommendations that have EMG HZ's, but hey, you can replace them if you don't like them without an incredible amount of wear since their passive and don't have all the battery routing.

The PT is definitely interesting. I like the nod to the older Schecter guitars. It's very refreshing!

Quote by bornfidelity
If you want a non-fender superstrat with humbuckers but not with a thin neck, that... rules out the RG550 I was going to tell you to get.

(Wizard necks are great!)

Still, don't you value the way a guitar sounds as much as the way it plays? Ibanez and Fender guitars will sound totally different.

I never said that I absolutely detested thin necks. I just prefer thicker ones.

I would consider the 550 if it's anything like the original.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
maybe a used SG or LP? or see if you can find a HH tele deluxe reissue? do you want something you can treat like crap and it keep working fine? do you want a "showy" guitar since its gonna be played live? i have a telecaster i use for live and it takes every bit of crap i give it, and wants more. that would be in your price range, but its a SS. its got a nice feeling neck, a bit chunkier than a strat.
Quote by chris024
maybe a used SG or LP? or see if you can find a HH tele deluxe reissue? do you want something you can treat like crap and it keep working fine? do you want a "showy" guitar since its gonna be played live? i have a telecaster i use for live and it takes every bit of crap i give it, and wants more. that would be in your price range, but its a SS. its got a nice feeling neck, a bit chunkier than a strat.

I don't need a showy guitar, had an SG and I'm not really looking to get another one. Any LP that I would consider (By Gibson) is definitely not in my price range.

I had a Telecaster as well and it's not quite what I'm looking for.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't need a showy guitar, had an SG and I'm not really looking to get another one. Any LP that I would consider (By Gibson) is definitely not in my price range.

I had a Telecaster as well and it's not quite what I'm looking for.

*Waits for list of every single guitar H4T3BR33D3R has ever owned*.
Quote by Horlicks

Do you really want one? It's quite long.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Horlicks

This. It's probably easier to make a list of guitars you haven't owned...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
If you have owned that many guitars I'm sure you can figure out what kind you want now . So far we have shoved out every single mainstream guitar and you're still not satisfied. Make up your mind man
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by chris024
it would help

If you insist.

Burny Super Grade
Dean '79 Series Z
Dean 30th Anniversary ML
1983 Dean Z Standard
Epiphone G-400
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Epiphone Goth Explorer
Epiphone Firebird VII
Fender MIM Telecaster
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Fender MIJ Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul Supreme
Gibson SG Supreme
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson RR3
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier JV Stratocaster.

The list could go on.

Quote by aznrockerdude
This. It's probably easier to make a list of guitars you haven't owned...

I've never owned a Travis Bean.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
If you liked the firebird, get a gibson firebird.

Also, instead of getting a shipload of average guitars maybe you should've just gotten a few awesome ones
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
You've had that many different guitars and you still need another one/can't decide on your own?

I like to hear what people have to say, sue me.

Quote by Horlicks
I'm tempted to say that's pretty ****ing close to a penis extension.

My e-penis is massive.

Quote by bornfidelity
If you liked the firebird, get a gibson firebird.

Also, instead of getting a shipload of average guitars maybe you should've just gotten a few awesome ones

That's what I have now. A few awesome ones.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
For a reliable stage guitar, go SG and ffs find one you like 'cos they vary a lor! Or if its a case of absolute abuse, Re-pup a Yammy.
I keep hearing great reviews of Cort guitars and your budget allows almost anything they make. They are hardy and the one I have played was slick as a slick thing.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

A Schecter wouldn't be so bad. I wouldn't mind a Schecter C1 Blackjack ATX.

hmmmmm...very interesting. anyways, id say get this
Quote by chris024
get a fender jazzmaster

much agreement here, that was my first instinct aswell! i love those guitars
jazzmaster is win
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120