I've been looking for a new bass for a while now, and I'm stuck. I REALLY like the look of the Squier bass, especially the 70's vintage one. Does anyone have a Squier? Do you like it? Thanks!
Which model? Squier is just a cheaper line of Fender (guitars and basses). I have a Squier Tele (guitar) and I like it a lot, it's a nice inexpensive guitar. Squier basses are nice too. I was playing a fretless Squier Precision at guitar center and it seemes like a pretty nice bass for its low price.

Quote by Quik Axe Player
Go with a Fender, much better than Squier.

Yes, of course. As long as you can afford it definately get a Fender.
Last edited by food1010 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by food1010
Which model? Squier is just a cheaper line of Fender (guitars and basses). I have a Squier Tele (guitar) and I like it a lot, it's a nice inexpensive guitar. Squier basses are nice too. I was playing a fretless Squier Precision at guitar center and it seemes like a pretty nice bass for its low price.

Yes, of course. As long as you can afford it definately get a Fender.

How much would a Fender cost? Should I be afraid to ask?
What's your budget?

What styles do you like playing?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by CBNJ
How much would a Fender cost? Should I be afraid to ask?

Again, it depends on the model. I'm looking to buy a Jaguar, which costs about $750, but a standard Jazz (which is just about the most common bass in mainstream rock) is about 500 I believe.

EDIT: A standard Precision is 450, I'm not sure what a standard Jazz is. I presume about 500.
Last edited by food1010 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by Nutter_101
What's your budget?

What styles do you like playing?

Maybe around $400 or so. I'm in college with no job. :P I play rock, alt rock, things like that.
Squier is not just a "cheaper" line of fender, saying that insinuates that Jay Turser is just a cheaper line of all their copies. In any case: I've got a VM Tele. It's one of the best playing Tele's I've played (though I haven't played a whole lot of teles) and it's the best sounding tele I've played under $500. In my opinion, those SD designed pups sound better than the Fender Mexico pickups, but no where near as good as the real duncans. Same goes for the VM Squier Jazz, it's a pretty cool bass. My only gripe is how bright it sounds with the maple body. Duncan SJB-2's should solve that problem, though.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by CBNJ
I've been looking for a new bass for a while now, and I'm stuck. I REALLY like the look of the Squier bass, especially the 70's vintage one. Does anyone have a Squier? Do you like it? Thanks!

I started on the cheapest Jazz bass squire do, and never regretted it. The Vintage modified series are really good for the price. Ignore that, really good in pretty much any standards.

Were you looking at the jazz or the precision basses?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I suggest a Jazz bass. VM would be good. Either that or a Precision VM. Try them out and see which you prefer.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by gm jack
I started on the cheapest Jazz bass squire do, and never regretted it. The Vintage modified series are really good for the price. Ignore that, really good in pretty much any standards.

Were you looking at the jazz or the precision basses?

Jazz.
Quote by CBNJ
Jazz.

I had the affinity for a good year and a half and loved it. A VM Jazz will do you well, and goes highly recommended around these parts.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Squier makes good starting products and they are often better than the MiM fenders.
DB Player
Quote by gm jack
I had the affinity for a good year and a half and loved it. A VM Jazz will do you well, and goes highly recommended around these parts.

Would they have them at Guitar Center to try out? In my email today I just got a coupon for 10% on an item there!