this will sound like a noobish question but ive just been given a wah wah pedal (not sure of the brand) and i really dont understand it, so far all i know is that u click the pedal down to get it working...then i can hear the amp change to what i think is wah
does it make a difference on the pedals position? like when i put the pedal almost fully down it sounds different to fully raised somehow?

anyone care to explain to a fool? lol
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
lol
okay
you put your foot on the pedal
and with the pedal all the down with your foot on its heal, you will get a very low sound.
with it at your toes, you will get a very high sound.
so you rock back and forth to your like to get that wah sound
It is not an automatic on/off wah.

When you push it down with with your toe the signal becomes more compressed. When you push back with you heel it is less compressed. Going between the two gives it a "wah" sound. Rock your foot back and forth (from heel to toe).
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
ah right that makes sense, so when its all the way forward its a lower pitched wah and vice versa?

EDIT: so i have to constantly rock it back and forth to make it work??
xxx

Quote by kwidjibo1
ah right that makes sense, so when its all the way forward its a lower pitched wah and vice versa?

Yeah. But believe me that is so much better than an automatic wah; there is nothing more annoying (IMO) than a wah out of sync with the tempo you're playing at.

EDIT:
Quote by Tempoe
lol...listen to metalica

How is this helpful in any way?
Quote by kwidjibo1

actually, vice versa of what you said, and you don't have to rock it back and forth if you don't want to if you find a tone you like, it just sounds cooler to rock the pedal back and forth... lol
ah right then. thanks for all the help people
xxx

Quote by kwidjibo1

No. After you have pressed the button to turn it on, then it's on and fully working.

A lot of times people will rock it back and forth (listen to e.g. the intro to Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), or pretty much all of Metallica's solos), but some people on the other hand like to set it to one position, and just use it there.

How you use it should depend on what sound you want to get.
I just got a wah pedal, and a friend explained to me how it works. The pedal technically only makes the guitar sound in two vowels, the O and the A. When the wah pedal is turned on, having the pedal all the way forward makes an A noise, and all the back (towards the heel) makes the O noise. When you push it from back to forward it makes a 'ooaaa' noise, if you will, which is also perceived as a 'wah' because of the vowel change. It is also capable of the reverse, but sounds a bit more like 'ow'. To get what you want it to do, you're really just gonna have to play around with it.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by Quinlan
I just got a wah pedal, and a friend explained to me how it works. The pedal technically only makes the guitar sound in two vowels, the O and the A. When the wah pedal is turned on, having the pedal all the way forward makes an A noise, and all the back (towards the heel) makes the O noise. When you push it from back to forward it makes a 'ooaaa' noise, if you will, which is also perceived as a 'wah' because of the vowel change. It is also capable of the reverse, but sounds a bit more like 'ow'. To get what you want it to do, you're really just gonna have to play around with it.

that is perhaps the best explination of anything i have ever heard lol cheers
xxx

Quote by Tempoe
lol...listen to metalica

lol! No! Kirk Hammet has some good licks, his solos are ruined by Wah, hence why Unforgiven and Sad But True are his best solos!
Quote by kwidjibo1

You don't have to rock it, but if you want to keep getting the "wah" sound you rock it. It takes some getting used to, but that is how all wah pedals are that aren't "auto wah" (auto wah is crap, do not get it) work.

For example, if im using wah in a solo, I will rock it at desired tempo and on bends and stuff for a deeper effect, but if I set my amp for a really bright clean tone and turn the wah on and leave the toe pushed down, I get a really nice Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" tone.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Last edited by yellowshirtguy at Jan 4, 2009,
Also, if your playing funk music, or some funky stuff, its usual to rock it back and forth according to the beat, normally in Rock (unless your Kirk Hammet) you'd use the pedal to accentuate notes e.i. like a treble boost on a bend
yeah i see what you mean, i have a multi effects pedal (zoom g1) and the wah is just a set thing, which i must admit was really bad cos it was constantly low pitched
xxx

Quote by michal23

How is this helpful in any way?

well, ever heard of influence? most metal guitarists learn a lot of tricks from metallica, and how to incorporate wah's into solos is one of them. unless you thought he meant listening to metallica would help you learn how to turn one on
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
you probably have to step on the wah to make it work
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
i remember when i was buying my wah shortly after i graduated from high school, i was in the music store trying them out. the salesman plugged me into an amp near by, and i started playing to make sure i liked how it was EQ'd, before i turned on the wah. and then he looked at me like i was an idiot, and said, "No man, you have to step on the pedal to engage it first, and then you have to rock it back and forth."

i didnt say anything back, i just looked at him and then started playing haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.